Long term new car purchase Volume 1 - stunorthants26
Im toying with the idea of buying a brand new car, to keep 15-20 years ( legislation permitting ).

My budget will be no more than £10k, economy is very important as is emissions.
It must be big enough to cope with family life at a stretch ( 2 kids ). Id also prefer a 5dr what with car seats etc being so bulky.

Obviously the car will do some serious mileage and im used to fairly bullit-proof reliability as I get with my Suzuki van. Im interested in generally good dealers, but depriciation and image count for nothing. Air con would be nice but not a deal breaker.

The car that has sprung to mind at this point is the Kia Rio GS diesel. Im not in any hurry to do this as there may be something new and exciting coming next year.

Just after some ideas as the new car market isnt my strong point.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 11/12/2007 at 22:44

Long term new car purchase - Ed V
I'd put money on your buying again within 3 years.
Long term new car purchase - stunorthants26
I couldnt afford to, its a one-time money offer, ten grand cash to buy a car, hence I want to get the decision right.
Long term new car purchase - cheddar
Well I wouldnt buy new because you can get a 2 year old 15 grand car for 10 grand and it is more likely to last 22 years that the 10 grand car would 20 years. Then again a 5 year old 20 grand car might be better at 25 years old than a new 10 grand car at 20 years old. Perhaps buy a mint 15 year old W124 and run it until it is 40!

I would by a 4 grand second hand car and put the rest on deposit, in 6 or 7 years time you will have around £8000 plus the residual value of the first car (say £1000) to buy another 4 grand car and put 5 grand on deposit.
The problem with buying used cars is that you pick up someone elses rubbish, which I have way too much experience of.

I want a new car and I dont want something expensive to run, so theres little point having a 15 grand car as they will invariably be more expensive to run than a ten grand car.
I want something with atleast 3 years warranty and I want something that benefits from careful ownership from day one. Ive seen how some people treat their new cars and I have no interest in spending ten grand on something thats been thrashed, of which there is no gurantee unless you know the previous owner.

If you keep a car long term, how the car is treated from the start matters.
Long term new car purchase - Pugugly {P}
So young an so cynical ! :-) All the cars I have ever owned have ended up as "second hand" All of them were cherished and will be good if not excellent second hand buys for anyone lucky enough to have them.....and I guess that goes for a lot of cars moved onto second owners.
Im not saying people dont look after their cars, but give any 2 year old car a valet and they all look much the same.

Ive worked in the trade long enough to see how badly some people treat their cars and I really cant be bothered to interview the previous owner about how well they looked after the car.

Ive sold many very good cars but not everyone is like you or I.

I want new because I want the warranty if nothing else.
Long term new car purchase - oldgit
goes for a lot of cars moved onto second owners.

Well, all my new cars that have been exchanged have usually been done so with only about 18k miles on the clock and have been painstakingly looked after. I just get bored with the car and want to exchange it and so anyone picking mine up would also get a cherished car
Long term new car purchase - Ruperts Trooper
I can appreciate your sentiment - but the economics dictate buying a low mileage 1-2 year old car with at least 12 months warranty and selling at 5-6 years old before major replacements become due.

Buying new wastes 30-40% of the price - that's expensive as principles go.
Long term new car purchase - nick1975
Stu

wrt warranty - warranty direct will sort you out for £300ish a year, which is much less than £10k, if that?s all you are after!!!

By the way how many cars have you bought this year?

In answer to your question here is my view

FORD FOCUS HATCHBACK 1.6 Zetec 5dr Climate pack DTD £10,245

Kr

Nick
Focus is a good suggestion but I keep hearing about Ford diesel engines not being so hot on reliability and if I am to keep it a long time, thats a big concern once its out of warranty.

I guess what I want is a modern day Toyota Corolla - the sort of car that will keep on going long after everything else has given up. Do cars like that exist still?
I need atleast 3 years warranty, prefer 5 years. This will be the only time I may have this money to spend, so the car has to have an indefinate lifespan ( aslong as possible ).

Major replacements at 5 years? Surely a car can be expected to last longer than that?
Even my Rover is only having major replacement parts at 11 years old, and thats a Rover! Are cars really that rubbish now that they last aslong as a Tesco carrier bag?
The mechanicals on modern cars are reliable. Full stop. Any mainstream car these days will be good for 150k+.

All that?s required is a little bit of diligence from the owner. And by this I mean check the fluids at least monthly and get it serviced at least once a year.

The main issues these days are dodgy electrics, so if you can avoid these gremlins then you can expect many, many years of happy motoring.

As previous posters have said, like all of us, pound to a penny you?ll want to change before you need to change?.
Long term new car purchase - Pendlebury
It's got to be a Jazz hasn't it for this price new ?
The reason I say this is that it is regularly scored as most reliable car in UK - it was once described (autocar or autoexpress ?) as having better build quality than some cars costing 3 X as much so will last along time and it is coming to the end of it's life so will have had what few bugs it had all sorted.
Plus with it's magic seat system it also makes for a very practical car at this price.
The Jazz is a very good suggestion, except that they dont do a diesel and the petrols can only manage 50 mpg which isnt really that much these days, id expect something that does atleast 60 mpg as do most diesel superminis, some do much more.
I could be doing 15k per year in it so it is quite important.
Long term new car purchase - tyro
I have never bought a 2nd hand car. I once thought about it, but ended up buying new again. I may go through life without ever buying a 2nd hand car. I am aware that I buck the conventional back room wisdom. I have always managed to keep below £9000. So I know where Stu is coming from, and I reckon the Kia Rio diesel would indeed be a good bet.

An alternative suggestion would be a Berlingo (or similar). Ours is now approaching 6 years old, and I would hope to keep it for another 10 years, all being well.
The only worry id have with the Berlngo is that every Citroen dealer ive been in around here are sarcastic and dont take me seriously, treat you like just another person through the door, which doesnt make me feel like spending money with them let alone relying onthem if the car has problems.

My experience from working in a main dealer is that attitudes come from the top down. A good dealer is usually good most of the way through. If they did a ten grand Impreza diesel, id not even have to ask believe me!
The only worry id have with the Berlngo is that every Citroen dealer ive been
in around here are sarcastic and dont take me seriously treat you like just another
person through the door

Valid point. Probably best to scrub the Berlingo from the list.

Though in defense of Citroen dealerships, Pedigreed Citroen of Forres (which I discovered through the good garage section of this website) has about the most helpful, friendly, and polite people of any main dealership that I have encountered.

btw, speaking of the good garage section, I notice that there is a Citroen place in Bedford listed. If it is anywhere near you, it might be worth a look.

Valid point. Probably best to scrub the Berlingo from the list. <<

When I was looking at a C2 before I bought a new Smart, the salesman implied that I wouldnt get as agood a service from them if I didnt buy the car from them and that 'loyalty counts'. He had the cheek to suggest that I should buy the car from them at a higher price to support my local dealer - I said he should sell the car at the same prices as elsewhere and support their local customers and promptly walked out.

