535d or new XF - andy from embsay
Changing my car in May and had pretty much decided to give the new Jag a blast - it's packed with toys, it seems to be getting great reviews and it's a new model (but based on pretty much tested bits) - but then was looking through what else is available and the 5 series is pretty cheap on our list at work - so was considering the 535d, which is a flippin' flying machine by comparison, and I could pretty much get it up to the same spec as the Jag for about the same money.

I know nobody'll have driven the Jag, but has (a) anyone anything to say about the 535d, and (b) new model or older tried and tested number?

Cheers
535d or new XF - Pugugly {P}
You'll hate the 535d honest*

* total lie - you'll love it !
That's what I expect, but the Jag will have that rarity factor. I'm also struggling to get a test in a 535d - the dealer phoned and said "we haven't got a 535d to test, but will a 525d do instead?" Erm...no - I want to test the same engine, please...
535d or new XF - Peter S
The 535d Touring is, in my opinion, one of the most complete 'real-world' cars on the market today. Quick, economical (ish...), fun or relaxing to drive depending on your mood, as well as spacious, practical and comfortable...and best of all it's not a 4x4 ;-)

Peter
Mine is the best BMW I've owned (run them for many years), on top of that its the finest car I've driven. Everything about it was just right (ok you can be picky about the harsh ride and the I-Drive) but above all this motor is totally accomplished in every driving environment, town, country roads and especially motorways. Fuel economy was fine but the best thing of all is not just the blistering performance but the way the car delivers it. Its the mearest thing to perfect - driving anything else only proves to you how good a piece of engineering this car is. Its built and drives in the best traditions of BMWs. Its good - very good. This forum is dotted with things I miss about my car but I miss the "whole" as well. Put it like this, lying in bed at 3.00am unable to sleep that car used to beckon me to take it out and drive. Its a difficult car to thrash.
Hmmm - the idrive thing was worrying me a bit, but I see they've put 8 "favourites" buttons now so at least you can programme some stuff in. It's getting further up the pecking order as I type - for performance it shafts the Jag 2.7D by a mile - it's just the fact it's an older model. When's it being replaced? Any idea?
535d or new XF - Westpig
the Autocar article said the next 5 series is out in 2009 and gave a quick spy shot with a load of disguise on it
535d or new XF - Westpig
the most recent Autocar tested the XF against the 5 Series and they reckoned the XF came out on tops.

the cars were both V8 petrols, the Jag being an auto, BM being a manual 550iM Sport. This was in California.

The road tester stated he'd rather be in the Jag, albeit it wasn't as quick. The interior of the Jag came in for some notable praise, as did the gearbox.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/01/2008 at 22:38

Ah - cool - I'd seen they were going to do a comparison this week - will have to get to the newsagents on the morrow!
535d or new XF - Westpig
I made an error in my above post, maybe a mod would be kind enough to correct it. The cars tested were Jag XF Premium Luxury and BMW 550i M Sport
535d or new XF - Avant
I haven't had my copy of this week's Autocar yet but there's a comparison of these two that should be worth reading.
Just had a look at CAR's website no mention of a new five but I really wish I hadn't gone there......there's a 720bhp M5 (Hurricane) coming out good for 211mph..........oh dear :-(
535d or new XF - cheddar
Thats engineered by a German firm IIRC that have done various nutter BMWs before, an M3 with an M5 V10 etc.
Flippin' 'eck I'm in love.
535d or new XF - jimf1912
I have a 335d, with the same engine as the 535d, and it really is so sweet. Since the start of this thread I've been thinking about how the engine could be improved - and I can't think of anything. It even sounds good when being leaden with the right foot - very undiesel-like.

Also 210bhp vs 282bhp in the BMW is a helluva difference, maybe a different story when the Jaguar 3.6 V8 diesel comes out. But will mpg be unacceptable for that?
That was my thinking re the BHP, but I have the E280CDi at the moment and that never feels underpowered (certainly has all the umph I've ever needed) - but would certainly like to try the 535d before making a decision.
Tell the dealer that you're serious, they'll find you a 535d if they need to shift metal. Its a tail wagging scenario.
535d or new XF - midlifecrisis
What's the real world mpg of a 535d?
I used to manage 35 mpg never less then 30, used to improve on long constant dpeed drives on Mroads Craphounds and mimsers permitting.
If you want more MPG the 33od was more economical nearer never below 35 and 40 generally.
535d or new XF - midlifecrisis
It'll be a while before the Pug coupe goes, but I've already been looking at 5 series diesels. Seems the perfect family car. (As simple Plod, not sure I could stretch to a 535d...it was only the defence solicitors that turned up in those :) )
Not any more :-(
Now have the quotes back from our lease people. First thing is I'm going to have to do this over 3 years instead of my preferred 2 - which kind of pushes the beemer down the list a bit, as by the time it comes to change they'll be 2 years into the new model. However, Jag have said they can't do adaptive cruise control (which I really liked when i had it on a test merc a year or two back) on the diesel. so I'm now choosing between the following:

XF 2.7d - comes with leather, memory seats, keyless entry, folding rear seats, sat nav, bluetooth phone and have specced xenon/active lights, DAB, parking aids and TV tuner. No adaptive cruise and substantially less poke than beemer but arguably a better drive (only based on Autocar's verdict yesterday!).
535d - have specced leather, active xenons, sat nav, bluetooth phone, adaptive cruise and folding seats. No memory seats, keyless entry, DAB or telly (telly not an issue but DAB's nice). Massively pokier but an older model and (dare I say it) it's a BMW. ;-)

And the joker in the pack:

Merc C320CDi Sport - Sat Nav, bluetooth, leather, active xenons, split/fold seats. Newish model, a bit smaller than the above (but bigger than the old one), respectably poky - and i can do this one over 2 years for the same money as the above over 3.

Any thoughts?

Edited by andy from embsay on 04/01/2008 at 15:28

535d or new XF - Westpig
Jag..........but i'm well biased
That's still the way I'm drifting, mainly on account of its novelty factor and you won't see many of them - and as long as I do it over 3 years with the exception of the adaptive cruise it's got more bells and whistles than you can shake a fairly substantial bundle of sticks at.
535d or new XF - Westpig
hope you do....and it's my impression PU is wavering

i'd love to see a decent bit of feedback about one on here, because road testers for magazines live in an acute handling race track type dream world IMO, which isn't what the real world is about....although that Autocar article seemed quite balanced and sensible
535d or new XF - boxsterboy
But it was in the US, in US spec cars on roads that are quite different from ours. As always, wait for the UK tests. I suspect the extra performance of the 535 will see it win the day then.

andy, you know the Merc V6 in your E280. The C320 will be quicker, nippier, slightly more economical, and certainly worth a look. But you won't get the looks from passers-by that you would in a Jag (not sure if that is good or bad for you).
Oh - the test in Autocar was a 550i vs the V8 jag - not the same engines - but they were talking more about the car as a place to be, transmission, suspension etc - the beemer won hands down on out and out grunt anyway (as it does with the diesel).

Decidedly unimpressed with the BMW dealer - they have the chance to shift about 45 grand's worth of car and they "can't get one" for me to drive!
Well if I hadn't flogged my beloved 535 a couple of months ago it would have been a pleasure to let you have a go in mine......true what they say absence does make the heart grow fonder. Its a superb car, I said this here about my old shape 530d and I'll say it about the 535d - probably the best all round production car in the world - for any money.