Ignition Key will not turn - petedriver
The key inserts but will not turn, intermittant. Have tried second key but same problem, nearly got stuck miles away yesterday.

I can see how to take the steering wheel off and covers to get to the sensor and keylock but does anyone know which part is faulty?
If the sensor does not detect either key does the circuit/is it able to stop the key turning.
If this just disables the electrics then it must be a mechanical probelm which means strip down.

Thanks to anyone who can help on this.

Peter
Ignition Key will not turn - Simon
It most likely to be the actual (mechanical) ignition barrel that is at fault. Have you tried giving it a squirt of oil?
Thanks for responding Simon.

I proved it was mechanical by taking the chip out of the key and after fiddling I still managed to turn the key but obviously it would not start. So have stripped down and got the barrel out, it's wear in the barrel as one key is nealy impossible to get it to turn, the other is easier but still takes a number if tries and clunky. So looks like a new barrel and keys.

Ignition Key will not turn - Dynamic Dave
So looks like a new barrel and keys.

Yep. Change now while you are still able to turn it. It will be 100 times more difficult to change when turning the barrel becomes impossible.
Ignition Key will not turn - Hamsafar
They used to replace these for free until the cars was so many years or 100,000 miles. It's a known problem. The offer is long expired though.
Bad news, managed to get the barrel working but when replacing a small cast actuator on the outside broke. Now have ordered a new barrel but loacl dealer will supply one to match my keys which is some consolation, under £50 so not too bad considering I was looking at new keys as well which would have been over £120.
Thanks to all who replied, just hope I don't break the casting again when fitting the next time.