Power Steering Fluid - JonShread
I have a 2001 Volvo V70 2.4 and when checking fluid levels I noticed that the power steering fluid was a little low.
The dealer has fluid but it is about £18 for a 1 lit bottle.

My query is, can you use any power steering fluid in this car, the dealer implies not and that it must be Volvo fluid.

As I only need about an eggcup full I'm not happy to spend so much on a whole litre.
Power Steering Fluid - Cyd
The fluid in your PAS is most likely to be ATF to Dexron II. Your dealer (or the car handbook) should tell you this (you need the spec of the fluid - not just a vague description like "Volvo PAS fluid"). If it's a thin oil and red in colour, then it's ATF. Halfords have an application guide for oils, you could try checking this for the correct grade (in store only).

Most motor factors sell ATF in 500ml bottles - an independant make should set you back around £2 or a top brand £3 or so. Some factors sell it in 250 ml bottles labeled as PAS fluid. As long as you keep the bottle closed it will keep on your garage shelf indefinately.

How low is 'low'? The reservoir should have a max & min mark - you will only need to top up if the fluid is below the min mark. Unless there is a leak the fluid cannot go anywhere, so it's likely the level has been like this from new. If you have the slightest suspicion the level has gone down, then top up to a known mark and monitor the level over a few weeks or months. If it does go down, have the leak traced and fixed.
Power Steering Fluid - THe Growler
We've always used regular ATF for years in all our various cars, altho' STP does a specifically named "power steering" fluid.
Power Steering Fluid - Armitage Shanks {p}
I had 'low' power steering fluid, I'd checked the level on a slope! I bought Dextron II that I didn't actually need and it was £2.99 for a half litre
Power Steering Fluid - Ian (Cape Town)
I have a 2001 Volvo V70 2.4 and when checking fluid
levels I noticed that the power steering fluid was a little
low.

Why? I didn't think a one-year old car should lose fluid...
The dealer has fluid but it is about £18 for a
1 lit bottle.
My query is, can you use any power steering fluid in
this car, the dealer implies not and that it must be
Volvo fluid.

I'd ask some serious questions of the dealer.
(1) why is there a leak/loss on a relatively new car
and
(2) what in god's name happened to customer service, if he is prepared to take a lot of your hard-earned cash for the car, and won't oblige you with an "eggcup full" for free? (but wants another 18 sovs...)

Power Steering Fluid - Richard Turpin
Just make sure it does not need mineral oil which is normally green. The other stuff makes it leak. look in the handbook.
Power Steering Fluid - Peter D
Contact Europarts and or German and Swedish ( No its not a magazine. ) and check whether they stock the item. They do for VW steering Jumps. Both have online sites watch the P&P as it would pay to buy in some air, pollen and oil filters if you do your own sevicing. They may not be allowed to ship the fluid in the post and you may have to travel to your nearest trade counter.

Regards Peter 15 years a Volvo owner.
Power Steering Fluid - Graham
Peter. Do you have the URL for German and Swedish, I've searched and cannot find.
TIA
Power Steering Fluid - Peter D
Sure,

Eurocarparts.co.uk

0208 956 5000

German and Swedish Not sure about URL but 0208 893 1688

Bye