Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - stunorthants26
Misses and I have spent alot of time so far discounting cars that we were going to consider for when we change our old Rover which could be anywhere from the summer to the winter at this stage.

We were leaning towards to Berlingo type cars but neither of us were keen on the cheapskate warranties they all come with, esp since the van versions have in explicably longer warranties for what is essentially the same car! We have also decided that they are a little big for my misses to handle as she thinks she will have too many bumps in a big vehicle.

Anyhow, we discovered that the Yaris had a sliding rear seat which on closer inspection, would allow us to carry a wheel chair upright yet still carry luggage aswell. It still leaves enough legroom for kids so that wasnt an issue.
Yesterday we also looked at the Colt ( also with sliding rear seat )which we were very impressed with even if the boot didnt look as big as that of the Yaris, we decided we needed a tapemeasure to really make sure.
We have looked at just about every model there is available but so few offer that flexible boot/passenger space that we want.

The models we are looking at as it stands are the Colt CZ1 1.1 5dr and the Yaris 1.0 T3 5dr.

Does anyone have any experience of these cars with these engines? Are there any big issues with them other than not being very fast?

Both have extendable warranties which we like and both seem to cost a similar amount to run. The Colt LOOKS narrower but may just be the boxy styling making it look so.
The Colt also has more space for drivers knees as my misses being all of 5 ft has to sit close to the wheel and in so many cars we tried her knees fouled the lower dashboard.
The Yaris on the other hand is a very classy feeling car and feels just that bit more grown up, as well as a more adventurous interior.

We would like a third car to compare these two up against but finding something has proven rather difficult. Really we either need a sliding rear seat or at the very least, a large boot with an adjustable backrest to allow us to store the wheelchair vertically.

Really looking for feedback from owners if poss, Im sure Ive heard a Colt owner in here at some point chip in :-)

Oh and yes we looked at the Jazz but we didnt think much of it at the price they ask for them.
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - helicopter
SWMBO had the 1 litre Yaris which we bought at two years old.

I was suitably impressed but she did find it underpowered and now has the 1.3 litre GXL.

The only issue we had with the 1 litre was the clutch , a noticeable squeak when putting the car in reverse worried me and was diagnosed as a fault and the clutch was replaced under warranty with no hassle.

We later found that the clutch had already been replaced under warranty at one year old . The Toyota dealer reckoned it was a very common problem and I was not convinced at the time that it would not reoccur

Having said that the 1.3 we have is on a 52 plate with 40 K plus and has just sailed through the MOT. We have only had the normal service, tyres and brake replacements and the only advisory on the MOT was front suspension rubbers were starting to go. Our own mechanic checked them out and said they were good for a couple of years ..

Its a lovely little car.

As a third car , why not check out the 1.4or 1.6 Honda Civic. The 2000 model on is huge in the rear because the dash mounted gearstick means no transmission tunnel .With split rear seats it can carry a huge load. the only issue is the legroom for driver and front passengers with long legs is curtailed by the dash mounted gearbox.

You should have no problem with an extended warranty if you go to a Honda dealer. They know they are on to a good thing and will have nothing to pay out - With Honda reliability is a given and my local dealer is a pleasure to deal with.

I had the 1.6 Civic and it gave me five years of absolutely trouble free motoring. One window motor went in warranty and that was it.
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - y2k+4
I'd measure them up against the other main Japanese contender of the moment - the Nissan Micra. I can't say I'm a fan of the exterior, but it does seem shockingly good value.
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - Happy Blue!
Try a Nissan Note.
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - BobbyG
Skoda Roomster the 2 outside seats slide back and forth.
The Note is a little expensive although perhaps if there were good deals out there, perhaps? Are they reliable though?
The Micra didnt look like it had a very big boot, main reason why we discounted it.

I looked at a Roomster but again, warranty seems short at only two years manufac' and while Skoda do well in satisfaction surveys, VAG cars in general dont seem to be as reliable as they could be, which I find very off-putting.

Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - bintang
We are very pleased with our two-year-old, 1.1 Colt. It is very roomy and likes to be hustled. Teething problems were the traditional "funny noise", tracked down to a stray bolt rolling around somewhere and a gear lever top sleeve that came off (but left the lever intact). On-going niggles, a battery that needs topping up (I thought those had gone) and the fact that, with the rear seats fully folded down, front legroom is reduced.
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - daveyjp
Old Yaris - 1.0 engine probably accpetable, new Yaris probably not. Like all second generation motors the new one has put on a bit of weight.

I have a friend with a forfour 1.1 (same enigne as Colt) and she doesn;t complain of it being underpowered.
The Civic is way beyond our £9-10k budget for a new car as they start at around 12k dont they? I dont want a used one.

So do Mitsubishi not replace the battery then if its faulty? Sounds odd!
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - helicopter
Sorry Stu - didn't realise you wanted brand new. How about the Jazz then as your third option?

Why not check out HJ's new cars tab above right - I see Drive the deal have an offer OTR £8640 for a 1.2i DSI -S 5 door Jazz .
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - Bill Payer
My daughter has a Colt 1.1 CZ1 5dr (with a/c), which I helped her buy, and we've had for a year. We also have a Jazz (Mrs BP's car really, but I drive it quite a lot around town).

I'm pretty impressed with the Colt - it's very similar size/shape/look to the Jazz, but was about £3000 cheaper. (We paid £7500 for the Colt, in non-metallic red). They may be available even cheaper now.

I've driven it 4 up at "motorway" speeds and would say it's fine. The 3 cyl engine works well (we also have a 3cyl Ibiza and the engine in that is horrible at low speeds). The gear change is bit baulky - I gather this is common on Mitsubishi's - the Jazz's of course works perfectly.
Around town it actually rides better than the Jazz, but it seems more flexible where the Jazz just feels solid. if you test drive Colt, make sure you test a 5dr - the 3dr is a bit different and the lack of rear doors no doubt increases the body rigidity.

I would say that you can see where they've save money compared to Jazz - the plastics are plentiful and cheap feeling, some bits don't fit together all that well, there's no engine undertray etc - but then it is £3000 less. It's got all the essential basics (if you add a/c) - we looked at Polo not many years ago and there was no remote locking and it had a cassette player! Mitsubishi are also doing a 3yr service package for £150 which is quite a bargain - we just missed out on that, and I'm not happy about it!

One thing which I do have a bit of concern about is that you don't see many Colts on the road (to be fair we are some way away from the nearest dealer) but m impression is that it doesn't sell very well and it looks like their used prices are quite low. On the Auction report a couple of wks ago there were a bunch of Colt's like this one: "1.1 Black 5-dr, 2005/55, 14k miles £3,750s."
Just to add: in the same auction report a 6yr old Yaris sold for £3K (maybe that was truely exceptional).

I was a bit concerned (buying Colt for daughter) about lack of airbags in Colt - 2 in CZ1. yaris T3 has 7!

Battery not been an issue - checked it a couple of times but not needing topping up (car only used around town). In theory this type of battery should last a little longer than a sealed one, filled with gel.
Another thought (sorry!):
Surely the Yaris T3 is about the same price as the Jazz (around £10,500 at list)? Are they available heavily discounted?
We were looking at a special edition Yaris Silver(?) when we bought the Colt. Yaris Silver was a T3 with met paint (silver!) and alloys and was available for a bit under 10 grand, which daughter thought was too much.
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - madf
Discount sites have lots of Yaris (Yaris?) at well under list.

My experience of Toyota dealers (diesel Yaris) is very good. Not that I have needed them apart from servicing. Lots of them and cheap servicing and they do compete on price... (I saved £15 on a £120 service)..

No experience of Colts but limited dealerships here.

Careful buying can get a low mileage Yaris very cheaply....
Indeed the Yaris may have a list price thats high but discounts seem to be plentiful hence its under consideration.

Im not too fussed about the quality of interior plastics at this end of the market and as has been said, the Colt is that much cheaper than the Yaris, so one must give it some leeway for that. Its much more important that its screwed correctly in my opinion.