Then before I bought my van I popped in on a saturday and wanted to look at a C15 van. Was told the the commercial sales guy wasnt in till monday, come back then.
He could have made some effort to help me with information but instead basically turned me out of the showroom. Frankly pathetic.
Long term new car purchase - Bromptonaut
Stuart,

I'd endorse the Berlingo as well

Bit of a revolution with our local dealerships as the outfit once know by the initials MB appears to have lost the franchise. Search of Cit website last week directed me to something called Allen Citroen at New Duston.
Long term new car purchase - BobbyG
Stu, I can understand that if you still have the same car in 15 years thinking "this car has just been so good for me that I couldn't let it go"

However to set off now and plan to have a car for that length of time - well you (and your family) will get seriously bored with it!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
The pain staking obvious alternative, as others have already said, is to buy exactly the same car but at 2-4 years old.

If your are looking at a 20yr ownership proposition (yes I know, but it?s the OP?s opening gambit) then it makes 1000's times more sense to buy for 5k at 3 years old and keep for 17 years, than £10k new and keep for 20 years

You can try and justify it any which way but the bottom line is, you pay a premium to be the first owner of any mainstream car.

Whereas the Audi RS8 is a whole different ball game!!
I still want a new car. Atleast that way I can choose the colour. Seriously though, its the one thing thats set in stone short of a pre-reg.

Its not really about the economics of buying the car, I dont mind paying the premium for a new car, I just want something reliable and durable.

Im actually rather drawn to the Mitsubishi i despite the small boot. Its such a decent looking car.
Vauxhall Cavalier - If only one had had the foresight eh ?
Long term new car purchase - jbif
Vauxhall Cavalier - If only one had had the foresight eh ?

I know someone who bought his 6 month old ex-rental Cav at auction in 1991. 16years later, he is still happily motoring in it today. All he has had to spend on it is on consumables. It has only had one battery change, and apart from the paintwork needing a t-cut, the car is in pretty good condition. For the last few years, he has dreaded the MOT, and says that if it fails, he will have to scarp it as the 2nd hand value of the car is now virtually zero. But the car keeps passing every year.

Re. the OP's question. Look, stu the man has said he is determined to buy new; so stop trying to tell him to do otherwise. Isn't there some Far Eastern company now offering 7 year mechanical warranties as standard on new cars? Kia or Hyundai or some such like.
Long term new car purchase - MichaelR
Why is a warranty so important? The warranty is 3 years, you intend to keep the car for an additional 12 years after this. Why does this matter?
Because modern cars still go wrong and its often in the first 3 years that faulty parts come to the fore.
Because modern cars still go wrong and its often in the first 3 years that
faulty parts come to the fore.

But if you buy a 2 year old car, the 'faulty parts' may already have been replaced. And youve still got another year of warranty.

£10k will buy a selection of rubbish, nasty brand new cars which if you've any ounce of petrol in your vains will bore you to death after a year let alone 15.

Alternatively, £10k can buy some really rather nice 2 year old cars.

I'd want something pretty solidly built so that it still feels nice at 10 years old rather than baggy and horrible like cheap Clios and Kias etc.

Edited by MichaelR on 07/12/2007 at 23:30

I owned a 9 year old Hyundai Sonata with 90k and it wasnt the least bit saggy. It barely felt run in.
Long term new car purchase - P3t3r
£10k will buy a selection of rubbish nasty brand new cars which if you've any
ounce of petrol in your vains will bore you to death after a year let
alone 15.

Have cars really got that bad? My car was a lot less than £10k when new, and after nearly 5 years of ownership (bought 2nd hand) I still love it. I feel the same as the OP and, when the time comes, will consider a new car in the hope I will keep it for more than 10 years. If I did buy new it would need to be something that I enjoy and I wont get bored with.
Alternatively £10k can buy some really rather nice 2 year old cars.

Somebody elses unwanted car. You know that somebody else has had the oppourtunity to abuse it. It also makes me wonder why people would sell a car that is 2 years old, was it really that bad?
Long term new car purchase - DavidHM
I'd say the Kia Rio (about £8k) or Cee'd (about £10.5k) would be the way to go.

Cee'd would be a perfectly good family car, the Rio would be more "at a push" but is more nimble and has more power despite being smaller. Actually it goes "off a shovel." Only the Cee'd has the seven year warranty although at 15k pa you'd be out of warranty just after the six-year mark (it's 150,000 km).
Long term new car purchase - gordonbennet
Dont reckon your Kia would be a bad choice,dont blame you wanting new, cars are getting far too complicated.

Hyundai seem to be partnered with Kia now so if it was me i'd see what either of them can do for you, and also whats the best warranty wise. Your quite lucky in Npton both dealers in town and seem pretty good.

My son had 2 hyundai's, accent mvi and coupe f2, and he thrashed those vehicles mercilessly (being a young chap..i know i did the same ho hum) and not a single problem with either.

As youre a youngish chap i could understand you not wanting a berlingo/partner combi, but they are very good vehicles, and with the 5 rear windows blacked out my mates blue combi looks surprisingly different (he's got the 2 litre HDI and it pulls like a train).

Dont know why but the berlingo multispace is one of very few motors i'd be prepared to buy used, maybe its the normal maturity of the typical first owner?
(i maybe in said age group but forget the maturity bit)

Next time you feel underwhelmed at your treatment at the cit dealer tell the one concerned that you want large size and a diet coke to go

My only other thought is try and keep an open mind when puchasing, you may just find that as your choice nears the end of warranty, you may want to renew so try and make the choice desirable to others, if that makes any sense.
My grandmother is giving me ten grand to buy a new car - she may well do so again but I cannot assume she will as she intends me to buy something that will last me. Its a sorta once in a lifetime opportunity.

I really do like the Berlingo actually, and if it was sold by Kia, id not hesitate.
I know Im young ( ish ) but my fiance wants kids fairly soon so I take the practical view with cars, style and one-upmanship with badges etc holds no interest for me at all, I want value and longevity.

The Kia, on paper is a great choice, but with a possible economic downturn, im wondering if next year, car prices will be affected. Can only hope!
Long term new car purchase - Avant
Stu - I know how you feel; I've had new cars since 1971, and if you want new that's what you'll have. Ignore the 'always-buy-used' merchants: they have their own priorities and are perfectly right as far as they themselves are concerned, but they decide with the head, not the heart.

Actually even the head can come up with good reasons for buying new. You can run it in as you choose. You can choose the colour and extras. Your car will be one-owner when you come to sell it.

