Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - leef
Hi all,

Was reading Auto Express today and came across a very intersting article in regards to Budget tyres. To cut a long story short, the EU want to ban them and make us use the "preferred manufactors premuim brands". They want to try and bring it into force by 2012 with you failing your MOT if you've not got a set of "Michelin's/Goodyears" etc on your car. Something to do with CO2 emissions and reducing them. The full article is on page 16 of this weeks magazine, not sure if it's online. Sorry if this has already been discussed....

Lee

Edited by leef on 17/01/2008 at 16:29

Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Robin Reliant
I wouldn't tend to believe anything I read in Auto Express, I haven't looked at a copy for years but do remember thinking they were The Sun of motoring magazines. Provided a tyre meets whatever standards are in place I don't see how they could possibly be banned, whatever was written on the sidewall or what they cost.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Red Baron
What a load of codswallop!

A Michelin Energy whatever at 10psi is a whole lot worse than Bloggs GT Fazer at the correct pressure!

Many cars last a lot longer than the suggested tyres in the handbook are available. My last Alfa did.

Legislation would be unworkable. EU muppets with nothing better to do than flog the motorist.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - cheddar
I think it is clear that some cheapo tyres are second rate and I would like the car behind me to have first rate tyres if I have to brake hard in the wet.

So establishing high standards that the manufacturers have to adhere to makes sense, after that it doesent really matter where they are made or who by I guess.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - FotheringtonThomas
establishing high standards that the manufacturers have to adhere to

They have been, and they do have to!
They have been and they do have to!

>>

Standards arent high enough then because some tyres perform poorly in tests.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Number_Cruncher
>>Standards arent high enough then because some tyres perform poorly in tests.

Just because some tyres perform better or worse than others doesn't mean that current standards are inadequate. I suspect that the tyre standards are quite sensibly drafted, and that modern, premium tyres can exceed them easily. Again, this doesn't mean the standards are inadequate - as long as they keep truly shoddy and dangerous tyres out of the marketplace, the standards are working.

Number_Cruncher

Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Group B
Something to do with CO2 emissions and reducing them.

AFAIR it was saying it would apply in cases where an energy saving tyre is fitted as an intrinsic part of the manufacturers CO2 reduction measures? Such as on Polo Bluemotion.

So if it was introduced, it may not apply to all cars immediately, but probably to an increasing number of models in the future.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - pleiades
The article appears to refer to new cars fitted with low energy tyres as standard and not budget tyres in general - see link tinyurl.com/322ywb

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/01/2008 at 19:10

Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - NARU
Rich 9-3 is right the basis of the report being that if a manufacturer fits a special tyre to get a lower CO2 classification, the EU is considering whethr to insist in the same tyres being used throughout its life.

What starts as a sensible idea could rapidly become unworkable in practice - what if a tyre is no longer made? Or in short supply? Or suddenly becomes premium priced because they have a captive market?
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Ruperts Trooper
The article talked about requiring the same "type-approved" tyres to be used for subsequent replacements. I'm sure that tyre manufacturers have a method of measurement but there is no public classification for "eco" tyres.

On an "EC Certificate of Conformity" for a specific vehicle, the only information specified for tyre and wheel homologation is eg "195/60R 15 88H 6Jx15/ET49".

The tyres may be moulded "eco" but in the absence of classification/legislation that's just marketing hype with no substance.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - martint123
Reminds me of the hoohar about spare parts and the EU (Germany?) wanting only manufacturers parts used as replacements Kite flying.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - MichaelR
An excellent idea. It's about time people who think it's acceptable to compromise on safety to save a few quid were legislated against.

Tyres are the only link between your car and the road. Even the difference in weight braking performance between premium brand tyres can be several car lengths - let alone cheapo budget sava tyres. This can be the difference between an accident and a near miss in an emergency situation.

Cheap tyres. False economy.
An excellent idea. It's about time people who think it's acceptable to compromise on safety
to save a few quid were legislated against.