Im just going out to look at a Micra, see what it offers in terms of space.
Of course, I was going to look at a Micra until the Nissan website basically told me that no town near me has a dealer - Northampton isnt that out in the backwoods is it? Worse, such is the foolish set up that it doesnt even tell me where my nearest dealer is - you have to guess what towns might have one and try your luck.
Awful start.
Remember the rear seats slide in a Micra as in the Yaris...and ofc, they're very heavily discounted, so you could get a lot of equipment for your cash. I vaguely recall Richard Hammond in a review of the Micra saying it was built well, without using the top-grade plastics, which sounds spot-on for what you're after...
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - jbif
warranty seems short at only two years manufac'

In your previous MEGA thread on your search for a new car, I think the thrust of advice was NOT to get to hung up about warranty.

However if you are basing your choice heavily on warranty and reliability, then Hyundai with 5 and 7 year warranty has to be your only friend.

In your previous MEGA thread on your search for a new car

Also, you were advised that you were likely to be better off NOT spending all the cash, and instead you could afford a higher spec car by going for an option which allows you to get a new car every two or three years:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=58...0

So look at your options again, consider all the advice offered, and you are likely to be able to drive a brand new car better suited to your ambitions.
I want to own my car outright and I intend to keep it for some time. Ive already found two cars that suit my ambitions very well. Im not interested in the slightest in a buying plan other than that which I already have. It will be kept for a 5 year minimum

I am hung up on warranty because unlike many here, I do not accept unreliability is part of new car ownership and unreliable cars generally have shorter warranties because obviously the more problems a car is likely to have, the more it will cost the maker so they want to cut the car loose asap.
As such, a maker who is willing to warrant a car for a decent period of time obviously has some confidence in their product. Simple as.

Hyundai Getz doesnt offer a practical boot shape for a wheel chair but otherwise a nice enough car, nor does the Kia Rio.
Im[siic] not interested in the slightest in a buying plan other than that which I already have. It will be kept for a 5 year minimum

But then you did say:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=58191&...7
"Im[sic] toying with the idea of buying a brand new car, to keep 15-20 years "

and then changed your mind to:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=58790&...e
"I was wondering in my mind if one keeps a car for 1,2 or 3 years, so it is in warranty period, how much it is likely to loose[sic] in value and at which point is best to get a new one again? It would certainly reduce the need for an overlly[sic] reliable car. ... How much per year should one put aside to replace a car that costs say £9000 after 1,2 or 3 years? Id replace the car every year if it didnt[sic] cost much. "

Oh well. it is your money and your choice and you are entitled to ignore any replies you don't like ! :0)
Time for me to shut up, I think.

Edited by jbif on 31/01/2008 at 20:13

Thats perhaps why I started a new thread and said id moved on from previous ideas!

It may well change but Im thinking 5 years is a sensible point to work to and then see how we feel about the car at that point and if it still does what we want it to. At this point, money is looking tighter than we thought on account of a wedding to pay for.
I've just seen an ad for the new FIAT Bravo, that comes with a 5 year warranty. Whilst it may be a little big, it is very nice looking car and backed up with that reassurance, and starts at £11k. I imagine haggling, which seems easy enough, should net one within your budget...
Yes I saw one in the showroom - its quite big sizewise but bootspace isnt huge given its dimensions although I had a quick look rather than actually measuring it up so maybe I should. Only real issue is that the diesel starts at near £14k and a petrol with A/C is £12k still. Will have a look in a few months, see if the deals are getting better yet as he car is still new.
Shame the Grande Punto doesnt have the same warranty really as I like the car.
Given how cheap it is, and as you say, you really like it, could you not enquire about extended warranty?
They wont extend it, ive already asked. It has only two years manufac' warranty and they will not offer an extension of this. The 3rd year dealer warranty isnt anywhere near as good as it doesnt cover things like wiring and trim faults, only mechanical and electrical components themselves according to the dealer - the sort of warranty that would drive me nuts trying to work out what was covered.

Shame but thats Fiat for you.
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - T Lucas
Be careful,you are in very real danger of a smooth salesman taking your indecsion and confusion coupled with your desire for a long warranty and wedging you into something that doe not suit your requirments.Think lion pack and young/wounded wildebeest.
I have worked in the motor trade since I was 18 which makes it ten years now - never met a salesman who could talk me into anything as I usually do my homework on a car before I arrive, often I know more about them than they do, such was the case with a Citroen salesman who thought he was Gods gift but had no idea that when launched, the Berlingo was a 3dr!

