04 1.4s - PO300 ECU code - sluggish, loss of power - chris_77
Hi,

I'm after a little help / advice please.....

My Peugeot 206 1.4s is just 7 weeks out of the manufacturer's warranty and the ECU light is on. The car has little acceleration, seems constantly about to stall and the drive is badly affected. I've had the error independently diagnosed as code PO300 (multiple part misfire). The engine tuning guy told me to replace the ignition coil pack and spark plugs as this is a common fault with Peugeot 206s. If that didn't work, worryingly the problem is likely to have spiked and ruined the actual ECU, a much more costly affair. I've had the ignition coil pack and spark plugs changed. This fixed it for a couple of miles driving and then the issue is right back.

Peugeot confirm that they won't offer assistance outside of the warranty, claiming as they weren't the dealer they won't offer goodwill. I bought it brand new from a popular discount car website.

I need the car fixing asap. Should I take the car to my Peugeot dealership, pay the £80 diagnosis fee and ask that no work is undertaken without my prior consent? If the issue is down to wear and tear, I'll happily pay to fix the problem however if this is a faulty part then can I approach the company that sold it me 3 years ago and ask for them to fix it? The Sale of Goods Act covers me for up to 6 years with any inherent fault. For example, I'd expect a car's coil pack and ECU to last beyond 36 months. Tyres, brake pads, wipers etc I would expect to replace but not these things.

Also, if the company refuses to help, can I pay to fix it yet still begin a legal dispute to get that money back? Or must I not have the car fixed until there is an agreement?

Any advice will be very appreciated, I have no idea what to do here.......

Chris

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/01/2008 at 03:48

PO300 ECU code - sluggish, loss of power - Screwloose
Chris

Sagem-branded coilpacks fail in droves on these - I hope you replaced it with the alternative Bougicord-Electrofil one? [There are other possible causes of P-0300; so keep an open mind and don't be tramlined.]

The likeliest reason that they fail is the use of non-genuine plugs; these MUST have the right plugs or the deeply-weird and unique "phase-detection" feedback from coil to ECU is damaged and the ECU gets spiked.

A new ECU and security recoding will set you back up to £800 at the dealers. I just send these off to BBA-Reman for testing and, if found faulty, they can either repair yours or provide a free-running [no security code] new unit for a great deal less.

As to getting anything out of Peugeot - good luck.