For £10k I'd go for one of these:

Skoda Fabia - you might get a good deal on the outgoing Combi estate ( new model due early 08)
Honda Jazz - 50 mpg is good, and at 15,000 miles a year the diesel / petrol argument is marginal
Toyota Yaris - the 1.3 is more fun to drive than most Toyotas (I haven't tried the diesel) - is there enough room?
Mitsubishi Colt - you'd get more car for your money than with the i
Suzuki Swift - cheap and it gets rave reviews - and you already like the brand

You'd get a basic Focus or Astra discounted for £10k if space is a priority (tho' the Fabia Combi is good for this too).

Go for lots of test drives and have fun!

Edited by Avant on 07/12/2007 at 23:22

Stu - I know how you feel; I've had new cars since 1971 and if
you want new that's what you'll have. Ignore the 'always-buy-used' merchants: they have their own
priorities and are perfectly right as far as they themselves are concerned but they decide
with the head not the heart.

Oh please - you do not buy cars like a brand new Kia or Honda Jazz with 'the heart'. If you'd have said Alfa, fair enough..
I still want a diesel really Avant, I prefer the way you drive them as I change gear early and often start in second gear when I can - if there was a diesel auto id look at that but not in my price range. I run my Rover 420D at the moment and its saving me a fortune on my fuel bill over my 43 mpg van. It matters to me psychologically to get good mpg figures and the CO2 is also correspondingly low aswell.

I think by the time my money is available to me the Fabia might not be stocked any longer.
Yaris seems a little pricey altho lovely car by the look of it.
I guess the Colt is the better car, but the Mitsuibishi i is the kinda car you may not get bored of so quickly and even as an auto, it posts 54 mpg which is quite impressive for a conventional auto. I could tolerate the lower mpg to own a genuinely interesting car like the i.The Colt as a diesel is again, expensive.

Suzuki Swift however, now theres an idea, my local dealer is superb and the car isnt over priced. Certainly worth considering.
I run my Rover 420D at the moment and its saving me a fortune on
my fuel bill over my 43 mpg van.

I'm aware most of my posts in this thread are a bit negative but it's a bit hard not to.

Unless you are doing 20-30-40k a year then no, a Rover 420d is NOT saving you a fortune on the fuel bill over your 43mpg van. Lets assume you are doing average mileage of 12k a year and that your Rover, despite being an oldschool diesel, is acheiving a rather excellent 55mpg. Generous.

Assuming these figures and a fuel cost of 106p a litre, the 'fortune' you are saving is £29 a month. Now, £29 a month is not to be sniffed at, but in the context of a £10,000 car, is virtually meaningless.

Diesel rarely makes sense if you do low mileage, and with todays commonrail diesel engines, I would select petrol for 15 year lifespan without enormous bills. Modern diesels are not as hardy as your Rover L Series.
he wants this car to have room for 2 kids! and keep it for 20 years!

come on - can a Yaris/Colt/Swift really handle 2 teenagers comfotably?

Okay a Jazz if you really try hard, but even that is a bit doubtful

10k gets you a Zetec Focus, and no doubt similar spec Astra, so really there's no need to compromise

Edited by nick1975 on 07/12/2007 at 23:41

10k gets you a Zetec Focus and no doubt similar spec Astra so really there's
no need to compromise

This is the most sensible suggestion in this thread so far although I'd not want a Focus at 10 years old nor an Astra - put it this way, how many of you now would be happy in a 1997 Ford Escort? Nobody probably, it'd rattle like crazy.
Thats a good comparison Michael. I actually think a lot of people would be happy with a 10 year old escort that was problem free.

But in a deeper sense you are quite right, even if a car is faultless, most people get ichy feet before the 10th anniversary
put it this way how
many of you now would be happy in a 1997 Ford Escort? Nobody probably it'd
rattle like crazy.

I owned a 1994 Escort saloon in 2004 and it wasnt a bad car, didnt rattle at all, but it had been looked after from new by solicitors wife, with FSH. One of the nicer cars Ive owned. Most of the cars ive owned in my life have been older than ten years.
Im only 5'5 and my misses is even shorter, so doubtful my kids will be any bigger than us. I just dont want a pokey citycar. I should also point out that I am keeping my Rover 420D for my misses to use ( ive spent a fortune on it )which can easily do most of the running kids around in.

A Zetec Focus is thirsty which is no use at all and from what I read, reliability is hardly set in stone with Fords, nor Vauxhalls for that matter. Its fine when your under warranty but I have to look beyond that.

Ive owned and driven some lovely cars in my short years and despite pertol running through my veins, I am an adult and I am a father whose finaincial responsibilities are far more important than having a car thats fun. Im not rich so its one or the other and since I already have one child and intend an other soon, the choice is already made.

Who on earth would suggest an Alfa as a long term ownership proposition? Thats just having a laugh.
Stu

Apologies for going off track and I don?t mean to be patronising so please, please don?t see it this way.

My serious and honest advice to you would be to do all you can to convince Granny that her 10k is better placed elsewhere than a car

You have a pair of fine vehicles as is, so put the £10k on deposit or into a FTSE100 index tracker, for the kid?s uni fund or something.

In your position spending £10k on a Miti i and thinking you will get 20 years out of it is folly imho

Good luck whatever you decide

Edited by nick1975 on 08/12/2007 at 00:03

Thats ok nick1975, no offense taken, im just suprised at the opposition to new cars here when quite often im reading about a lunatic spending £25k on an Audi A4 and it seems to be OK to do that, but not buy a new smaller car.

My nan has more money than she knows what to do with - she has just seen me spend £2000 having my Rover mechainically restored near enough, way beyond its value and she thinks that after a hit like that, I deserve to treat myself to something nice and shiny.
Ill still get my use outta the Rover, no question that ill drive it till it will go no more, just to get my quids back, but when I buy a new car, I treasure it and I enjoy the experience. As such, im being given a fair sum of money to treat myself, but there is a practical side of me that says use it for atleast a practical car if nothing else.
Truth be told, if it was just money to waste id buy a Fiat 500 diesel and enjoy, but im thinking further ahead than that.

I dont see why a well maintained Mitsubishi shouldnt last a long time, but its only one option of many. I will keep the car till it requires major surgery. As such, if its a slightly interesting car, that obviously helps with the boredom factor, but equally, the cars that I have always kept the longest were not the interesting ones ( Jag, Smart, Talbot ) but the ones that never let me down ( Daewoo, Volvo and Reliant ), that I could rely on, that I could just enjoy my drive in without worrying about what the oil/coolant smell is and whether it will get me where im going.
Long term new car purchase - ForumNeedsModerating
I don't think you'll get anything worthwhile for £10K (new) with your ownership requirements - it's unrealistic. The idea that used cars have all been, somehow, violated & are just waiting to disintegrate is rather skewed - most cars are at least 2nd hand for most of their life - if 'abuse' & mechanical corruption were so rife, Id doubt ther'd be a used car (or new car!) market at all. 1st-2nd year depreciation takes 35-40% of initial price - get the other guy to take that hit & sort out the teething troubles.

