1994? 1.1k series - rough running after HG change. - pendulum
Hi,

My friend has a Metro, 1.1 K series engine. Not certain of year: guess 1994.

The car was running fine until the headgasket blew. It wasn't worth spending money getting a pro to do the job, so a couple of amateurs had a go at changing it for the cost of just the headgasket kit.

The car drives, and passed an MoT. However, it drives really badly and has done ever since the headgasket change. You can put the accelerator pedal to the floor and the car will actually slow down, it even thinks of stalling. If you accelerate gently, it is ok, but power still seems down.

The car does not use oil or water any more.
The car was fitted with a new cambelt by a mobile mechanic so it "should" not be a timing issue.

I think the problem is due to something that was disturbed when the head came off that wasn't put back properly - any ideas what? I am not ruling out stale fuel because it's had the same unleaded in it for over 9 months ever since he bought the car.

He should take it to a garage, but he's too lazy to. He spent a good few bob getting it fixed and through its MoT yet does not drive it because of its rough running.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/01/2008 at 18:40

1994? 1.1k series - rough running after HG change. - madf
Could be any of:
inlet or exhaust manifold gasket wrongly fitted: obstructing air/gas.

EFI wiring not reconnected properly.

Cam timing out - despite "professional help", one tooth out would give similar symptons.
Themostat not refitted.
Blocked exhaust or catalyst failed...
Fuel pump pressure too low.
Blocked fuel filter
Blocked air filter...

Some are easily checked... do them first.

1994? 1.1k series - rough running after HG change. - pendulum
Interesting you say inlet/exhaust gaskets wrongly fitted. The kit did not include these so one bloke got some gasket paper and cut his own - or, actually, I remember talk of using a cornflakes box as no gasket paper could be located on a Sunday. Hmm...

I think that we also need to get the timing checked then, that sounds like the second most likely cause.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will pass them on and welcome any more from anyone.
1994? 1.1k series - rough running after HG change. - MerlinTec
Hi
The camshaft pulley has 2 key ways/peg cut outs on the pulley I would suspect they put the peg in the wrong cut out. The timing may well look correct on the belt but the camshaft is in the incorrect place.