Baby Seats and long term reliability. - AJ 306
Hi - I have a 1999 Peugeot 306 Diesel Turbo which has about 128000 miles on the clock. I've recently had a new cambelt and radiator fitted and like the other guy, the aircon is knackered and too expensive to fix. Apart from a minor issue with the brakes going a few months ago, I've had nothing but trouble free motoring in it since I got it second hand.

The wife is expecting in April and I am concerned about its reliability and its safety. I was wondering how long I can expect it to keep going. I really like it but I want something with all the safety whistles and bells. Opinions would be welcome

Also, does anyone know if there is a particular brand or make of car seat that fits a 306 particularly well???

Cheers

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 18/12/2007 at 14:33

Peugeot 306 and babies - DP
Assuming no problems with the common rail injection system, the answer is probably 200,000+ miles. These are very tough cars which tend to go on and on. I've never seen a rusty one either, and even the early L reg models tend to still be in good shape.

It also has a three star NCAP rating which is not too shabby for a car designed nearly 15 years ago.

The nice thing with the 306 is it doesn't tend to go "baggy" with miles like a lot of cars. I drove a 150,000 mile XSi petrol which, apart from a clonk from the front suspension over sharp bumps, still had a lovely supple ride and very sharp handling.

re: the car seats, Britax have an excellent model-by-model car seat fitment guide on their website:

www.britax.co.uk/index.php?option=com_fitfinder&ho...2

We have two Britax seats and are delighted with them.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Peugeot 306 and babies - AJ 306
Thanks DP. It is a good car and if I can keep it rather than shell out for a new car at a time when we are losing a wage and having lots of other expenses but keeping "junior" safe is the most important bit.
Thanks for the link as well.
Merry Christmas!
Peugeot 306 and babies - UncleR
Try to get yourself down to your local authority childseat fitting centre (sorry, don't know what they're called). Council run service who test various seats in your car and advise on best one. They don't sell them, so there's no incentive other than safety. Really useful.
Peugeot 306 and babies - normd2
sorry I've not tried it in a 306 but our Maxi Cosi SPS (side protection system) from Halfords fits nicely into the Rover and the Previa.
Peugeot 306 and babies - UncleR
Index of the centres I mentioned.

www.childcarseats.org.uk/advice/index.htm
Peugeot 306 and babies - AJ 306
Thanks UncleR very useful.
Peugeot 306 and babies - AlastairW
We used to have a nice Klippan car seat in my 306 istr. Get your self to you nearest out of town Mothercare. They will let you try seats in the car until you find one that fits. Incidentally, I found that the baby seat had to be on the passenger side in the rear as the drivers seat was too far back (and I'm only 5'9")