Will me car be written off? - bobbyj
I was recently involved in an accident where I was hit from behind. The third party has accepted full responsibility.

I have just had two estimates carried out on my car, one by the garage and the other by the insurance company's engineer. The garage estimated the repair cost to be £3300 and the engineer £3100. The main damage is to the chassis which requires straightening on a jig.

I have done an online estimate of my cars value and it has come back with a book value of £3600 to £4000 depending on the condition. My car is missing a front foglight and needs a new nearside wing mirror, so it is not it top condition. The retail price is around £5500.

Will my insurance company write it off?

I appreciate your views.
Will me car be written off? - Simon
Probably, but it will be only borderline at best. It depends on what percentage of the cars value that the insurance company works to.
Cheers Simon

I'm hoping that it will be a write off as I have GAP insurance so would get back the full purchase price of the car.

Plus don't really want a car back that's had this sort of damage repaired as surely even if the repairs are good, it won't be in the condition it was before the accident or worth as much when it comes to trading it in.

If the insurance company want to repair it, can I contest their decision?

Moved over from Tech.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 09/12/2007 at 16:48

Will me car be written off? - Falkirk Bairn
Many years ago a friend of a friend was rear ended - before taking it to the garage for a price to repair he reversed it into a wall just to make sure it was a write-off.

I am not recommending this route as this would be illegal
Will me car be written off? - Altea Ego
Yup thats a write off. If you add on contingency, scrap/salvage value, and other costs its well into write off territory
------
< Ulla>
Cheers for the replies.

Hopefully I will hear what is going to happen tomorrow. I am just worried that if they say it is repairable then I will have to go with that decision.
Will me car be written off? - bathtub tom
You could always argue the DOOR mirror and foglight were dislodged in the shunt.
Will me car be written off? - Pugugly {P}
I gave him the benefit of the doubt !
Will me car be written off? - bathtub tom
I bet it wasn't chromed.
Will me car be written off? - Paul I
One of the biggest costs can be hire cars, whilst the garage pays next to nothing for them expect the insurance co to be billed £55 plus VAT a week. Therefore if parts are a problem or it takes 3-4 weeks then this can only help you case.
Will me car be written off? - Dynamic Dave
If you add on contingency, scrap/salvage value, and other costs its well into write off territory.

As Altea Ego says.

More detailed explanation here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=33

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/12/2007 at 20:12

Insurance company saying car's a repair job, as they have valued it at 5400. Not happy about this decision but don't know if I can contest it. The repairs estimate is just under 60% of the value, so they say it's ecomonical to repair.
Will me car be written off? - Altea Ego
wow I am suprised, they valued it very high.
------
< Ulla>
Will me car be written off? - Screwloose

I always get flak for this; but I'll say it again. This is a classic example of just why it is often a mistake to claim off the other party's insurer.

Claiming against the car's owner, with their insurer merely an interested party, is my preferred method of dealing with a 3rd Party claim. That way you retain total control.