Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - tack
Was at the scene of a vomit inducing accident yesterday involving a pensioner in a car versus a youth on a scooter.

All happened in Shenfield, Essex. I was walking along minding my own business when from behind me I heard the sort of sick making crunch you immediately associate with an horrendous RTA. It could only have been a matter of a second after the crash, that a Vauxhall Astra entered my peripheral vision on the left, pushing a motor scooter along under the valance........no rider! I looked behind me and saw the rider about 30 yards up the road, writhing in agony, his left leg at an angle you wouldn't even want to see on a pro' contortionist! He was screaming and it was all quite shocking.

What didn't help was a group of young chavvies standing around saying "look at his effing leg bro' that's smashed that is"

Tried to comfort the guy best I could and para-medic seemed to take an age. PCSO's turned up in a Smart Car and proceeded to do......erm......nothing, not even traffic control (it was rush hour on a busy road One of them went to remove the scooter, I had to tell him to leave it where it was because the real traffic police would probably want to photograph it in situ.

The poor old pensioner looked terribly shocked. I have no idea how it happened, but it was a dreadful scene.
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - yorkiebar
been the first on scene myself and it is horrible.

What is really worrying (to me anyway) is that when the PCSO's turn up to take control and they have no training/ability/remit/knwoledge to be able to do so.

And as an aside. Why is it not a compulsory subject at school (or even at driving test) to do first aid?
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - deepwith
Good level of First Aid is taught as part of Duke of Edinburgh and Army Cadets learn advanced First Aid. This made both of my older children very much in demand as babysitters once they were over 16.

Unfortunately when my daughter was 16, she and a friend were shopping when a chap collapsed - both had completed first aid courses and started resusitation, working together. At this point they were physically removed from the poor chap and someone who did NOT know what they were doing took over. Sadly the outcome was not good and both girls felt very upset as they will never know if they could have made a difference. Adults do not always know better than kids.

If you do level 1 and 2 RIB (power boat) driving courses you don't do first aid but if you do levels 3 and 4 then First Aid is also tested. Perhaps it should be part of the theory test that you at least know the basics.
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - paulb {P}
Perhaps it should be part of the theory test that you at least know
the basics.

When I did my bike test in '06 I remember having to learn some rudiments of first aid for the theory test, so maybe it is being brought in by degrees.
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - Waino
What is really worrying (to me anyway) is that when the PCSO's turn up to take control and they have no training/ability/remit/knwoledge to be able to do so.>>

IMHO, the whole point of PCSOs is to make it look as though we have more police on the streets than we really do have. I suspect we would be as well off with some cardboard cutouts which could be moved around every so often. The poor chaps round here all look too old and frail to actually do anything.
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - cheddar
>>The poor old pensioner looked terribly shocked.>>

Not sure of the circumstances, could be totally wrong, though how come the Astra was still moving with the scooter under its valance?

Sounds like the "poor old pensioner" might be myopic, might have pulled out on an innocent scooter rider and then panicked thus not hitting the brakes.

A complusory eye test every five years and complusory re-test and aptitude test at 70 years of age could help avoid this kind of thing.

As I say I might have it wrong.
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - PoloGirl
We do the first aid badge with the Guides every so often, and they almost all say they've done it at school too, so I think it is taught, possibly as part of project trident (not sure if they do that everywhere - it's the thing that includes work experience and young enterprise).

Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - billy25
This sounds abit callous maybe, but i would leave an accident or resuccitation victim alone! i dont usually carry latex gloves or cardboard mouthpiece with me, (to protect against blood or saliva carried dieseses) and i am not going to put my own life in danger or put myself in the position whereby i could end up causing my family years of grief, through rushing in unprepared. I would however offer comfort and support to anybody, but it is a sad fact of todays society that self - preservation comes first.

Billy
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - David Horn
What Billy said. ^^

Fortunately, a first aid kit can be found nearly anywhere in a public place nowadays and you do get the protective mouthpiece in them. I think you get safety glasses as well now in case they cough blood into your eyes.

I don't think it will be too long either before defibrillator training is covered in first aid lessons, since the prevalence of them is rapidly increasing. I think you just stick them on and trust the computer.
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - grumpyscot
>>>>This sounds abit callous maybe, but i would leave an accident or resuccitation victim alone! i dont usually carry latex gloves or cardboard mouthpiece with me, (to protect against blood or saliva carried dieseses) and i am not going to put my own life in danger or put myself in the position whereby i could end up causing my family years of grief, through rushing in unprepared. I would however offer comfort and support to anybody, but it is a sad fact of todays society that self - preservation comes first>>>>>>>>

So I take it you don't bother carrying even a basic first aid kit in your car. I just hope you never need traetment and someone with your attitude attends to you - maybe they'll attend your funeral.

