To Bangernomic or not? - john96
Hi people,
great site,spent last 2 nights reading lots of old threads!!
Anyway,my question is that I will be moving to a part of the country with my job thats quite far from where I live,intention is to commute home 1-2 w/e per month and I was looking at getting an ex-rental Motorpoint astra estate for about 8 grand.
Now after reading loads of threads,Im thinking would Bangernomics make more sense??
Primera,Almera,Accord are coming to mind straight away,any other suggestions most helpful!!
To Bangernomic or not? - Nsar
Bangernomics is like some weird cult. You save by buying a car for £300 but the real price is you lose all your friends because you have to bore the pants off them about how liberating it is to pay so little. You can be a sort of CofE Bangernomics adherent (in the sense that you're not really committed to the creed) by buying any one of the cars you mention and have a decent experience for about £1500 - £2000. Buy on condition not age/mileage and you'll be OK.
To Bangernomic or not? - Pebble
By all means yes, just keep your eyes open and you too will find a great bangernomics vehicle cheap, cheap, cheap. The guy down the street has a late-Eighties Fifth Avenue for sale for $800, and if I didn't already have my classic Mopar, I'd grab it.

"Why buy new when $500 will do?"
To Bangernomic or not? - Cliff Pope
It's all a question of how thick-skinned you are, and whether motivated by fashion or hard economics. If you don't care about turning up at work, functions, social events etc and having everyone see your car only cost £300 while all theirs cost £15,000, that's fine. When they are all talking about the latest this or that, and has yours got triple strength GT air bags and does it remember how loudly you like your favourite radio station, and someone asks, "And what do you drive, Fred?" you can cheerfully answer, a 10 year old Boggs Snail, then join the club.

Some (many?) men can no more admit to having an old car than women can to wearing last year's fashions. You have to decide whether you are one of them, or not.
But the economics are unanswerable. For the annual depreciation alone of a new car you could buy several bangers every year and just chuck them out if they go wrong, and never spend a penny on repairs and maintenance.
Or if you choose a good one and look after it it may still be running when all the fashion models have been scrapped.
Good luck!
To Bangernomic or not? - jc2
You keep the good car at home-you go to work in the banger.
To Bangernomic or not? - T Lucas
Buy a banger,rent something tasty.
To Bangernomic or not? - Chris M
I see where you are coming from Cliff and it wouldn't bother me.

I think it depends why you are into bangernomics. If it's because you haven't got the money in the first place, then you don't have a choice. If you have the money and choose to spend it elsewhere then you can counter any comments by talking about your expensive holiday, new 60 inch plasma TV or even your debt free lifestyle and excellent pension provision - that's bound to wind a few of your colleagues up.
To Bangernomic or not? - Cliff Pope
then you can counter any comments by
talking about your expensive holiday new 60 inch plasma TV or

I think though that that might be just side-stepping the point. If you feel the need to counter any comments then probably bangernomics is not for you. I have known a millionaire bangernome and also people who really do live from week to week, skimping on servicing, tax, insurance, food. But what they have in common is that they don't care what you or I think. Bangernomics is for people who don't need reassurance from others about their standing in life.

It's a bit like the reverse of, "if you have to ask its price, then you can't afford it". If you have to ask what it's like, then you can't endure it.
To Bangernomic or not? - R75
Best thing to do is try it. It is unlikely to cost you much if it does not suit you/your lifestyle.

I tried it about 14 months ago, could have leased a new car or just use the deposit money to buy a car. I got a 10 year old Accord Aerodeck, am very happy with it, have put 2 new tyres on it and had a service a cam belt change done in that time - has not let me down once, Oh forgot I also replaced the Rear Wash Wipe spray nozzle and the dial that sets the cabin temperature, combined cost £22 - so for a purchase price of £1400 and £420 of service/repairs i have had cheap motoring, It went through the MOT last month with no advisories so looks like I should get another year out of it for the cost of a basic service (£85ish), so about £1920 for 2 years or about £80pm over 24 months - If I can get a get a third year out of it it will drop to £56pm - even if it had lasted only a year it would have been good value, over 2 or 3 years it is a no brainer!!! (thats basic running costs and depreciation, assuming car is worth £0 at the end)

I also have to go to some sites that are not paved so the car takes a bit of a beating that would cost me in the trade in/lease on a new car - on an old banger it does not matter a jot.

Edited by TU on 30/12/2007 at 13:19

To Bangernomic or not? - McP
What was the attraction of the Astra Estate?
How much are you thinking of spending on a 'banger'?
What do you want from a car?

I sold my 135K 1997 1.6 Primera a few months ago after 4 year/70K miles.
It was a very reliable car. Only left me stranded once due to the original battery giving up after 10 years.
A little under powered but a good cruiser returning 40mpg on mixed driving.

