03 2.5 Auto stalling problem - DavidHK
I have a stalling problem with my X-Trail which I hope someone may be able to help. The local dealer cannot work out what is wrong.
It is a 2.5 SVE 2003 auto X-Trail.
It has had a LPG gas conversion, but the problem happens whether running under petrol or gas.
The car start OK in the morning OK but after 2-3 mins it cuts outs if you take your foot off the throttle. You loose the brakes and the steering is hard, so a bit risky. It can be a bit hard to restart. It only stalls in drive just after the temperature gauge is showing normal temperature and you take your foot of the throtle. It does not before this.
This may happen 2-3 times over the next 5mins if you take your foot of the throttle but after that it is fine.
The dealer has checked diagnostics and clean throttle butterfly and housing.
They have also replaced Airflow Meter but no help
They have increased the idle up to 250 and although this has helped a very small amount, it still stalls when warming up.

Any ideas?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 09/01/2008 at 18:25

03 2.5 Auto stalling problem - Aprilia
Idle speed control valve would be my first port of call. Also check coolant temp sensor and throttle posn sensor. I would have thought that the dealer could check all of these out very easily.
03 2.5 Auto stalling problem - bathtub tom
>>They have increased the idle up to 250

Really? I've only known a cement mixer to rev that low!
I will confirm they have checked these sensors tomorrow. However I assume the temperature sensor could still be faulty unless they checked it when it stalls. It appears to be temperature sensitive. From cold it is OK, when fully warmed up it is OK, but in between it is a problem.

Thanks for your help.
If its repeatable every time then it should be easy to check. Just hook up some kit to view the live data and monitor CTS, TPS etc.
I don't know how much they are charging you for diagnostics but for £100 you could buy a lead, interface and software to monitor the critical sensors and be half-way there yourself (e.g. Gendan's EngineCheck).
Thanks for your suggestion to view the live data which makes sense to me. However the service dept in the Nissan Dealership are not being very helpful and would prefer that I go away.

They are telling me that because no fault comes up on the diagnostics they have no idea of the problem. I have suggested monitoring it as the car stalls which I can make happen every morning. They are telling me that because the engine warning light does not stay when the car is restarted there will be nothing to see. Is this true?

All the service manager could suggest is that I get rid of it, but how can I do this with the fault there, it would be dishonest.

The dealership is blaming the fact the car is converted to LPG even though they do not know what has caused the problem and whether it is related to the LPG conversion or not. They do not want to know!!

Any ideas apart from complain to the dealer principle.
I think a lot of dealers get a bit lazy in a climate of servicing and straightforward parts replacement (brakes, clutches) on 0 - 3 year old vehicles. When something older with a difficult fault that requires some diagnostics comes along then they don't want to know. If there is no fault code to be found then there is no fault, in their view.

There are lots of problems that won't put the MIL on.

Maybe try an independent repairer who has got the necessary diagnostic tools, or perhaps an alternative Nissan dealer. Doesn't need to be anything very advanced, just enough to read the live data.
03 2.5 Auto stalling problem - Mchenry
Surely Nissan GB would be interested in the case of a delaer telling a customer to sell the car because they can't fix it.
03 2.5 Auto stalling problem - Ethan Edwards
I have an 02 2.5SVE Auto - converted to LPG.

It too went through a phase of stalling in cold weather just after it switched from Petrol to LPG. It's because the LPG vapouriser doesn't function as efficiently until it's really warmed up. It's fed with engine coolant and until that warms up (irrespective of what the guage is telling you) then it can stall. Manually keep it on Petrol for another mile or two.
Doesn't happen in the summer mind.

Smashing getting all that luxury and performance while still running a 'gas guzzler' for absolute peanuts isn't it. I get the 25mpg on LPG out of mine thats the equivalent of about over 45mpg in petrol terms.

If your stalling in the summer take it to your LPG converter as your system may need adjusting. Idle speed is 1250 isn't it?
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/04/2009 at 19:37

03 2.5 Auto stalling problem - walclare
Did you sort this issue? I would love to know as I have something very similar. stalls when cold, before and after it changes to gas. Also hard to start if it doesnt start first time. when warm all fine, although a little low idle speed i think.
03 2.5 Auto stalling problem - Ethan Edwards

Hi,

Really isn't an issue for me.

Only occurs when it's REALLY cold and even then if I manually run it on petrol for a couple of miles until it's really warm then manually switch over to LPG then it doesn't happen. See the guage only tells you how warm the engine is at the location of the sender. As I said this only happens when the outside temp is below or at zero degree's celsius.

Just a thought has the Orig Poster tried Irridium spark plugs? I find they work much better with LPG. Last donkeys too. Try Denso VKH16 or IKH16 easily available on Ebay.

Hope that helps,

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 11/06/2010 at 10:02