Edited by grumpyscot on 14/01/2008 at 07:06

Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - billy25
>>So I take it you don't bother carrying even a basic first aid kit in your car.<<

Fortunately, by choice, i dont drive anymore! - but yes when i had the car, it carried quite a good basic kit, fortunately, once again, i never had the need to use it!

>>someone with your attitude attends to you <<
Sadly, if i was in such a position, obviously i "would like" somebody to attend to me, but as i've made my personal situation clear, i would fully understand if somebody declined on the same grounds, - it's a choice i've made, and i would respect the choice of others. As i pointed out, i would offer "comfort and support" to anybody, but not at the risk of endangering either myself or others, that would be stupid.

There have been cases reported in the media, where people have been charged with serious assault for (deliberatly) threatening people with body-fluids (saliva/blood), and if Police view said fluids so seriously, then to deliberately contaminate both yourself and others, albeit in good faith, is reckless.

Billy
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - Jonathan {p}
I suspect we would be as well off with some cardboard cutouts which could be moved around every so often. The poor chaps round here all look too old and frail to actually do anything.>>

like this you mean

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1024510_pc_...b
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - Blue {P}
Old news that really, we've had cardboard cut outs in the local supermarket for ages, Northumbria used a cut out Rover 800 (IIRC) traffic car back in the 80's strapped to flyovers to slow traffic down.

Apparently it's surprisingly effective!

Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - Round The Bend
Was it an Astra automatic?>>

I bet it was.
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - 2cents
Will no one ask about the scooter riders part in this ?
How old ?
License holder ?
Insured ?
Scooter road worthy ?

Looking at the stupidity exhibited by some scooter riders in my neck of the woods, riders who appear to be under 20, who ride 2 or 3 abreast, who mount the pavement to avoid red traffic lights, who get in the wrong lane at r/bouts , I wonder why here, on a motoring discussion forum, so many seem quick to want to convict the car driver ?

Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - mss1tw
Will no one ask about the scooter riders part in this ?

I wonder why here on a motoring discussion forum so many seem quick to want
to convict the car driver ?

"It could only have been a matter of a second after the crash, that a Vauxhall Astra entered my peripheral vision on the left, pushing a motor scooter along under the valance........"
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - 2cents
'Sounds like the "poor old pensioner" might be myopic, might have pulled out on an innocent scooter rider and then panicked thus not hitting the brakes.'.....

What about ' innocent motorist " who was passing a junction when a scooter failed to heed a stop line and rode straight in front of the car in question ?
The accident happened at a busy junction near a petrol station and railway station, it had been raining and it was peak hours.

There is a forked T junction where, it would appear, the Astra pulled out from the side road to turn right into the main road. The scooter, again it would appear, was coming from the Astra drivers right, i.e. on the main road.

I am led to believe that the point of impact took place dead centre of the main road. Debris from the car and scooter would seem to confirm this. The scooter ended up about 30yds from apparent point of impact.

It is a horrid junction with lots going on at any one time, i.e. people taking left fork to turn right or left into main road, people taking right fork to turn left or right into main road, people in main road coming from either direction turning left or right into side road via either left or right fork, people driving in or out of garage forecourt, 20 or 30 taxis queued in road to collect passengers from station. You need to really keep your wits about you, and if you weren't blessed with any.....you could easily get into trouble.

No idea if Astra was auto, no idea if pensioner was myopic or witless. I would venture to say that it was an accident waiting to happen. (being new to the area, it may well have happened before unbeknown to me.

If anyone knows Shenfield and the junction from The Mount near the Esso garage, they will know what I mean.

I hope the scooter rider is OK, and I hope the old chap gets over his shock.
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - Pugugly {P}
Have you got a point of reference for one of the Sat imagery sites ?
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - moonshine {P}
Hope these links work ok:

tinyurl.com/2ophp6

That one should !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/01/2008 at 10:00

Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - movilogo
No idea if Astra was auto

How does it make a difference?
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - cheddar
Hitting the accelerator rather than the brake!
Heard the crash - saw the aftermath! - jc2
It's a mini r/about,isn't it???
it's a mini r/bout...............

Probably would be better (i.e. safer) if it was. It is a forked T junction with the added spice of the garage forecourt, station car park, taxi's in rush hour, pedestrians to and from mainline station. Bad enough in daylight, but these dark rainy nights are a nightmare....you need eyes and radar everywhere.