The only thing I havent done is driven many of the newer models and obviously havent owned them all, which makes the BR a great resource because owners experiences are very telling and they point out some obscure but often useful things you only notice when you live with a car.

The most likely candidate for being 'wedged' is the salesman when me and the Mrs do our good cop bad cop routine to get the price we want - if we have to chase him into a corner and beat a good deal out of him, we are always game - she loves playing the hard to please misses, even though her true nature is quite the opposite :-)

I once asked for another salesman on account of the fact the salesman I was dealing with had no manners and didnt have a clue - I wonder what his boss said to him when I had gone ( and I bought the car too from the far better replacement salesman ).
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - T Lucas
They probably shared the commision and had a good laugh about 'the mug punter that got all stroppy but still bought the car'Boss could not care less,they still sold a car between them.
They probably shared the commision and had a good laugh about 'the mug punter that
got all stroppy but still bought the car'Boss could not care less they still sold
a car between them.

Where I used to work, any salesman who couldnt sell a car to someone who wanted to buy on account of their attitude would have been put in a dark corner somewhere or sacked - the skill of car sales is selling a car - if you cant manage it, your out - its not a team game. Commissions arent shared.
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - grumpy100
My opinion, for what it is worth, is that the Toyota is a better car.

I would be wary of the opinion of anyone who is using knowledge of the previous generation 1 litre Yaris in order to reply to this thread, as they are very different beasts. The previous yaris had a 4 cylinder engine, whereas the current one has a 3 cylinder unit of a totally diferent design. Yes the car is now heavier, but the engine produces more power.

I have just been driving a new Yaris whilst my car was in for a service. It was not quick, but it was willing, easy to drive and eager. The power was easy to access, its just that there wasn't much of it. That said it kept up with traffic (up to 70 mph) with no problem, and I would certainly consider one if I was getting a smaller car. The group 1 insurance and good economy and emissions are worth considernig too, as is the fact that it is a timing chain not a belt.

I have less exaperiance of the colt but I have been in one. I prefer the Yaris.
Many thanks for that feedback on the Yaris, it does feel like a different beast to the Colt - I certainly prefer the interior - its whether its worth another thousand over the Colt.

What is the torque like? What engine was it you drove? 1.0?
What is the torque like?

In Clarkson speak - "the engine doesn't have many torques".

It needs revving to get anything out of it, but it is a VVTi unit so has no problem in this regard. If the gearbox is similar to the Aygo 2nd is good for nearly 50mph and 3rd will get you beyond the motorway limit.
I tend to change up quite early, usually into 5th by 35-40 mph - would this not suit the Toyota? I used to have a Matiz 800cc and that was ok driving like that if not very fast!
I tend to change up quite early usually into 5th by 35-40 mph - would
this not suit the Toyota? >>

That could open a whole discussion about correct gear usage - lets just say 5th at 35 mph is very inefficient.

I need a 40 limit before the car sees 4th gear. 3rd is a very flexible gear, keeps you in control, provides adequate engine braking and mpg is still mid 40s in urban traffic.

I was advised that if you are in a 30 zone urban environment, with moderately heavy traffic, lots of hazards and you have to use your brakes you are probably in too high a gear.

At a max of 30 with anticipation and liting off the gas the engine braking should be enough to slow you, this means 3rd in a 30 in the Aygo. Using 4th at 30 causes the engine to labour.
I think what gears you use at what speeds depends entirely on the ratios - my Suzuki van has very low gearing which means that it will happily do 30 in 5th and pull away in 2nd in the same way that most people would in 1st, whereas my Rover diesel is barely turning over at 30 in 4th.

This was why I asked about the gearing as often they have lower gearing on small engines to hide the lack of power, but you soon discover it at motorway speeds!

Ive found this a very efficient way of driving for my own cars altho I dont let the car get laboured in a high gear on a hill, but on the flat or down hill, I tend to slip into top gear with barely any throttle - it has worked for economy with all the cars ive ever owned altho obviously better with larger engined cars.
Many thanks for that feedback on the Yaris it does feel like a different beast
to the Colt - I certainly prefer the interior - its whether its worth another
thousand over the Colt.
What is the torque like? What engine was it you drove? 1.0?