Do the sensible thing - get a Ford Focus, Skoda Octavia, mid-size Japanese/Korean of 2-3 years old for £6-8K ( & put the rest in a high interest account or buy some Bank shares - they're cheap at the moment & will provide a dividend income/capital growth)

A Zetec Focus is thirsty which is no use at all and from what I
read reliability is hardly set in stone with Fords nor Vauxhalls for that matter. Its
fine when your under warranty but I have to look beyond that.

Not many stats for the new Focus yet as its only just 3 years old but the 1998-2004 Focus is one of the most reliable cars on the second hand market and shames many 'reliable' marques in the process. I don't know where this strange idea about fuel economy you have comes from - sit down and do some maths and you'll realise the cost differential between various cars is less than you think.

And the cost saving of a diesel could well be wiped out by a turbocharger failiure or commonrail injector replacement bill at 6-10 years old.
Ive owned and driven some lovely cars in my short years and despite pertol running
through my veins I am an adult and I am a father whose finaincial responsibilities
are far more important than having a car thats fun. Im not rich so its
one or the other and since I already have one child and intend an other
soon the choice is already made.

You can have a car that is both a dependable family car, reliable, and also fun. Buying a car you enjoy is not simply a frivilous anti-family enjoyment - it will also help you feel better about owning it as the years pass. A Kia is the automotive equivilent of a dishwasher - it will bring you no pleasure whatsoever and you will after a few years not be anywhere near as satisfied as you were when it was new. However, many cars in this class can be genuinely fun to drive and will hold your interest far longer.

An example is the old Focus - ok you wont be buying one as its a tad old but they are genuinely fun to drive and enjoyable to own whilst also doing all the reliable dependable family stuff as well. I am not for one minute suggesting you buy a Lotus Elise or a Subaru Impreza Turbo.

And of course the longer you are interested in the car, the longer you'll get out of it.
Who on earth would suggest an Alfa as a long term ownership proposition? Thats just
having a laugh.

It was an example. Somebody suggested that new car purchases of something like a Kia are made with the heart. This is complete nonsense and I used the Alfa as an illustration. I'd also not recommend one.

Here is an oddball recommendation - how much is a new shape 54-55 plate Volvo V50 these days? That'd make an excellent enjoyable family car for a number of years. They even do a diesel version if you chose to continue to keep your head in the sand bucket with regards to economy.
One of the nicer cars Ive owned

A 1994 Escort? I'm sorry but even when brand new it was one of the most awful cars Ford have had the audacity to try and sell to the british public. The Focus could not come soon enough for Ford. Terrible things, Escorts.

Edited by MichaelR on 08/12/2007 at 00:20

Long term new car purchase - Blue {P}
A 1994 Escort? I'm sorry but even when brand new it was one of the
most awful cars Ford have had the audacity to try and sell to the british
public. The Focus could not come soon enough for Ford. Terrible things Escorts.

Tut! You've obviously never been pinned to the back of the seat screaming with the glee of a 13 year old who's just had his first taste of a genuine Cosworth. :-)

Relistically, for my two penneth, if you want a reliable AND fuel efficient diesel then surely you can't go past a Skoda with a PD engine? If you are planning to keep the car for as long as you say then I honestly don't think there are many diesels out there that make economic sense, the cost of one failure on a TDCi, or even dare I say it, a Volvo D5 unit would be ruinous and probably end up with you writing the car off!

Blue
Tut! You've obviously never been pinned to the back of the seat screaming with the
glee of a 13 year old who's just had his first taste of a genuine
Cosworth. :-)

Is that the genuine Cosworth that shared only the rear light cluster from a Cabrio with the Mk5 Escort, and was pretty much a re-shelled Sierra Cosworth? ;)
Is that the genuine Cosworth that shared only the rear light cluster from a Cabrio
with the Mk5 Escort and was pretty much a re-shelled Sierra Cosworth? ;)

My memory is pretty hazy to be fair, it was white, 3 door and N reg. It had a gloriously large spoiler that obstructed almost the whole rear windscreen, and the scenery started to blur in the manner of the startship Enterprise going to warp when the driver pressed the loud pedal, I couldn't concentrate on much else at that age!

Ah, the days before the fun police were in charge. :-)

Blue
>>I don't know where this strange
idea about fuel economy you have comes from - sit down and do some maths
and you'll realise the cost differential between various cars is less than you think.<<

Its not just economy itself but the lower CO2 output that generally comes with increased economy. I drive to Norwich in my Suzuki and its cost me £30 - I go in my Rover diesel and it costs £20 - I do this 4 times a month which saves me £40 - to you perhaps a small amount, to me, thats two weeks food shopping.
And the cost saving of a diesel could well be wiped out by a turbocharger
failiure or commonrail injector replacement bill at 6-10 years old.

My Rover is 11 years old and still has original turbo - I would expect a supposedly superior modern car to last atleast as long. Any car that has such cheap and nasty parts that dont last is what id like to avoid.
A Kia is the automotive equivilent of a dishwasher - it will bring you no pleasure whatsoever and you will after a few years not be anywhere near as satisfied as you

were when it was new. However many cars in this class can be genuinely fun to drive and will hold your interest far longer.<<

I owned a Daewoo Matiz which I totally adored - not everyones cup of tea granted, but I only sold it because I wanted an estate car for my business, otherwise I would have kept it as it was a fantastic car.
Here is an oddball recommendation - how much is a new shape 54-55 plate Volvo V50 these days? That'd make an excellent enjoyable family car for a number of years. They even do a diesel version if you chose to continue to keep your head

in the sand bucket with regards to economy.<<

Not a chance. Its hardly a cheap car to run is it? Parts prices? I love Volvos, I really do, but they are for people who can afford to run them, I am not one of them.
Its not just economy itself but the lower CO2 output that generally comes with increased
economy.

Why would you care about that? Honestly? It's meaningless. It doesnt matter.
I drive to Norwich in my Suzuki and its cost me £30 - I
go in my Rover diesel and it costs £20 - I do this 4 times
a month which saves me £40 - to you perhaps a small amount to me
thats two weeks food shopping.

You've got £10,000 and quibble over a tenner? If your Rover is delivering savings of 33% and your Suzuki is doing 43mpg this suggests almost 60mpg. From an indirect injection old school diesel engine? Surely not?
My Rover is 11 years old and still has original turbo - I would expect
a supposedly superior modern car to last atleast as long.

Then you need to do further homework. On a commonrail diesel, even supposed quality models, turbocharger and injection failiure are both common and expensive issues.

>>Any car that has such
cheap and nasty parts that dont last is what id like to avoid.

With respect, you wish to spend just £10k on a brand new turbodiesel. Frankly, you are at the cheap and nasty end of the market. These are about the cheapest cars you can buy with this sort of engine. Quality cars are more expensive. You want to avoid cheap and nasty, then you dont want to spend £10k on a brand new car.
Not a chance. Its hardly a cheap car to run is it?

