97, Central Locking Problems - Squid
I have a P reg fiesta which is generally in good working order.

Recently a fault came up with my central locking.

I cannot unlock the drivers door at all. I have to open the car from the passenger side. When I turn the key in the lock I have to pull the handle at exactly the right time in order to catch the "open" stage. If I don't catch it automatically locks again. Once I've got the door open the central locking system continues to lock and unlock until I've got in the car and shut the door.

In order to get out of the car I have to pull the handle on the passengers side to get the handle on the drivers side moving in and out (locked and unlocked), I then have to catch the handle at the right time in order to get the door unlocked and I then have to nudge the door to get it open!

Also, if I get out the car and shut the doors the car is automatically locked.

I've been told it might be a short or a fuse problem...any other ideas?

Thank you! :)

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 03/01/2008 at 11:49

97, Central Locking Problems - Screwloose

Corrosion, or a broken wire, in the door plug between the hinges is a common source of problems.
97, Central Locking Problems - Saltrampen
first step - Spray WD40 or equivalent in lock when door open.

if no luck, remove inner door panel (Manual maybe needed) and carefully peel back waterproof membrane, spray more WD40 into locking motors carefully reseal membrane with sealant.

If still no luck, then it maybe auto electrician or dealer time, unless you feel confident with a multimeter and taking a door apart.

If it is corrosion and it is bad, the locking unit may have to come out to be either refurbished or replaced.

97, Central Locking Problems - mfarrow
In addition to the above posts, may I add your problem is with the passenger door, not the driver's door.

The passenger side latch/lock mechanism is refusing to unlock by the central locking plunger. The driver's door on the other hand won't lock whilst it's open, so the system just swings back and forth like you describe.

If you unlock the car with the passenger door you'll be alright because your hand has more clout than a 12v motor.

--------------
Mike Farrow

Edited by mfarrow on 03/01/2008 at 15:52

97, Central Locking Problems - mfarrow
In addition to the above posts may I add your problem is with the passenger
door not the driver's door.

I'm too slow to edit so...

Sorry didn't see your bit about not being able to get out unless you open passenger door, so best take above with large pinch of salt.

97, Central Locking Problems - Squid
Thank you all for your tips, i'll try these things....will let you know outcome :)