busted slave cylinder! - telecaster
My son recently borrowed his sisters alfa 145 twin spark.

When he returned he informed me the handbrake (also low fluid level)light had come on in the car.

I suspected a burst flexible brake pipe......further investigation tho led to a leaking clutch slave cylinder.

My question is was this caused by abuseie:redlining car and taking of ?

Or was it just a matter of normal wear.......the seal on the "in" side of the piston was pinched while the outter seal was perfect.......to put it bluntly......did the little sod wreck the cylinder?

BTW....80 euro for a new cylinder....shame on you Alfa!
busted slave cylinder! - oilrag
No, Just bad luck that it went while he was driving it.

regards
busted slave cylinder! - Red Baron
Had the clutch slave cylinder (it sits above the gearbox bell housing at the rear right of the engine) go on my 145 at about 120k miles - they can only fail by wear and tear. It uses the same fluid as the brake system. Mine was only weeping, but if yours is dripping I'd get it fixed ASAP. Any decent mechanic should be able to fix these. £28 + VAT for the part and £35 for the labour.

Ask the garage to fix it without taking the battery out otherwise you may have problems with the immobilizer/radio code. Mine managed to do it.
busted slave cylinder! - telecaster
Well I actually installed it my self red......and i did remove battery.

So far no problems in that regard.........I would say it is near impossible to change it without removing it.

Should I bleed brakes also...they feel like there is a wee bit of air in there?
busted slave cylinder! - Red Baron
That depends whether you clamped the pipe from the cylinder. I believe that the feed line does split in that if the cylinder were to fail catastrophically you would not lose fluid from the brake lines.

If you clamped the cylinder you may have to bleed the clutch a little. Otherwise you may have to bleed the brakes too.
busted slave cylinder! - injection doc
quite common. done a fair few .may have a master cylinder follow shortly as well!
Doc