How would you know? Have you checked? Have you looked into it? Of course not becuase if you had you'd know it's fundamentally a Ford Focus and platform shares with the Focus.
I
love Volvos I really do but they are for people who can afford to run
them I am not one of them.

We are talking Volvo here not Ferrari. A Volvo V50 is hardly an expensive car to run!
Long term new car purchase - daiking
Hmmm, I set out on a similar quest (my requirements were not quite so onerous) early last year, only took 4 months to decide atfer the gears dropped out of my 8 yr old ibiza - which warranty direct paid out for but that's another story.

New car, Budget - £12K, miles upto 15Kp.a., *plan* to keep for 8 years (wife said 8, I said 5)

I wanted a fabia vrs (1.9tdi) quick, fun, relaible and frugal but the wife veto'd for being too small - are you sure a supermini will be big enough for a growing family?

In the end I plumped for a mazda3 1.6 petrol because:

- Had the basics - air con, good stereo, alarm, alloy wheels
- C-segment car so plenty big enough
- petrol to avoid the dreaded HDi DPF or the PD cambelt moneyspinner
- cam chain not belt
- trim in low spec focii is horrid
- Mazda reputation for reliability

Economy is poor in my driving conditions but I doubt I would be getting 50+ in a diesel either. What with the 5yr DPF replacement cost and the extra initial outlay, it would have taken a long time to re-coup the extra outlay and I like petrol :-)

Apart from an insurance claim (my fault) and an occasionally notchy gear change, its been problem free in 16 months.
Like I said before, I have a Rover for the misses which will do majority of kiddie shifting, just really need something that can accomadate them on a longer journey when I want the reliability of a newer car, but im not going to buy a car for my childrens future needs for limo like space, they can lump it. Adequate is what they will get.

I do quite like the look of the new Mazda 2, its a sharp looking thing for sure, wish they did a diesel.

Its really my inexperience with modern diesels that I had to ask as so many problems seem to be cropping up with them and I dont know which ones are the safest bet.

"Somebody suggested that new car purchases of something like a Kia are made with the heart. This is complete nonsense"

Michael needs to understand that people can disagree and both be making a worthwhile point. The heart v. head argument is about new v. used, not necessarily what sort of car. It doesn't matter how sensible the buy-used advice is - Stu wants a new car and asks for help as to what to buy. It's a good discussion, helpful to others, if we can stick to answering his question - and disagreeing, when we do, with respect to each other.
The problem is, Avant, is that I am not entirely convinced that there is a new car on the market for £10k that can deliver what he wants. He wants a turbodiesel with a reasonable amount of space that is made from 'quality parts'.

But he has £10k to spend. I just can't see this being really that possible, I really can't. As such despite his insistence it must be new, this has to become a part of the discussion.
Fiesta TDCi? Good to drive, spacious enough for most uses, very tough, and will probably last as long as any other small car at this price range. Fun to drive too.

Blue
Fiesta TDCi? Good to drive spacious enough for most uses very tough and will probably
last as long as any other small car at this price range.

£12595 for a Fiesta 1.6 TDCi and thats before options. Discounts are available but £2600 saving? Unlikely I would think. Bit small as well.

See my point? You cant even buy a good Fiesta for this budget.
I think what is also important to remember with me as an individual - im the guy who works out his mpg for every tank of diesel - not the guy who times his route home from anywhere or takes any joy out of taking a bend in the road with any kind of speed - been there, done all that, lifes too short to drive on the doorhandles when you have kids who rely on you.

My joy is when I see a Renault broken down and I drive on in my Suzuki or when I work out that my Rover costs less than half as much to fuel as my mums car.
I like it when I only see the dealer once a year too. My heart is in being misery with money - this ten grand is to buy a car - its not a gift to do what I want with, but to help me with a specific problem - my grandmothers joy in life is to help her family and see her money work while she is still alive, she doesnt care one bit if its lost in depreciation.

As such, if she tells me to use the money to buy a new car, thats what ill do and if it falls below ten grand, ill raid the options/accesories list and use it up.

What is important are the running costs and reliability AFTER purchase which are the costs that I will shoulder - Im wary of modern CR diesels because they appear so fragile compared to the older ones.
Suzuki Swift diesel not made from quality parts then? What engine has it got? Who makes it?

Its my favoured choice at the moment followed by the Rio diesel.

I think a larger supermini is large enough for me.
The 1.3 litre diesel engine in the swift is sourced from Fiat.

Make of that what you will in terms of quality :)
I think a Fiesta TDCi for £10K should be easily acheiveable, I would suspect that Stu would be more interested in the 1.4 model for a start. Dealer incentives are normally in the region of £2,500 for Ford, although it does depend from quarter to quarter and on specific model of course.

Stu - On the subject of Common Rail, I've been doing a lot of digging recently when considering a possible car for next year, and I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that every car in your price range has some sort of inherent weak spot, TDCi is injectors, PD is cambelt (I'd forgotten about that), Volvo is injectors, BMW is manifold. Whatever you buy, you are more likely to suffer an expensive failure at some point during 20 years than you are if you buy an equivalent petrol. However, if you think that you will save enough money to make it worthwhile then that will negate the cost of the failure if and when it occurs. Just buy it and enjoy it! :-)

Blue
Right. I have a suggestion. Don't laugh, and hear me out please.

Why don't you get something that if it goes wrong, it'll be cheap to fix. Something with plenty of space. But something thats reasonably fun, looks pretty funky, and will hold your interest.

Why dont you consider... a Fiat Panda 100HP. You can get them from £8500 giving you £1500 to raid the options list and pick some cool stuff.

1.4 16v petrol engine, so not uneconomical. Ok, its a Fiat, so you may find bits fall off every so often but they should not cost much to stick back on again. And no expensive injectors or turbochargers to worry about.

Or a Fiesta but not the TDCi - the 1.25 is a great Yamaha designed engine.
Or a Fiesta but not the TDCi - the 1.25 is a great Yamaha designed
engine.

Indeed it is, but it won't be economical enough for Stu, i speak from experience, I never got more than 35mpg but then i did "drive it on the door handles" ;-)

Blue
Oh come on, if I can eek 39.7mpg from a 3.0 24v Inline Six I'm sure he can manage excellent economy from a 1.25 petrol!
Oh come on if I can eek 39.7mpg from a 3.0 24v Inline Six I'm
sure he can manage excellent economy from a 1.25 petrol!

Yeah, but that's on a motorway at 56.66666 mph I've no doubt, I only ever managed about 40mpg on the motorway as I had to rev it's little breasts off.

Blue
Yeah but that's on a motorway at 56.66666 mph I've no doubt I only ever
managed about 40mpg on the motorway as I had to rev it's little breasts off.

