Vectra 2.2 MPFI - Mark (RLBS)

Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances, I have broken yet another car. Since I am only in Brazil for a further 5 weeks, they've kind of gone off the idea of giving me anything nice, so they've given me the Vectra.

I've only been driving it for two days, but why does everyone hate them ?

Ok, its not a luxury car, but its well equipped and has got plenty of go. Its quite fun on the windy beach road through the hills and it seems to go around corners well, it seems pretty good on the highway, and its easy to drive in town.

I could only make two niggly complaints; I don't like the window switches being next to the gear lever, I would prefer them on the door, and I don't like the way the revs drop slowly when you take your foot off.

Other than that, I think its very good at being what it is.

M.

p.s. yes, I know its being replaced.
Vectra 2.2 MPFI - SjB {P}
As you've no doubt seen from previous posts, I like my GSi Estate rather a lot too, and the SRi Estate I had before that.

Regarding the window switches, I too used to think the same as you, Mark, have coming from previous cars that had the switches on the door trim.
Having now lived with the above two Vectras for over five years, however, IMHO, I think that Vx have got it right.
The reason?

I am in the habit of opening the window when slowing down for a junction, especially in poor weather.
Because the switches are located next to the gear lever, I can keep one hand on the wheel at all times.
This applies too when moving off from rest, and closing the window.
No swapping hands between gear changing and window closing.

I also like the facts that (1) the windows continue to close after the key has been removed from the ignition, and (2) a forgotten, open, window can be closed by holding the key in the drivers door lock in the 'closed' position whilst it winds up. Two of many nice touches.

/Steve
Vectra 2.2 MPFI - Flat in Fifth
Mark,

What do you think of the ride and driver seating position? If you have one of the higher spec versions with bigger wheel dia the suspension gets rather solid in my opinion. Plus the offset wheel pedals twists the spine if not enough care taken in finding seating position.

I think the revs dropping slowly is an emission thing and is not confined to Vectras BTW.

ciao.
Vectra 2.2 MPFI - Mark (RLBS)
What do you think of the ride and driver seating position?

Fine. Or rather, since I didn't notice, I take that to be fine, since if it was awkward I would have noticed.

The only control I find irritating is the window controls. And whilst I take the point about not using the other hand, they could still be somewhat more reachable.

I'd rather the steering wheel pulled towards me a little, but that's only because I have a rather relaxed, slouchy position. I tend to sit with my bum quite close and my legs bent, but then have the seat quite reclined so that my arms are straight-ish.
wheel dia the suspension gets rather solid in my opinion.

It is pretty solid, but not so much that the females in the family complain. And I quite like it for whipping around the roads. I think its the 2.2 MPFI GLS, for whatever that means.
I think the revs dropping slowly is an emission thing and
is not confined to Vectras BTW.

Not surprised. But its irritating. Especially if I floor it in one gear to catch up with traffic but then drop it into a higher gear having caught up. It has a few seconds of a "surge -y" feeling.

M.

p.s. forget your bacon buttie, on Sunday night I had a Kebab with all the trimmings including outrageously hot chilli source, with chilli peppers on top. Of course, the rather startingly large number of London Prides immeidately before helped it taste better.
Vectra 2.2 MPFI - John S
Mark

As I've often said about my old 2.0 SRi, not perfect but nowhere near as bad as Jeremy Clarkson reckons.

80k in four years, no problems of any consequence, excellent motorway cruiser, decent performance, comfortable and economical. Don't forget they won Fleet Car of the Year several times, and that's votes from the people who pay the bills! Very much at odds with J D Power.
Regards

John S
Vectra 2.2 MPFI - John S
HJ

I don't disagree. The Vectra isn't as good dynamically as some cars, but it's a good motorway car, which is how many are used. After a couple of motorway trips in a friends Alfa, I found the 'tuneful' engine was a damn nuisance, so it's horses for courses.

The key point I was trying to make was that I can't square the apparent low fleet running costs with the dire results of the JD Power reliability survey.

Regards

John S