Mercedes C-class 'rattly' suspension - ForumNeedsModerating
Would be grateful for any suggestions on this - C-class 270cdi, there's a rattly sound from the front nearside wheel area. I'm convinced it's a disc pad since it happens predominantly on slightly broken ground (like imperfect gravelled tarmac with missing chunks) - & goes completely if I apply (or even touch) the brakes.

I've had it 'checked' in 2 independent garages (the last franchise dealer service highlighted their inadequacy so haven't returned to them) who found nothing except for wheel bearing adjustment for that wheel. In fact, one dealer couldn't really hear it to any degree after a test drive - but that I put down to their lack of 'sensitivity' to the car (and its sounds) than to any possible obsession on my part.

All linkages & bushes were checked & found to be ok (I also checked around the car when it was hoisted too) The disc pad clips look to be in place as well.

Could the replacement pads I had installed (local national franchise tyre/pad outlet) be slightly the wrong size or other? Could pattern parts (if they use them) be slighlty diffrerent size/quality etc, so be causing this?

TIA for any suggestions...
It's driving me crazy!

Mercedes C-class 'rattly' suspension - 659FBE
If your car has Teves front brakes, I've had this and other problems with pattern pads. The genuine Teves pads have accurately cut backplates which fit the caliper windows without binding. Importantly, the friction material is clear of the backplate/window interface. Some pattern pads don't meet this requirement - I had a problem with sticking pads due to the (Ferodo) friction material being slightly proud of the backplate edge. Others have rattled as you describe.

Make absolutely sure that any anti-rattle springs are not over-compressed on assembly. It's easy to do and everything looks normal when the caliper is assembled. The preload is lost, and the damn things rattle.

Many thanks 659FBE, I'll check out those points. Maybe I've learned a lesson here about using franchised outlet brake servicing - cheap for a reason.

cheers
woodbines
Mercedes C-class 'rattly' suspension - MW
Nothing wrong in using a good independent garage. MB will charge the earth for what is basically a 30 minute job, just always supply your own pads. Euro Car Parts do MB top makes for about £30 or so. My experience is that you should never skip on cheap pads. The difference is only £10-12 and the cheap ones just do not have that 'feel and bite' of top makes.
MW
I never knowingly skimp, especially on these sort of matters. I used a national franchise tyres & brakes outlet - we all know the name, so assumed they'd use OEM bits & it wasn't cheap at ~£85 for 2 front pad sets. Noted your advice though - next I'll insist OEM parts & ask to see the bits before they fit.

cheers
woodbines
Mercedes C-class 'rattly' suspension - MW
£85 for front pads is a bit stiff. As I say £30ish and £30 to fit them. Most independents might even do them while you wait so you can see 'your' pads go on. Do try Euro Car Parts. Ive had nothing but good service and quality parts at non MB prices over many years. The first set of Textar pads I fitted were OEM and when I took the old Textars off the car there was a 3 pointed star on the back.
Chatting to the parts man there the other day, I remarked how an OEM oil filter is £3.25p while a cheaper version is £2.75p. Why not get te real MB part. He remarked that the trade will always but cheap if it can, and if you offer anyone a 10p discount; they leave happy!
All noted, ta MW. I'll be paying the franchise tyres place a visit after I get this sorted (elsewhere!) & let them know what I think of their 'service'...