So what you are saying Michael, is that there should be a minimum standard to which all tyres must comply?

Err, I think we have that already, irrespective of the brand or price.
Perhaps the minimum std is not high enough.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - MichaelR
>> An excellent idea. It's about time people who think it's acceptable to compromise on
safety
>> to save a few quid were legislated against.
>>
So what you are saying Michael is that there should be a minimum standard to
which all tyres must comply?
Err I think we have that already irrespective of the brand or price.

The current standards are so poor they are not even worth mentioning. Tyres are not performance tested in the correct way, otherwise we wouldnt have people driving around in the wet on ridiculous LingLongSuperBonus tyres becuase the tyre shop guy told them that 'They are made by a bloke whose dog once walked past a Pirelli factory'.

Tyre shops all over the place do this - sell customers cheapo crap thats made by the major manufacturers becuase 'Its made by Goodyear you know' as if that means its up to the standards of the proper Goodyear tyres. It's as stupid as a Merc dealer saying 'Well no sir, I dont have an SL55 AMG in stock at the moment but I do have a Smart Car, made by the same company really...
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Number_Cruncher
I don't think there's a problem at all.

The important thing for safety is not ultimate levels of performance, or ultimate levels of grip - it is predictability of performance. Once drivers understand how their vehicle responds, its up to them to drive within the limits.

Real tyre safety problems arise when something unexpected, like a sudne blowout or tread delamination occurs - thats where tyre quality really matters, in the fundamental integrity of construction, rather than in ultimate performance criteria.

A few people have used emotive imagery of people behind them running on cheaper tyres - I don't buy into this at all. I'm more concerned in how well the driver behind is keeping a safe distance - and that safe distance is a function of vehicle, vehicle condition, tyres, tyre condition and inflation pressure, and most importnatly, if not vitally, driver skill, attitude and alertness.

Number_Cruncher
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - smokescreen
Rarely (if at all) do you see reports stating "if the tyres are of better quality, this accident wouldnt have happened". Ever.

On my first car, I was blissfully unaware I had remoulds (!) on the front till someone pointed it out. I could easily drive around without losing grip on the wet, but still replaced them netherless.
Oh and as for using branded tyres, I recently replaced the Michellin Energy 3A's with Kumho Matrac XM's because of how noticeably bad they were in wet situations. Couldnt believe how easy it was to lose grip in a wet situation despite having a good 3.5mm left easily. So much for brand meaning quality.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - grumpyscot
Tyres are the only link between your car and the road. Even the difference in
weight braking performance between premium brand tyres can be several car lengths - let alone
cheapo budget sava tyres. This can be the difference between an accident and a near
miss in an emergency situation.
Cheap tyres. False economy.

Using this logic, surely the same must be said for brake parts then (since that's another link between you and the road - or the vehicle in front!). You can get brake pads that meet a minimum standard, and you get brake pads that exceed it - and cost more. Some work better than others. Some cars still have drum rear brakes, yet it's proven that discs work better. So why are they allowed?

Some cars have halogen lights (the only mans of seeing in the dark), yet its proven that HID lights are better and safer. So why are halogen lights allowed?

So long as minimum standards are met, that should be enough. And if Joe Bloggs & Co can produce a tyre that meets or exceeds minimum standards, why should a driver be forced to buy a particular make? Do Pirelli & Michelin want to run the country as Tesco want to do?

The consumer needs choice, and most of us know from experience the Michelin tyres are not always the best. I'd certainly have nothing but Bridgestones on my CRV.

Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - SuperBuyer
I'm not sure the argument that cheap tyres increase braking distance is a reason to ban them. That would be similar to saying that everyone has to have a 'reaction test' every so often and if they fail that they can't drive either?

I'm still deciding whether to go for budget tyres (Kumho or similar) or to spend the extra on some ContiPremiums on the Golf. I've used both in the past and have not noticed any difference.

