2001 1.8i XL - Is this a 'K' Series engine - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Hi. I'm going to look at a...

2001 ROVER 45 1.8i XL Auto

Features: 50,000 miles Automatic Red Petrol Hatchback 1796 cc Full Description:

Step, 2001, X reg. 50000 Miles, Full service history, taxed & Motd, red, alloy wheels, CD/radio, air-con, electric sunroof, 4x electric windows, remote central locking, very good conditiion. £1,750. ono.

2nd. I read in Honest John car by car page about the Rover 45 'K' Series engine's (copied)...What to Watch Out For

'K' Series engine inlet manifold 'O' rings tend to perish between 25 - 30,000 miles. Head gasket failure common on K series four cylinder engines because very low coolant capacity of engine means small leaks rapidly lead to overheating. Weakest point is water heated inlet manifold gasket. 1.8 K Series head gasket failures.

How do I know if this car I'm going to look at is a 'K' Series engine?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/01/2008 at 12:36

2001 1.8i XL - Is this a 'K' Series engine - Chris S
Yes - and the headgasket does go. I drove (Austin) Rovers for 20 years before switching to Nissan.
2001 1.8i XL - Is this a 'K' Series engine - Collos25
I have just done the full head gasget cam belt repair on a 1.8k series at 43k you would be looking at around £500 for the full job.In my case it was the water pump that caused the problem and this can takes months before it actually goes also be aware that the water pump runs of the cam belt and if it ceases up total motor ruin can be the outcome having said all that there are thousands upon thousands of k series engines running quite normally without a grain of trouble.One more problem is the cylinder liners can drop allowing the top piston ring to come adrift there is a mod for this as there is the head gasget.
2001 1.8i XL - Is this a 'K' Series engine - Screwloose

Yes; it's a Rover K-Series - otherwise known as grief on wheels.

No serious garage wants to know them anymore; just let them all lie there and die quietly.
2001 1.8i XL - Is this a 'K' Series engine - normd2
I might be tempting fate but my 1.4 K series reached 93000 miles last night. Only needed an alternator and an exhaust back section in 2007.
2001 1.8i XL - Is this a 'K' Series engine - hm
Mate,

yes this car will have a K series engine.........they have a good reputation for HG failures.....down to two things really.....a not very clever cooling system that can allow cold coolant to sudden flow across the hot engine, and the lack of real meat on cylinder block resulting in it warping (think I spelt that correct)

in answer to your actual question I do not know to be honest...I would gues there is K16 in the VIN / chassis plate somewhere..but the car does has K series engine.....why do you think they are so cheap !

Laters

H

Thanks for all the replies.

.....why do you think they are so cheap !

Good point. I've also seen 2000/20001 Nissan Primera's (that I'm tempted to buy) going for £1,500-£1,800 with 60-90k on them. Does this mean the old saying.. you get what you pay for?
2001 1.8i XL - Is this a 'K' Series engine - paulyoung666
i had a rover 200 with the 1.6 k series , quick car , but the headgasket went at 50,000 miles , all the oil ended up in the water , totally blocked the radiator , complete mess , got it fixed and px'ed asap ;)
2001 1.8i XL - Is this a 'K' Series engine - BMDUBYA
You said
"Step, 2001, X reg. 50000 Miles,"

Is the Step you refer to the 'Steptronic' auto box? If so, I think you should do an internet search for info on htese, I read somewhere, possibly the rover forum on
forums.mg-rover.org/ -

that these have longevity issues, I cannot confirm for sure if they do, but I would give this some serious thought, esepcially if its an early model as well. Can anyone else add more to this auto box? I guess on a more positive note, if it lasts it may well turn out to be a collectors item as I don't think many where made.
Is the Step you refer to the 'Steptronic' auto box?

Correct. Auto with a manual choice (or something like that).