'97 1.7td Constantly flattening battery - Cornish Lass
I have always found the battery in my Astra struggles, especially in cold weather. I replaced the standard battery with a heavy duty one last January, but it still struggles during the winter when starting from cold, especially if not used every day. Using through the week its fine, but Monday mornings its touch and go whether there is enough juice left to start it!

I assume something is draining it when parked. Is it possible to disconnect or take fuse/relay out of the alarm circuit and still start the car? I know some alarm systems are tamper-proof and immobilise the car if any disconnection is attempted. We just want to rule this out as a possible cause, and the alarm is the only thing other than the clock that is running when the car is not used. Its the standard factory fitted alarm which sets as soon as key is removed from the ignition.

Any advice on this or any other possible causes please?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/12/2007 at 12:41

'97 Astra 1.7td Constantly flattening battery - Screwloose
CL

You'll be chasing this drain forever if you don't tackle it head-on.

Nip down the scrappies and get yourself a plastic sidelight bulbholder [out of any suitable headlight] that comes with a couple of bits of wire attached.

Disarm the alarm and disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Connect one wire from the bulbholder to the terminal and the other to the battery's neg post. [Croc clip or similar.]

If there's any sort of drain it will light. [Try opening the door...] Now pull fuses and disconnect everything until it goes out. [Remember to turn the interior light out if you've got the door open.]
'97 Astra 1.7td Constantly flattening battery - Ruperts Trooper
You can't disarm the OE alarm on a Vauxhall, at least not officially!

Disconnecting the battery to do the test above will set the OE alarm off unless the handbook prescribed method of disconnection is used.
'97 Astra 1.7td Constantly flattening battery - Dynamic Dave
unless the handbook prescribed method of disconnection is used.

Turn ignition key on then off. Disconnect battery within 15 seconds. Helps to slacken the terminals first so you're not fighting time with a spanner in your hand.

If electric windows fitted, you'll have to reset the one touch afterwards by closing and then keeping your finger on the buttons for approx 5 seconds.
If remote central locking, you'll probably have to re-sync the fob to the car. Key in ignition, turn till you get the dash lights, then press the fob buttons within 30 seconds. The C/L will trigger to confirm that it's worked.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/12/2007 at 12:47

'97 Astra 1.7td Constantly flattening battery - bell boy
i think its an old car
an old battery now
and an old starter motor
trying to drag old thick engine oil round

my thoughts?
get oil and filter changed
give veeicle a good run to fully charge the battery

try system tommorrow
'97 1.7td Constantly flattening battery - John S
Worth checking the amount of current the car is taking when it's at rest. The problem may not be the alarm. Disconnect the battery (if it's got an alarm check in the manual how to do that without setting it off. I beleieve it's ignition on, then off, then disconnect battery within 15 seconds - so needs a terminal loose) Put a millammeter in series with the battery lead and reconnect. The static drain should be a few 10's of milliamps, even with an alarm. If it's significantly more, pull fuses until you find the source of the current drain.

JS