High milage or scratched door/wing?? - Barnaby Aldrick
Hi - I'm looking at buying a Renault Clio and have seen two locally - though both have issues and I'd be interested in hearing peoples thoughts...

Car1: 2001 RENAULT Clio RSi 1.6 16v (£1600)
It's apparently in perfect mechanical condition, but has done 109K miles. Would anyone reccommend against a car of this milage? Apparently the timing belt was recently changed.

Car2: 1999 S Reg RENAULT Clio 1.2 RT (£1500)
This car (89K miles) is also mechanically sound, but has significant scratches on the driver side wing and door. Would it be expensive to remove the scratches?

Both cars look great and have the mod cons I'm looking for (power steering/windows/locks & Alloys) but I wonder which would be the best to go for? High Milage or scratched paintwork?

Thanks for your time...
High milage or scratched door/wing?? - a900ss
I can't comment on values of the cars or reliability of the engines but one has done 89k and the other 109k, hardly a huge difference is there?

For me (admitting not knowing values of these cars), I'd go with the one with the undamaged doors, newer, bigger engine and only £100 more.

Good luck.
High milage or scratched door/wing?? - Billy Whizz
Barnaby, welcome to the BackRoom.

Personally I would be much more tempted by car1 - it is newer, has a bigger engine and is without ugly scratches. The extra miles should not be an issue if it has been cared for.

edited for: shpelling

Edited by Billy Whizz on 28/01/2008 at 12:39

High milage or scratched door/wing?? - cheddar
It is only 20k more, go for the newer better equipped RSi that has had its cambelt done, it will have things like aircon that the 1.2 wont have.

Unless of course insurance is an issue in which case the 1.2 will be cheaper to insure.

We have had a similar age 1.6 RXE Clio since nearly new and it has been great so if these have been looked after they should serve you well.
High milage or scratched door/wing?? - Saltrampen
As a very general rule, if someone cannot be bothered to fix scratches, they are probably not bothered to fix minor mechanical niggles either. Although any car with these mileages will need careful inspection.