2002 1.6 zetec engine warning light - Mumstheword
Hiya!

The engine warning light (??? pic of a little engine, orangey light) keeps staying on in my Focus. It was reset once by a garage who read it and said they couldnt detect a fault.

They said it's possible that a slight problem on the cat could trigger it, but that it looked fine and in their opinion didnt need replacing.

So, it came back on again not long after. They've said that it will stay on for 50 ignition starts or we can keep going back in and paying for it to be reset.

Has anyone had any experience with a problem like this? Any suggestions?:)

Thanks in advance.

We got the car following advice on here, and we are chuffed with it so far (just a little niggle this that's starting to irritate my husb:D)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/01/2008 at 12:39

2002 1.6 zetec engine warning light - Screwloose
M-t-W

The crux here is that they didn't, apparently, have the equipment to read it - only erase all codes. [Or did they get a code they couldn't understand?]

Get someone to read that code and come back with it - there are several thousand different ones and, without it, it's all guesswork.
Thanks for your reply screwloose:)

There are so many of these cars around that if it really is nothing, and can happen so easily, someone else must have encountered this problem too. And, if that's the case, someone on here will likely have heard of the problem!!

Otherwise...we'll take it to a ford dealer and have them read it, thanks:)

Edited by Mumstheword on 03/01/2008 at 16:18

M-t-W

Ahh; that's cleared that up. Ring the garage and ask them what code they found - and tell them to write any codes on the bill next time. It's not common on Focii [nothing is; I rarely see one] so there may be a clue in which code the ECU decided to flag.

There's no temp sensor on the cat - only a post-cat oxygen sensor that measures it's efficiency. [Ok; it was only an illustration.]

Are you [or was the car] in the S/East and maybe affected by the contaminated fuel fiasco last year? [They're still turning up.]
Thanks screwloose,

No, we are in the North West so unlikely to have been affected? We didnt travel to the SE either.

The code was read months ago, so if they didnt write it on our bill, I dont suppose they'd still have a record of it - I think we'd just have to have it done afresh. They only charged a tenner so maybe you are right in your thought that they havent actually read it properly, rather just reset it.

Husb has just told me that he read on another forum about a data lead which can be bought for about £20, enabling you to code read your car with the use of a laptop. Does this sound right? He's thinking of buying one if it's true, and reading it himself. I know it wont save a huge amount, but if it's needed again in the future it would:)

Sorry to add extra questions, but you sound knowledgeable!

Thank you again, your help really is appreciated:)
M-t-W

There are dozens of these gadgets around - mostly made for the US market and sold by shysters. If you can get one that says it reads EOBD protocols then you're in with a chance. Even better if you can find someone that said it read theirs.
Fantastic, thank you, if he finds one that says it does that, I will post a link.

I know you wont be able to say that it WILL do the job, but you may be able to recognise a crappy write up lol:)

I think he'd be better to take it to a ford garage...!!
2002 1.6 zetec engine warning light - Buncranaman

My 03 Focus also showed the engine warning lamp but dissapeared when I disconnected battery - but came back 2 months later, try the SDM below codes may be different for other models - google for the code meanings ST170 is listed at www.fordst170.co.uk/dtc-codes.php

Self Diagnostics Mode (from www.fordst170.co.uk/useful.php as it is a lot more detailed than the original posters info)

The Self Diagnostics Mode gives you in-depth information about your engine and the actual numbers in digital. To use it, follow the steps:

Insert Key but do not turn it on
Press and hold the Trip Meter Reset Button
While holding the reset button, start your car and continue holding the button
Within 10 seconds, the display should change to "test" in LCD font and the needles will do a full sweeping. Release the Button
Pressing the button will now cycle through some 17 different modes

1.Shows a Gauge Sweep
2. Shows all 8′s on the LCD (LCD TEST)
3. Illuminates all the bulbs on the dash
4. Displays hexadecimal value for ROM level
5. Displays the hexadecimal value for EE level
6. Shows DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code)
7. Digital Speedometer - mph
8. Digital Speedometer - kph
9. N/A
10. Digital tachometer
11.Fuel volume
12. Engine coolant temperature
13. Battery voltage
14. ABS fail
15. Electronic brake distribution (EBD) failure
16. Illumination
17. Crank Sense

Dannie
2002 1.6 zetec engine warning light - johnreeves
Not meaning to scare you but i had a 52 plate focus zetec with same problem. I took it to loads of garages and they all said there was no fault and cleared the light for it to come back within 2 - 3 days. Mine finally cured when the boot caught fire whilst i was driving due to and i quote the garage " a wiring fault that ford know about". Would suggest contacing dealer to see if yours may have same fault.
2002 1.6 zetec engine warning light - mfarrow
What was the failure mode and how did this affect the ECU? That must have been one hell of a boot cable not to blow the fuse.
2002 1.6 zetec engine warning light - Radark
I had a similar problem. After much investigation it turned out there was a simple solution.
The signals that turn the engine light on or off are extremely sensitive and it doesn't take much current to get the light to turn on.
Remove your instrument cluster carefully and go to the two small tracks on the PCB which lead to the offending light, carefully with a cotton bud/swab clean any dirt or moisture that may have accumulated on the tracks and especially in between the two tracks. Hey presto no more offending light.
Hope this helps it solved my problem anyway and saved me hundreds of Euros to replace the whole instrument cluster.
2002 1.6 zetec engine warning light - Focus_man

I had same problem.All drives ok no loss of power or erratic idle. Called Ford dealer who wanted to plug into Diagnostic and said it would be minimum cost of £50 to diagnose. Hopefully you will be as lucky as me..........

Disconnect battery negative cable and leave it for 2 + minutes.Re connect cable then disconnect it again........Do same for minimum of 3 times then reconnect for last time.Do not switch ignition on or use any power during this operation.With luck the warning light will extinguish when you next start the engine.

Focus_man