And when the Shogun needs 'reshoeing', I'm not sure whether I'll push to the £110 BFG A/T or whether I'll go for the £70 erm 'LingLongSuperBonus' (Thanks MichaelR!) tyres.

Perhaps instead of legislating everything out of existence at the first opportunity, we should try driver education. Perhaps every tyre should be government tested and the results displayed at the tyre retailers outlets? I'm thinking along the lines of a pictorial representation of various braking distances with different tyres etc...
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - SteVee
I guess that the tyre standards are subject to revision very so often.

I've got budget tyres on my primera - 4 Pneumants. braking performance, wet or dry is excellent; perhaps better than my Mazda 6, which was a new car on premium bridgestones.
I did check the report on mytyres before choosing. Fewer problems pulling away too.

I've also bought premium tyres which were useless - typically, I've bought such tyres in sales and been very disappointed. I don't know if they were badly stored, badly fitted or second-rate. I'm sure that one pair weren't even round.
I avoid tyre sales now.

My insurance company doesn't care that I've fitted budget tyres - why should you ?

Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Cliff Pope
The OP suggested that the supposed reason was to do with reducing CO2 emisions. This presumably means the normal rolling friction between the tyre and the road.
That is surely not necesarily the same as safety - a totally bald tyre might have a low resistance, or a big tractor-type tyre with studs have the best grip.
Tyres have to be compromise between these extremes, and that is surely what the current rules aim to achieve?
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Dipstick
Were there any hard numbers as to how much co2 is actually "saved", backed up of course with the co2 "costs" of producing the various types of tyres?

After all, if the idea is to actually reduce the co2 going into the atmosphere from whatever source, anywhere on the planet that has anything to do with making, transporting and selling the tyres those numbers are critical, otherwise who knows whether it's effective?

Forgive me if I predict the answer to be be "no", but maybe I'm over-cynical (or pragmatic).

Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - T Lucas
I need some new tyres,where can i buy LingLongSuperBonus tyres (or is that Tires),i guess they are made in a factory that once had a visit by a man that may have worked for Goodyear once,maybe.
If its any use to you, recently got some Kumho Matrac XM (I think thats the name) on my car, these won best budget buy from Autocar's review in 2007's edition.

They're 195/55/15 V. So far so good in comparison to Pirelli/Dunlop i'm used to, and far better in wet situations than Michellins in the wet.

Noise levels are good, performance in the dry is excellent, and more importantly grip and braking in the wet is superb in comparison to the Michellin's they replaced (energy 3a) - and according to the 07 review definately one of the better tyres in the wet.

The review did mention they're one of the poorer tyres for aquaplanning, but so far in soakingly-wet-Newcastle, I've not aquaplanned once yet.

I've only done 2k miles on them so far, so cant really comment on wear, but at £50 fitted each corner for me, they're not bad at all.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - moonshine {P}

Complete and utter rubbish.

By the same arguement we should also ban 4x4s, they have poor braking performance and very poor handling. (I wouldn't have a problem with that!)

How about banning driving in the rain? That increases stopping distances too.

What about reaction times? What about reading the road ahead? What about speeding? These are all factors as well.

Should we also ban all classic cars? Maybe any car over 5years old should also be banned.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Garethj
I think it is clear that some cheapo tyres are second rate and I would like the car behind me to have first rate tyres if I have to brake hard in the wet.

The silliest post on the entire thread?

I'd rather the tyres had legal tread, the driver was anticipating the hazard and he knew how hard to brake, all makes far more difference than the tyres grip.

At least I thought this was the silliest post on the entire thread, until I read the one below:
An excellent idea. It's about time people who think it's acceptable to compromise on safety to save a few quid were legislated against.