It was actually from Exeter to York at a GPS verified 70mph the whole way, save for some slow traffic on the M42.

Now, I wonder which driving style is closest to that of the OP, yours or mine ;)
Actually don't Fiat do a pretty good 1.3 diesel in the Panda?

Blue
Actually don't Fiat do a pretty good 1.3 diesel in the Panda?

Yes - its the same engine as the one in the Swift. My concern for it would be longevity. Is it really going to last 15 years without major expense?
Dunno but I bet it gets *lots* more MPG under all circumstances than the 1.4 16v.

Anyway, I'm off to bed now, I need to get up in the morning that little bit earlier, my mate has texted me to advise that she can't take me to pick up my rent-a-banger, looks like I may have to don some gloves and travel by... Metro. Spit. I've tried so hard to avoid it too, I always feel like a failure when I resort to things like this.

Blue
Long term new car purchase - Altea Ego
Stu

you are putting too many conditions on your purchase. Makes it too hard to choose.

15- 20 years? No small £10k car on the market today is going to last 15 years ( at 15k a year this is 225k miles) Sorry mate aint gonna happen without major surgery.

Diesel? with diesel currently running 6 p litre above petrol, 15k a year is not enought to make a diesel significantly cheaper to run.

Life changes, In 10 years anything could have happened.

So take your 10 grand, buy any car you like at that price with a veiw to what its going to cost you over the next 5-7 years or 100k miles

------
< Ulla>
Long term new car purchase - Ed V
Technology [energy-efficiency as much as anything] will change so fast that combustion engines may well be as rare as smokers in 10 years, and could well be banned, so I certainly wouldn't buy with long term ownership in mind.

If you drove a 20 year old car today you may find yourself preferring one designed last week.
Stu, if you really, really, want to keep a car for 15 or 20 years, you need to think about Irv Gordon.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=34

His first rule was "start with a car you like." He did, and his Volvo is now 40 years old and has done 2,600,000 miles. For him, buying a car he liked meant going above his budget - he borrowed to buy. 40 years on, he still loves his car, and has no interest in changing it.

So my advice is: take your time, look at everything in your price bracket, and even at cars a little above your price bracket. Choose something you really like. And just hope some idiot doesn't run into it.
Long term new car purchase - Alby Back
Land Rover Defender ? Not that you'd get a new one but it'll still do the 20 years and more.

I saw my old 1982 "90" parked up the other day. Looked fairly much as I remember it when I sold it in '94. They sort of reach a level of scruffiness and then just stay there. ( bit like me really ! )
Long term new car purchase - Big Bad Dave
The thought of driving the same car today that I was driving in 1987 fills me with horror. No airbags, no cd, no cruise, no aircon, no auto lights, auto wipers, leccy seats, heated seats, memory seats, memory mirrors, trip computer, crumple zones.

Why miss out on all the innovations of the next 20 years? Dreadful idea if you ask me. Like an automotive prison sentence.

Might work if the car you start off with is a top of the range Jag, BMW, Audi, Lexus but your budget is about 60k short.
Long term new car purchase - hxj

I'd get a new Corsa.

After £1k off from the GM Card the 1.4 Design that caught SWMBO's eye cost less £10k new. It's easily big enough for 4 adults, nippy around town and crusies on motorways well and is IMHO a far better drive than the Jazz,Yaris and Aygos that I've driven recently.

Build quality is good, cheap to insure and should be cheap and easy to maintain. At that mileage can't see the point of a diesel.

I'd get a new Corsa.
At that mileage can't see the point of a diesel...

... but if you want diesel, the 1.3 diesel with 5 doors comes in at about £9500 at drivethedeal.

Yaris 5 door diesel comes in at £10,114. The back seat in the Yaris slides back and forth, which makes it potentially quite roomy in the back.
Long term new car purchase - rtj70
Apologies for skimming through the thread. But if:

1. It has to be a diesel
2. It has to have a long warranty in order
3. You are keeping for maybe 15 years so depreciation not quite so relevant
4. It has to be new
5. the badge unimportant

Then if you could get a deal on a Kia C'eed you'd have 7 years or 100,000 miles warranty and quite a decent car. Ttrouble is the OTR price is more like £13k.

I wonder how long any of the common rail injection systems from any manufacturer will last even when properly fuelled and maintained though...
Long term new car purchase - oilrag
Stu, That 1.3 fiat diesel in the Suzuki, Corsa,Panda, Doblo, won the engine of the year a couple of years ago beating all the so called`quality`competition.

Over 150,000 miles there are only filters and oil to change on the engine, no cambelt its chain.

I think a Fiat doblo with the 1.3 multijet would meet your needs and can be bought under £10,000.

The 1.3 multijet is slower than the bigger (cambelted) diesels on the Doblo, but is a little more economical and you have that great peace of mind of no cambelt.

I have a Punto van with the 1.3 Multijet and can recommend the engine. I can get 78mpg between Leeds and the East coast at just under 60MPH. Typically I get around 67mpg ignoring driving for economy.

Alternatively,I bet you could get that in a 1.3 Multijet Panda as the vehicles are similar weight. (£6,300 web dealer) if economy is paramount

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 08/12/2007 at 12:34

Stu That 1.3 fiat diesel in the Suzuki Corsa Panda Doblo won the engine of
the year a couple of years ago beating all the so called`quality`competition.

XXX of the year has nothing to do with quality and longevity as the numerous Car of the Year victories for junk like the Fiat Brava should tell you.
Long term new car purchase - Marc
Save up an extra £2495 and buy a new Subaru Impreza 1.5R - that should make a good, if slow, long term proposition.

If it has to be diesel you should be looking for something low tech IMO
I think at the moment the Suzuki is still the favorite as it is mildly interesting but also my local dealer is superb and I always enjoy the customer experience with them as did my sister when she bought her car from them.

I think it is sad that modern diesels seem to have lost their durability as it was one of the reasons people always chose them when I was a kid. I do hear what many of you are saying about the lifespan of CR's, its why I wanted to ask the question really as id heard the odd thing about VAG diesels and TDCI's but as Im not an owner, ive never really read the horror stories.
When I say id like to keep it for 15 years, what I really mean is to keep it indefinatly, but id expect it to last ten years absolute minimum without any major failures, which is why its so important to buy from a maker known for reliability beyond the warranty period.

I am thinking that a slightly less economical petrol may perhaps be a better option for longevity although id still expect mid 50's mpg.

Nobody has mentioned the Daihatsu Sirion which seems to get reasonable reviews? Is it a lil boring for the BR?

I was thinking today and please dont shoot me, but what was the last of the line Corolla like in diesel form? A customer of mine has a petrol 3dr with all the toys and I think it is a fabulously nice car. Id only consider a used car if it was near-on bullit proof reliability record.
Long term new car purchase - GroovyMucker
We're about to replace a 1998 Corolla. It's done a bit more than 80,000 miles, and it's not had a hard life, but it still feels almost as good as when we bought it new.

