2003 PD130 owner's report - craig-pd130
I?ve had my Passat B5.5 PD130 sport (6-speed manual) for 5 years and 62,000 miles, and it?s making way for a new Mondeo.

For what it?s worth, here?s my impressions and experience of ownership.

First, I didn?t really run it in, I just drove it. Even keeping below 3K rpm, you?re still moving quite nicely.

It?s been serviced at 10K intervals, using 505.01 oil (not long life). Uses about half a pint of oil between changes.

Pros: grunty engine, the trademark PD instant torque, and perfect ratios in the top 4 gears mean overtaking and cruising is always quick, punchy and stress free.

Excellent m/way cruising at 2700rpm in 6th (about 85mph). This gives an average of 50 ? 55mpg on a run. This car really is more economical cruising at this speed than at 70mph, where you?re constantly swapping lanes and unable to maintain steady throttle due to trucks, etc.

Long-distance comfort is good, and the cabin is a nice place to be for 500-mile days. Sport suspension controls body roll well.

Big boot swallows all the gear needed for a 2-week family holiday.

Interior and exterior finish has held up very well, even the alloys still come up nice despite being washed only once every 3 months.

Cons: handling is, er, safe. Very little feedback or involvement, but understeer does not become terminal. Ride can be a bit jarring and crashy over bumps.

Refinement could be better, the engine is quiet & smooth at cruising speed but in town and when cold, it thrums and throbs prominently (although a bit less now it?s properly loosened up).

The front suspension knuckle joint, the B5.5 Achilles Heel, got me at the second MOT. £400 for one side only at a good independent. VAG dealer price £550.

Average fuel consumption: 46.5mpg over the period of ownership (real mpg, not on the trip computer). This is brilliant for a fairly hard-driven, 1.4 tonne family barge.

Apart from the knuckle joint, I?ve had one hose clip on the intercooler break (my fault for fiddling), and one brake light bulb blow. That?s it. Still on original clutch, brake pads & discs.

One tip ? Conti SportContacts are the best tyre for longevity. The factory-fit set lasted 33K on the front, and 50K rear.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/01/2008 at 10:40

2003 Passat PD130 owner's report - 659FBE
Thanks for that - my Skoda Superb is essentially the same car with a longer wheelbase. I assume you have the AWX engine. Mine gives similarly good economy when not towing but how did you get the rear pads to last so long (mine were down to 2mm at 20k miles)? Thanks also for your tyre observations - I have these on one axle only with the original Dunlops on the front.

It will be very interesting to see if your Mondeo matches the durability of the VW - front suspension aside. In view of the changes VAG have made to the PD engines (twin cam + balancers) I would not now buy another - pity.

I do hope that - regardless of manufacturer - cars giving this level of performance and economy (diesel of course) continue to be available. I have a real suspicion that legislation in the form of Euro IV and beyond has killed them off.

2003 Passat PD130 owner's report - cheddar
It will be very interesting to see if your Mondeo matches the durability of the

VW >>

Durability? Its only done 62K !!

Not sure if the OP is talking Mondeo III or IV though mine is on 125k, original clutch, had new front and rear discs and pads at about 60k and fronts again at 105k, drives pretty much as new, similar average economy to the OP, engine lovely and sweet for a diesel, very petrol like at idle and as it revs, more refined than any PD ever was from experience with friends 1.9s and 2.0s.

Good report by the way, great feedback for prospective buyers.
2003 Passat PD130 owner's report - craig-pd130
@ 659BFE -- mine's got the AVF motor, I think these were standard on the Sport spec Passat PDs. I don't know how the brake pads have lasted so long, I think I'm quite gentle on the brakes but some of my passengers may quibble with that :)

@ Cheddar, the replacement will be a Mondeo IV estate. I just didn't like the new Passat, and the Mondeo impressed me on the test drive.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 24/01/2008 at 10:19