I bought a 2.0 X-reg Sport to replace it. Around £2000 once I had replaced tyres, brakes and service parts.
It drives very well and I get around 35 mpg from enthusiastic driving.
To Bangernomic or not? - MW
It also depends how important a relaible car is. In my younger days weekends spent under cars seemed a way of life, but not anymore. Other values are important, like lack of stress and worry. Probably the best option is to set a budget of £2-3,000 and get a good 5-6 year old car (maybe a Primera?) with 50-60k miles on it. Over service it, and you will probably get 5 years of 'modern motoring' with air con and some airbags. Still very cheap but stress free motoring.

Edited by MW on 30/12/2007 at 15:11

To Bangernomic or not? - Waino
Probably the best option is to set a budget of £2-3 000 and get a good 5-6 year old car (maybe a Primera?) with 50-60k>>

Blimey, MW, this IS spooky! My son did exactly as you suggested one year ago. He bought a bright red 1.8S Primera, 6 years old, 51,000 miles, lovely condition, from a dealer for £2.4k. So far, it has been an excellent choice - he has no regrets at all.

What's more, his initials are MW!
Astra seemed a cheap buy (at around 8 grand) for a nearly new car with between 7-12000 miles on it,I liked the look of it in design + sxi trim and the 1.6 petrol is not too expensive to run.
Also the (percieved maybe) reliability of a nearly new car,but if an older (jap?) car
gives me the same or better,then why waste 5-6 grand more buying nearly new?
MW you have got what Im thinking about right,but thinking that I can get a clean 2001-2002 honda accord for about that amount,(or a little more) would be a better all round drive than a primera.
Any thoughts? (looking at the 1.8 as the best option,in s or sport spec)
Lastly,is it fair to rule out the daewoos,chevvys etc that are newer,as to me I cant imagine them being good for long drives(which is what Ill be doing at least once a month)
cheers
To Bangernomic or not? - MW
I will be changing my car this summer and will be in this area of 5 year oldish car, £2-4,000. I think the difference from the past is that 30 years ago, 70k miles was where most cars fell to bits, whereas 50-60k now means maybe another fairly comfortable 7-8 years motoring. Over-servicing old cars is definately the key to sucess.
I am torn between a pre 2001 Primera (as I can't stand cam belts) and a Mark 3 Mondeo. It must be an auto and the Ford gearbox is a worry, but the car is safer, a bit larger, and a tad newer in design. Have to look at prices in June/July.

Edited by MW on 30/12/2007 at 17:31

To Bangernomic or not? - Cheeky
I ran a Volvo 440i for several years. Bought it for £500 -- needed a new radiator but that was all. Brilliant...!
If you are not bothered by the appearance/image of the Primera, then test drive one.
One of my Mrs work colleagues got into mine thinking it was the taxi she had ordered!

The 2.0 is the better engine and not much difference in fuel consumption over the 1.8.
It is a really good drive, especially through the twisty bits.

No cambelt to change.
Easy to self-service if you are willing/able.
Primera,
I take it that the best primeras to look at are the 2 litre models made until 2001?
The newer ones are not so good?
To Bangernomic or not? - Pendlebury
I think if I was going into bangernomics I would go for a Subaru (Forester probably). They are capable of huge mileages if serviced correctly and are built to last a life time.
And will probably stay totally reliable even with big miles on the clock.
Pre 2002 on the Primeras.
Regular oil change history is important for the cam chain.
You will hear a rattle at startup. If it lasts more than a few seconds walk away.
Check suspension for knocks.
Drive it on full lock and check for CV joint clicking.

Bad points on the Primera:
Noisy above 4K revs when the power really kicks in.
Very very poor turning circle on the 99-02 model.
Some owners say internal trim rattles. Mine is 90K and fine.
I sometimes find the suspension on my Sport harsh. Unlike the Sport+ it has standard suspension, so probably due to the 50 profile tyres.
SE+ with full heated leather is supposed to be the most comfy.
No cruise control available which I think you can get on the Accord?

The 2.0 falls into the higher road tax band, so pre 2001? if you want to avoid CO2 banded road tax.

Quite a few electrical problems on the newer model and not very reliable DCi diesels apparantly.
The Pre 2002 diesels are not very good. Poor performance and fuel consumption.

In case I have missed anything, log onto NPOC.co.uk and asking for buying advice on a 2.0 P11-144.
They are very friendly and helpful. You will need to register but it is free.
To Bangernomic or not? - OldSock
A lot can depend on how much repair and/or maintenance work you're able to undertake yourself. The car may be cheap, but garage labour rates just keep going up :-(

If you are handy with the spanners, you can 'afford' to take a chance on something slightly more interesting or 'upmarket' than the Primera (which, whilst worthy, is pretty dull!). Spares can be ridiculously cheap on Ebay, though a hoarding instinct can take hold for things that 'might come in useful'...

I bought a '93 Mercedes 280E (W124 series) about nine months ago for £600 which has proved totally reliable and MoT'd without 'advisories'. Drives smoothly and feels 'tight' even with 160k on the clock - and could probably be sold for what I paid for it indefinitely!

Edited by Webmaster on 31/12/2007 at 01:45