Tyres are the only link between your car and the road. Even the difference in weight braking performance between premium brand tyres can be several car lengths - let alone cheapo budget sava tyres. This can be the difference between an accident and a near miss in an emergency situation.
>>

The trick is, not to get into an emergency situation - drive within the limits of the car and conditions. If you're driving so close that you're relying on the difference between good tyres and bad tyres, you're too close or too fast.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Roly93
This is illogical. You cant just legislate by saying that only household tyre brand-names are legal. Tyres must/are made to a minimum safety standard for sale in the EU. I accept that cheapo tyres are usually worse than the main brands, but they aren't dangerous as long as the correct standards have been adhered to. I think its just a case of inflamatory motoring journalism again.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - ijws15
Basic principles:

In the EU a Car "as a whole" must meet EU standards at point of sale - the standards for a car that is. As I understand the law individual parts do not have to meet EU standards - because they probably won't, for example i imagine the car structure will screen some EMC emissions from some components.

Parts including tyres must meet EU regs at point of sale of the part - only if sold in the EU.

i.e. the tyre on a new car just has to be good enough for the whole car to meet regs (for a car imported into the EU, a car built in the EU must have parts which are CE marked at the point they are purchased. Sold as a replacement in the EU the tyre has to meet the regulations. Note a tyre sold in Switzerland or Andorra has to meet their local regs and not CE as they are NOT in the EU.

We have to test systems as a whole but not individual components as they are not sold on their own, In fact we cannot test components separately because they must comply as part of a system. A part passing on its own does not mean it will pass in a system due to interactions.

The way you tell that they meet the regulations is the CE marking on the product. If it is not there the product cannot be marketed in the EU (illegal). They cannot legislate by brand, just change the specification you have to meet for CE marking.

If they get it wrong you hand a competitive advantage to those building outside the EU, and the French will buy their tyres in Andorra at the same time as they stock up on booze and cigarettes!!
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Hamsafar
Isn't this the new tyre energy-efficiency banding that will be required to be fitted if specified by the vehicle manufacturer?

From what I have read, the premium tyre makers are dead against it and say that an energy efficient tyre is not always a safe tyre, and that energy efficiency is a trade off against grip and there will be an increase in crashes...
www.tyres-online.co.uk/news.asp#4
BTW, whatever happened to remoulds?

I haven't seen any for years, do they still sell them or have they been discontinued?
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - T Lucas
Still available,and in my experience just about the grippiest tyres ever,when new.Oh,and cheap with lots of tread.I used to have loads fitted when i was retailing used cars.Secondhand cars,secondhand tyres,whats the problem?
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - Cliff Pope
Are remoulds better environmentally?
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - yorkiebar
Such pompous idealistic nonsense that this thread has dug up, about how cheap tyres should be banned etc.

If you see different cars on a daily basis you will see that those cars with the "better" tyres on are often virtually worn out on majority of cars. probably because they are expensive and the driver wants every last bit of mileage (and more) out of them.

Most cars with budget tyres on have more tread (not all i admit). Far far far safer to have tyres with tread of any brand than a famous name with none when its raining! Personally I would rather have a car with tyres with tread on them of any make, because it generally means the driver is aware of his/her tyre condition.

And the above comment about eco tyres are a compromise of grip for longevity, of which I agree totally. Well isnt that a good idea too! Lets make evrybody put on "named" tyres at expensive price because they are so much UN-safer.

Bring back drivers with the ability to know about their car and the conditions!
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - normd2
I'm not sure I accept that cheaper tyres are necessarily worse than main brands. Often the cheaper ones are 'last years' model, built to the same original spec as your Pirgooddunfires but with a now unfashionable tread pattern.
Cheap Tyres (Budget) banned?? - craneboy
I cant believe there is any grain of truth in this report. It would effectively be saying its ok to drive round on a set of 10 year old cracked and perished Michelins, but not brand spanking new budget brands..ridiculous!!

If it is true, I cynically suspect another EU ploy to force older cars off the road (few people want to spend more on tyres than the car is worth)