Auris?
If you'd have said Alfa, fair enough........................... it's fair enough if you want 15 years of repair bills and breakdowns.
Youv'e ben listening to Clarkson too much - all that carp about cars having soul and personality - get a grip !

Unfortunatley I can't share groovy's enthusiasm for the Auris or Corolla - we have one and it has more rattles than my daughters toy chest.
My brother works on the line in Burnaston and to his credit he is passionate about what he does - but even he gets a tad embarrassed when he is out in our Corolla. He got in the back the other day and handed me another peice of trim that fell off.

To be fair stu - I think your going to have to compromise in some area with your requirments or wait for a Jazz diesel.
I guess costs are the most important, which encompasses reliability aswell.
Then adequate space.
Thanks for the heads-up on the Corolla! What a shame given how solid the earlier ones were.
One additional point on the Corolla - my one is a Japanese built model (53) and not a Burnaston - I personally would avoid them but if you do go down that route you will clearly test drive before - but this site does contain alot of references to rattly Toyota's from different owners.
I am getting repatative but I did get the opportunity to drive my accord, a Civic and a Jazz in the same day and the thing that I observed was the consistencey of how all the cars felt very well engineered - all the controls on all of them had the well oiled precision that Honda have become know for. I thought at the time that they all had that 'last for a lifetime' feel about them.
I appreciate I do challenge the VW owners a little too much in my posts but when I drive my FiL's Passat the controls and gearchange etc all feel loose, sloppy and very noisey in comaprison to the Accord.
Long term new car purchase - Aprilia
This topic certainly seems to have generated some interest!

The problem with any 'modern' Diesel is the number of components and their complexity. Its not just the high-pressure CR system (which cannot be worked on DIY, and not by most garages) its also the turbo and the dual-mass flywheel.
Turbo's have got a lot more complicated - they are no longer simple wastegate affairs, but are now mosly variable-geometry (e.g. VNT) types. So even if the turbo bearings etc last the course, there is the prospect of a problem with the vanes sooting up and sticking or some problem with the control system.
Dual mass flywheel is another pain the backside.

IMHO a CR Diesel makes good sense if you are cruising the A-roads and motorways all day, doing 25k+ per year for 3-4 years. Most of the components will stay sweet and you'll make good savings vs a petrol engine.
The case is much less clear cut if you want a family hack doing average miles. Short journeys in urban/suburban driving will take their toll on the mechanicals, especially parts like the DMF, and the fuel saving at more modest mileages makes the economics less compelling.
Depreciation is another problem in that at 8+ years old any significant repair (CR injector replacement, recon turbo, clutch/DMF change) is likely to be 50%+ of the value of the car. It then becomes hard to justify fixing the thing and you'll be tempted to bail out.

Personally I wouldn't go for a Diesel. A petrol is much simpler and more repairable in its old age. Most backstreet garages will be able to fix a petrol car and you can DIY if so inclined.

Further back the Subaru Impreza wagon was mentioned. Not a bad idea. There were 1.5R's kicking around discounted to £10k a few months back - full list was only £12.5k.
Better still you might be able to find a 2.0R or RX wagon as a pre-reg or ex-demo. These are tough cars - popular with the Aussies and rural Americans because they can take a lot of hard use. The chassis and drivetrain is very strong and reliable (eseentailly the same as that used in the turbo models - so well under-stressed). About the only thing that is known to fail is the rear wheel bearings. The motors tend to go on and on as well (I think on the US website they quote the fact that some enormous percentage of Subaru's sold in the US over the last 20 years are still on the road..). Servicing and repair work is actually pretty straightforward and any decent independent can do the work.
Fuel economy is not brilliant, but you should easily break the 30mpg barrier on mixed driving with the latest 2.0's, probably 35-38mpg in rural driving.
I do like the Subaru idea BUT the economy is even worse than my van and I find that expensive.

Is there a new Justy in the pipeline?

I think I need something that can get atleast 45-50 mpg really, pref a tad more.

Id like something with the Subaru's engineering just not the running costs as I genuinely cannot afford 35 mpg on a regular basis as Im used to in excess of 50 from my Rover which is just about affordable.

I am certainly going off the idea of a diesel right now and hoping that there are some frugal petrols that will offer lower overall costs. Only problem is I do like torque bias engines which was why I was drawn to diesels.
Long term new car purchase - smokescreen
Surely, the other options with repair costs included will cost more per mile after repairs than say a subaru?
Justy is made for Subaru by Suzuki.

To be honest I can't think of anything that fully meets your requirements.

If you must go the Diesel route than a VAG PD is probably the best long-term proposition.
I was just reading about it, looks like a good option and I will pop into my Subaru dealer tomorrow, see if they have one in.
Long term new car purchase - Nsar
Be aware of Subaru parts costs though I have just paid £287.96 + VAT for the mid section of a Legacy exhuast, not inc labour.

That is the only unexpected cost I've had in two years and 36k miles with my Legacy and it was my own silly fault for damaging it in the first place.

Be aware of Subaru parts costs though I have just paid £287.96 + VAT for
the mid section of a Legacy exhuast not inc labour.

Yes, parts are not cheap, although they do tend to reduce prices for the older vehicles. TBH though I don't think it would have been much cheaper for any other car of similar size, not for an OE part, anyway. Honda and Toyota parts are particularly expensive and Mitsubishi parts can be pretty shocking.
On many cars now it can be cheaper to have a custom stainless steel system made up than buy the OE exhaust part.
The OE parts on most Jap cars last a long time and so it can be quite a few years before the afterpart companies take an interest in supplying...
Long term new car purchase - nick
The OE parts on most Jap cars last a long time and so it can
be quite a few years before the afterpart companies take an interest in supplying...

This is true. When I sold my last legacy at 6 years old and 135k miles the original back box outer skin was just beginning to go. I had asked around but no pattern parts existed. IIRC the Subaru part was around £120. Still, if it lasts 6 years it's probably cheaper in the long run than a fastfit box that lasts one month longer than the guarantee.
>>
This is true. When I sold my last legacy at 6 years old and 135k
miles the original back box outer skin was just beginning to go. I had asked
around but no pattern parts existed. IIRC the Subaru part was around £120.

I have seen Subaru's at 10 years with the original system. Recently did a bit of work on a 1995 Mitsi FTO and it still had the original system - not in bad shape either! The owner could hear a rattle and thought the cat was breaking up - but I found a nut was missing off the heat shield - put a new one on all quiet again!

A Legacy back box at £120 for OE is not too bad actually. Its a fairly substantial item and would probably cost 2/3 that for a poorer quality fast-fit part......if you could get one.
Long term new car purchase - henry k
and I was quoted, in writing, and had it verbally quoted ( with a straight face) £845 for a 2000 1.3 Yaris CDX exhaust system.
I did manage to keep a straight face when told ;-)
Long term new car purchase - oldtoffee
>>It must be big enough to cope with family life at a stretch ( 2 kids ).

