1999 1.1 - Where is the idle control valve - rjtyrell
Hi,

My car doesn't start unless I give it some gas, also the revs are to high when I am stationary. garage has plugged it into the machine and told me its the idle control valve.

I am gonna clean it before spending £90 on the part. I have gone through my haynes manual and I am struggling to locate it. Does anyone have a picture of where it is? or a good description?

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Webmaster on 31/01/2008 at 21:25

Where is the idle control valve - 1999 1.1 - Screwloose
Richard

If you've got a Bosch Mono-point; it's a big motorized pack, bolted to the side of the throttle body with three long bolts, that acts as a variable throttle stop.

Not much can be done with them if they fail. When you turn on the key after switching off at hot idle, you should see it's plunger motor out a few millimeters to open the throttle for starting.
1999 1.1 - Where is the idle control valve - timgti38
Hi, These are really common to fail on pugs and citroens. They are on the side of the throttle body and are usually cylindrical in shape with 2 bolt holes to secure it in place. Some people call them stepper motors and they can be found for sale on Ebay under this as well as pictures. They are around £25 - £30 from Ebay. They are a sealed unit usually but I have prised one open before and glued it back together after a spray of WD40 it was spot on.
Thanks for the replys. I will have another look for it tonight. Should I beable to see this from openin the bonnet or is it a case of having a look from underneath the car?

As had a look last night and couldn't see a cyclinder shape with a wire going into it.
1999 1.1 - Where is the idle control valve - Screwloose
As had a look last night and couldn't see a cyclinder shape with a wire
going into it.

If you've got the Bosch Monopoint; then you won't, because it doesn't have one.

Look on the side of the throttle body for the motorized throttle stop.
Hi Screwloose,

Being a complete novice, if my Bosch Mono Point is faulty then I assume I can get a new one?

Also my haynes manual says I should have a idle control valve, and my garage says I need to replace this as well. Or will this valve be contained inside the Mono Point?

Sorry for being a numpty!!

Before being able to do anything to an injection system it is necessary to identify the system that you are fixing and familiarize yourself with it's components and their locations.

So; please identify the system [PSA use dozens of makes and variants - almost at will] and we'll take it from there.

A Bosch system does not have an idle control by-pass valve in the conventional sense; it uses an external motor to adjust the position of the throttle plate.
Morning,

I have found the stepper motor and the part is
Bosch VAH 96517
0132 008603 058

I have google this and it doesn't bring anything up.
I have located the the part number which is 19205Z.

It is £76 + VAT from German and Swedish or £25 from the scrap yard.

Is is just a case of disconnecting the battery, unpluging the lead, unbolting and then just reconnecting?

ANy help would be great, thanks.
rj

I wouldn't even think of disconnecting the battery - these are plug-and-play.
Cheers Screwloose,

Think I might get one from a scrap hard for £25 and then plug it in and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.