1995 1.5 Diesel engine problems - tud5 - Ixashe
My 106 diesel has just developed a fault I'm having problems working out. Its a 1995 xnd 1.5 diesel (tud5) with 135k.

It was driving normally then cut out. It would restart and idle, but as soon as you tried to press the accelerater it would cut out. The RAC managed to get it to rev as long as you were extremely gentle on the throttle, but gave up on being able to diagnose the fault and towed me home. While idling on my drive the engine cut out again and now won't restart. There was no abnormal noises/smoke/ect noticeable other than what I've already mentioned.

I replaced the stop solonoid about 50 miles ago, but I'm not sure if a fault with that could cause these symptoms. More likely, I had not long filled up with a full tank of diesel (I definitely put the right fuel in!) before the problem started.

Would contanimated fuel cause these problems? How would I check it? If so, can I get away with just draining the tank or would I have to empty all the lines too? If the fuel needs changed I'll do it, but I'd rather not throw away a whole tank of fuel just to test if thats the problem!!!!

Any ideas on what to try, or what the problem might be?

Thanks, Paul.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/01/2008 at 10:10

19951.5 Diesel engine problems - tud5 - madf
When was the fuel filter last changed?
1995 1.5 Diesel engine problems - tud5 - Screwloose

Why did you change the stop solenoid?

Take the feed pipe off the pump and prime it into a glass jar to see if there's water etc. in it.
1995 1.5 Diesel engine problems - tud5 - 659FBE
How carefully did you clean the injection pump body and stop solenoid before you unscrewed it?

I'm afraid these are classic symptoms of dirt ingress.