Main Dealer Oil Price - Doc
Had a pleasant surprise today.

I went to buy an oil filter from a Nissan Main Dealer and saw they had Nissan brand oil on display.
It was only £13.86 for 5 litres top spec. 10w/40
I thought this was a bargain, as I usually pay around £18 for Castrol Magnetec (4 litres) from the Cash and Carry.

Anyone know who makes it?

Main Dealer Oil Price - Scott H
No idea who makes it, but I've always been impressed with the price of oil and filters from Nissan Main Dealers. Often undercuts Halfords own-brand prices, unless there's a special on.
Main Dealer Oil Price - 659FBE
Castrol Magnatec, like most other products marketed under this flag of convenience, is spectacularly poor value for money.

I buy Fuchs semi-synth at GBP12.99 for 5 litres from my local farm supplies shop. It's a 10W-40 oil and it meets ACEA B4 for my IDI diesel (run to 135k miles without any attention other than maintenance).

Main Dealer Oil Price - jc2
Try Ford dealers;their own oil is excellent value.
Main Dealer Oil Price - Pugugly {P}
BMW by the litre is cheaper than the equivalent Skoda by two quid. How does that work ?
Main Dealer Oil Price - MichaelR
BMW wanted £100 for 6.5 litres of oil for me. So I said no thanks, supplied my own, and saved a fortune.
Main Dealer Oil Price - Bill Payer
BMW wanted £100 for 6.5 litres of oil for me. So I said no thanks
supplied my own and saved a fortune.

My local MB was the same - £12.95+VAT per litre, and my car takes 6.5L too.
They must be chucking £70 or so of pure profit yet they seemed delighted that I supplied my own oil and didn't even make an oil disposal charge which has crept in on many servicing invoices.
Main Dealer Oil Price - Simon
Vauxhall branded oil is also good value for money, especially coupled with one of the Vauxhall Trade Club cards.
Main Dealer Oil Price - quizman
The OP wanted to know who makes Nissan oil, no-one seems to know.

I would like to know who makes branded parts and oils, ie who makes Ford oil filters etc?

I know that Ford oil is Texaco, John Deere oil is Shell, Claas/McCormick/Case oil is Morris. But I don't know about Nissan, Vauxhall, VW, or many others. Surely someone on this site must know?
Main Dealer Oil Price - Mr Fox
My Close friend worked for a well known oil company for many years.

He told me about this over few beers recently - ALL OIL IS THE SAME !

They make one kind of oil, of each grade, which satisfies the toughest criteria, and put it into dozens of different cans and it is sold at various prices.

It seems incredible but he swears that this is what they do.

Texaco make it for lots of other people too.

What the VAG group dealers charge is utter robbery.
Main Dealer Oil Price - smokie
Vauxhall dealer charged me £10 + VAT per litre (of 6) at my recent service. Although it was fully synth I felt a little bit ripped off. Just a little. I guess it also took 30 minutes to change at £80 an hour or whatever, plus filter.

They won't see my car again for a service.

Edited by smokie on 08/01/2008 at 00:35

Main Dealer Oil Price - Dynamic Dave
Vauxhall dealer charged me £10 + VAT per litre (of 6) at my recent service.
Although it was fully synth ...

Someone is selling GM 5W/30 fully synth for £20 (free p&p) on ebay at the moment.

tinyurl.com/37hem4
Main Dealer Oil Price - Ruperts Trooper
Had a pleasant surprise today.
I went to buy an oil filter from a Nissan Main Dealer and saw they
had Nissan brand oil on display.
It was only £13.86 for 5 litres top spec. 10w/40
I thought this was a bargain as I usually pay around £18 for Castrol Magnetec
(4 litres) from the Cash and Carry.
Anyone know who makes it?

"top spec 10w-40" vs "Castrol Magnatec"

I'm losing the will to give advice - I'm not sure I'd use Castrol Magnatec in my lawnmower.
Why, what's wrong with Castrol oil? I've been using it for 42 years with no problems.
And yes, I also put it in my lawnmower.

Main Dealer Oil Price - Ruperts Trooper
Nothing's wrong with Castrol, their range of oil is extensive even if UK availability is limited, I wish they'd make Transmax J and (US) Import Multi-Vehicle ATF available here as some UK vehicles do need this specification.

I've just looked at Castrol's website at Magnatec's specification - I accept my prejudice against it is clearly out of date.

Thanks RT, but I find that Castrol car oil is one of the easier ones to find. I get mine from Makro, Costco or Halfords.

I always used Agricastrol on my farm stuff, but this is now difficult to get so I use Shell. Their Rimula Super 15W/40 is £220 for a 205 litre barrel, so just over £1 per litre. I used to put this in my son's old diesel 306 and our old ZX, but I wouldn't use it in newer cars. I pay about £12 per litre for that!
Main Dealer Oil Price - Lud
It might not be too good in some modern cars but my late father was very keen on graphited oil being a belt and braces sort of chap. It had the added advantage or disadvantage, depending on your point of view, that it looked totally filthy when new, so the only way to tell whether it was in need of replacement, unless you knew how long it had been in the engine, was to feel it... Of course you had to have knowledgeable fingers to do that.

I seem to remember that the other colloidal oil gimmick was molybdenum disulphide. Didn't make the oil black either.

I suppose the theory behind these additives was that if you accidentally ran the engine dry of oil the residues would preserve the bearing surfaces for another minute or two. I have no idea if they worked, but they didn't do any harm when used normally.
Main Dealer Oil Price - jc2
Do you remember "MOLYCODL"-additive being a mixture of colloidal graphite and molybdenum disulphide?
Main Dealer Oil Price - Tron
Unipart or Partco own branded mineral and now semi synth as well as Valvoline oils.

Won't pay for pure synthetic oil - too expensive.

Used all 3 makes for two decades. No hassles or worries.

Good thing is that you can mix mineral and semi synth. Well, you can the brands I use.

I have been told that you **must not ever** mix semi synth or mineral with pure synthetic oils though.