Advanced Driving - alex823
I have been looking recently at improving my driving skills by taking some sort of advanced driving course. I have looked into it and there seems to be so much choice and was just wondering if anyone else could share their experiences.

I had a look at the RideDrive site. Looked very good (but expensive) and appears to teach you a range of skills.

Also looked into IAM / ROSPA. This seems a cheaper option but seems to concentrate more on the road / safety side of things and less on car control etc..

I am interested in both sides of things - obviously getting the best out of my car but also in becoming a better, safer driver.

Anyone had any experience / any opinions of any of these.

Edited by astral83 on 16/12/2007 at 20:58

Advanced Driving - Ruperts Trooper
The IAM Skills for Life scheme is excellent - all about on-road safety.

Why not combine that with seperate race track training, as it may be difficult to find single packages covering both.
Advanced Driving - Sofa Spud
Doing the IAM test just qualifies you to drive a car, which you can do already. Why not do an LGV (lorry) or a PCV (bus) test, then you'll have an extra entitlement to show for your effort, even if you never put it to use?
Advanced Driving - former farmer
I would suggest the IAM route plus some skid pan tuition would be a good way to go.

My own experience was along those lines. A couple of years ago my daughter at 17 was keen to get on the road, and as I had at the time to teach her, decided to do most of her driving lessons.

Having had clean license for 30 years plus I had gained a few bad habits.

The IAM course of driving with an observer helps to tidy these. I did not want to be teaching her, when the standard of my own driving might have been in question.

I am not a member of the IAM now, as I found some of their publications and members, though well intended somewhat petty.
Advanced Driving - TheOilBurner
The handy thing about the IAM is that local groups will often arrange discounted skid pan sessions for members.

I agree with the pettiness aspect to a certain degree, many members have a certain moral superiority they like to carry around with them - usually the ones that have prominent IAM badges on the car. OTOH, if you enjoy the kind of discussions here on the finer points of driving, car maintenance standards and the like, you'll probably find the IAM culture ok.

The one major problem I see with the IAM is that they have little room for differences in driving style. They have a "right" way of doing things whether or not you agree with it and it works for your car or not.
For instance, my instructor (a petrol head and very likeable chap too) could not get his head around the low down power a turbo diesel provides and insisted I keep the revs around 2500 and above. On a car that produces its power 1250rpm lower compared to an equivalent petrol car, that's just wasteful in terms of fuel economy, IMO. My car had plenty of power for normal driving between 1500-2000 rpm without loading the engine at all.
IAM do not tolerate having an opinion in their test, drive their way or do not pass go!

I wonder how many members continue with the pull-push method of steering after passing the test...

Personally, three years on from passing, I don't feel like I'm a better driver now than before I did the Skills for Life course. Insurance premiums also reflect this fact, IAM membership is not relevant to most insurance companies. The errors I see with my own and others driving I was equally aware of before joining the IAM, and equally as powerless to do much or anything about! I still make mistakes and have bad days and do daft things, who can honestly say they don't?

However, someone who starts out as a bad driver with poor awareness and understanding of the road could benefit, but I feel that those kind of people are least likely to want to join the IAM or listen to the instructor anyway! :0)

</rant>!

Edited by TheOilBurner on 18/12/2007 at 08:13

Advanced Driving - Ruperts Trooper
You can only take the IAM test for a vehicle for which you already hold the appropriate DVLA licence - you wouldn't gain any "extra" entitlement - it's about advanced skills, not entitlements anyway.