>>

Sory for not making it clear. The Yaris I drove was a new 1 litre 3 cylinder one. It wasn't fast like I say but the torque was available from low revs and I found it quite relaxing to drive, but with a 'thrummy' engine sound.

I was happy to get my Avensis back but I did quite like the Yaris.
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - slowdown avenue
who is the wheelchair for
snip!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/02/2008 at 00:15

My grandmother
Shes indirectly paying for the car so no im not going to buy a car without consideration to her as I ferry her around.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/02/2008 at 00:16

Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - slowdown avenue
well you best consider how she could access both the cars .i have at home a carony wheel chair , this replaces the passenger seat, had been fitted to a 3 door corsa. consider that gran might get less able .
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - kilrail
Very interested in the carony system fitted to a corsa as my mum has had a stroke and my dad would only want to drive a small car. We have seen the carony fitted to a vauxhall zafira but that would be too big for him.
If we could find a secondhand corsa fitted already would be ideal but search engines struggle to find anything.
Is your Gran happy with it and does it work well?
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - Avant
Stu - I seem to remember from a previous thread that your gran was giving you £10k for a new car. The Jazz seems expensive, but when we got SWMBO's 1.4 SE in 2002 (one of the first ones in) its list price was £10,250: it's gone up only to £10,967 now. You might get something off the current one as a new model is coming later this year. A 1.2 might be a bit underpowered.

But the main advantages of the Jazz are ease of entry (it's taller than the Colt or Yaris), and the 'magic seat' means that you can put a wheelchair in the well in front of the folded-up back seat if you only have her as a passenger. It might well go in the boot if you have people in the back. Being taller it could be easier for Gran to get into than the Colt or Yaris.

Best to try them out and see which she finds easiest to get into. The Colt is certainly a lot cheaper than the other two.

Edited by Avant on 02/02/2008 at 13:16

stunorthants:
You say you have done your research. Yor car is to be used for a wheelchair passenger.
So why is Motability not an option?

Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - madf
I researched a s/h Jazz. Found about gearboxes... (see separate thread). And the ride.
So I went no further.

If you are buying for a long time,
1. Don't buy a NEW (as in all new) model. Faults show up in 4-5 years old cars.
2. Don't buy a car with known design faults.

Research is easy: read the guides and the Owners Club forums.

If there are lots of complaints you know it's a waste of space.

A Honda Jazz may be a great car when new but the CVT auto neeeds expensive maintenance and the manual gearbox has built in weaknesses.

If consumers could be bothered... but most don't.

Edited by madf on 02/02/2008 at 14:37

My grandmother only has to use the car once a week usually and for to weeks in the year for family holidays ( which she pays for! ), so I never really looked into motability and given that the cars main use is for myself , not for her, Im fairly sure our justification to qualify would be minimal at best.
She is able to walk and sit in a normal car seat ok, she just cannot walk more than say 15 ft as her legs can give out at any time and her balance is terrible.

She used to find the Yaris Verso a perfect height for getting into as she neither fell down into it as in my mums Hyundai Coupe or had to climb up as with my van.
The Yaris does seem to be of similar seat height and accessability as is the Colt.

I have as mentioned read about the gearbox issues with the Jazz and I dont fancy me a slice of them tbh!

So far the Colt and the Yaris are the only real contenders - I wish there were more but flexible loadspaces in superminis dont seem to be the norm mores the pity.
Don't know if this interests you but the TR spec Yaris seems rather good value. It has everything a T3 has plus alloys and something else (Ican't remember what) for about £1000 less than a T3. The spec includes things like aircon.

Also if you look on drive the deal's website they are knocking about £1500 off the price, you can get a 3 door one for £7900.
I have indeed seen the amount they are knocking off them which was why I have put it up against the Colt although im sure the Colt has some margin too.

I just looked up the Micra of th CBC but it seems Renault have infected Nissan with their reliability woes, which rather defeats the object of buying a new car to my mind.
Mitsu Colt vs Toyota Yaris - CheapNcheerfull
Stu,

2001, 1ltr Yaris CDX, 2 kids in car seats full boot, full 250ltr roof box, 850 mile journey to SW France last summer, no problems !!!!!