1989, 2.5 Turbo Diesel, Starting problems - Critical Sock
Hiya,

My old Land Rover's not starting! I have plenty of battery and fuel, but when I turn the key I get a single click and then nothing. It doesn't even try and turn over. A couple of days ago when I was starting it up in the morning it gave a high pitched whirr without turning over, but when I tried again it started normally.

I gave the starter motor a good tap with a hammer as I've been told that that can dislodge muck interfering with the contacts but with no effect... and that's about as far as my technical "expertise" goes!

Is this something minor that I can replace with a bit off the tinternet or is it time to get worried?? Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt
1989, 2.5 Turbo Diesel, Starting problems - Screwloose
Matt

Sounds awfully like the starter's gone; but first check the feed voltage to it and the earth from it.
1989, 2.5 Turbo Diesel, Starting problems - Critical Sock
Many thanks for the reply. I'll check out the voltage. How to do that'll be in the Haynes manual right? :)
1989, 2.5 Turbo Diesel, Starting problems - madf
Check the earthing. Probably corroded.
1989, 2.5 Turbo Diesel, Starting problems - gozling2
Sounds to me as if you may have stripped the bendix on the starter motor (the part the fly?s out and meshes with the flywheel ring gear (toothed ring round the flywheel), only way to check this is to remove the starter motor (remember to disconnect battery first), when the starter is removed check the pointed end of the starter (the bit that fits into the bell housing) the teeth may look ground down, if not check the fly wheel in the aperture you may see ground/missing teeth use a lever to turn the fly wheel (out of gear) and inspect all the teeth for wear.

It may well be that the starter has failed internally so will need to be replaced not too bad a job, but either way the starter needs to be removed (assuming all wiring is intact and ok)

Gozling2

Edited by gozling2 on 02/06/2008 at 20:57

1989, 2.5 Turbo Diesel, Starting problems - defender
could be a starter solenoid failure
the way to test is to short across the two heavy terminals on the solenoid and you will hear the starter whirr if its working (be prepared for the sparks and dont use a good screwdriver)or put a jump lead on the terminal between the solenoid and starter and dab it on the positive battery terminal to hear the starter turn .if the starter turns doing this but just clicks with the key then its probably tyhe solenoid
the starter will not engage with the flywheel doing this as it needs the solenoid to make the starter circuit AND engage the starter with the flywheel
a starter will cost approx £80 +vat and a solenoid under £20 from paddocks spares