A Subaru Justy?

Not just the car seats Stu, the buggy, the cot, factor in packing the full set of paraphernalia options included with kids.... No chance. I reckon the minimum to preserve sanity is Focus, Astra size, anything smaller and your kids will be kicking the back of your seat on every journey from day one. BTW re your comment about not expecting your kids to be much bigger than you - my dad is 5'7" my mum 5'5" and I'm 6'1" same as my bro and my sis is 5'9".
Long term new car purchase - mss1tw
Personally I'd stick with what I know. Call it £8000 to take away the costs of the Rover overhaul, and spend that on fuel, insurance, servicing MoT's and tax for both vehicles.

Maybe set aside some for any repair work needed.

My ex gf had two children, buggy, child seats and three bags of 'stuff' fit in her Ford Ka, so in a larger car, Im sure id manage.

This car wont be used primarily as family transport, just for long journeys over an hour where the Rovers age makes it hard to trust, maybe once of twice a month.

Honestly, I really dont want something as big as a Focus and the kids wont get any sweets if they kick daddys seat.

I only earn £800 a month so those little savings by not running a bigger car do make a difference to me, I know they seem small to those who earn much more, but from my perspective, every penny counts.
Is the Justy galvanised though?

That was one of my own pre-requisites for long term ownership (very similar aims as you) also hydraulic tappets and no cambelt.

I also wanted access to lots of parts in scrapyards as the years went by, so a `popular` model too.

Regards
Stu - if on reflection you'd consider an economical petrol (and at 15,000 miles pa I think it's worth considering) the Jazz comes back into contention, as does the Swift 1.5 GLX, which is probably better to drive than the 1.3 diesel.

The Jazz has more room for people, buggies etc, and you should be able to get a 1.4 SE discounted to £10k. The 1.4 is well worth having over the 1.2. There is a revised model due next year but I'm not sure when.
Doesn`t the Jazz expensively need the inlet manifold taken off every 24,000 miles though to adjust the tappets? and 8 new plugs at the same time.

Re thinking it, with Ford KA`s going at £4,995, you could buy two ;)
Long term new car purchase - daveyjp
There are lots of posts here but what seems to have been missed is interior quality. At a modest 10,000 a year over 20 years that's 200,000 miles. People have mentioned the Focus - my Mk1 driver's seat was dead after 50,000 miles.

Cheaper cars are cheap for a reason - they aren't top quality and interiors are skimped. My dad has always has Fiesta diesels to teach. Once they reach 100,000 miles (3 years) he has to get rid as the interior is starting to show it's age, in particular the seats which start to lose their comfort.

Once you factor in children it doesn't bear thinking about how quickly the interior will show it's age. My 7 month old Audi already has slight stains to the back seats and scuffs to the back of the passenger seat thanks to one 20 month old!

Apologies in advance if someone has already mentioned this, it is now quite a long thread and my memory isn't what it was !

Joking aside.......

How about a new Fiat 500 ? Should be fun to drive, economical to run and by all accounts stands every chance of becoming a collectors item and should therefore do quite well on the depreciation front. Not sure when available or how much they are but should be within budget ?
Long term new car purchase - daveyjp
If children are to be part of the equation forget anything with fewer than four doors.
4 dr Panda?

Edited by oilrag on 08/12/2007 at 20:37

Long term new car purchase - bazza
Stu
If you must have a diesel, Motorpoint's doing nearly new Octavia 1.9 Tdi hatches for 9.5K I don't think you'll get a much better deal than that plus a car that more or less ticks all the boxes. Looked after, I'd expect several years decent motoring out of it, then you can sell on to the taxi boys!
Long term new car purchase - henry k
>>At a modest 10,000 a year over 20 years that's 200,000 miles. People have mentioned the Focus - my Mk1 driver's seat was dead after 50,000 miles.
>>
My son's V reg Focus Ghia leather seats at 60K+ miles are still as new.
My dad has always has Fiesta diesels to teach. Once they reach 100 000
miles (3 years) he has to get rid as the interior is starting to show
it's age in particular the seats which start to lose their comfort.

If your dad is a driving instructor and the seats are only starting to 'lose their comfort' after 3 years/100k miles then they must be pretty damn good! 3 years of that sort of use must be terribly hard on the seats - that's a lot of hours of sitting.

IME Mercedes seat bases start to sag badly around 100k (depends on the weight of the driver of course), but I know a car upholsterer who rebuilds the bases for me for around £50. Makes a big difference. Paying more doesn't always mean you get better.
The 'soft feel' trim coating on VW's is notorious for peeling away, even within the 3 years warranty, and they don't cover it!
Long term new car purchase - Manatee
fiatsupasaver.com will sell you a Doblo 1.9 Multijet 105 Dynamic with air con for well under £10k. If I wanted an economical utility car with room for children and associated paraphernalia that's probably where my money would go.
Stu - Your story has obviously struck a chord with a lot of people judging by the number of responses ! There is much good advice in this thread and I am sure it must have helped you to firm up your thoughts.

Now.....what I am about to say is in severe danger of being seen as patronizing and overstepping the mark. Please believe me when I say that this is absolutely not my intention. It is just that your circumstances sort of remind me of a similar situation from my distant past. A young man caught in the trap of trying to do his best for himself and his family with insufficient funds for his needs. Please accept my apology in advance if I cause any offence.

It occurs to me that your Grandmother thinks highly of you and clearly wants to help by giving you the gift of £10000 to buy a car. You have been very open and I think you stated earlier in the thread that you are currently earning £800 per Month ?

Had you thought of looking at this in a more radical way ? Suppose for a moment you ( with Granny's blessing of course ) decided to use the £10k to fund your household for a year while using the time to gain extra training in your chosen field ? If you could get a suitable qualification which increased your value in the employment market, then maybe this gift would have provided far more than a transport solution. It might just provide a life solution ?

As I said, this is none of my business and I should not be so presumptious as to make this suggestion but ....well sorry again !

You never know though, if something like this could be worked out, you might be asking the Backroomers in a couple of years for their advice on whether to go for the mileage allowance or to take the company car !

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Long term new car purchase - jbif
you stated earlier in the thread that you are currently earning £800 per Month ?

That works out at £200 per week, for a 4 week month; £40 a day for a 5 day week, £5 per hour for a 8 hour day. In other words, minimum wage labour rates in a fast food shop. Stu's command of language and grammar indicates that he is far above that league, and is probably capable of earning a lot more if given the opportunity.

If the £800 a month figure quoted is what Stu earns from his car-valet business, I wonder whether he is quoting his turnover or the gross after deducting his business expenses? I support shoespy's suggestion that a little bit of lateral thinking may not go amiss to benefit Stu and his family in the long term. Apologies, for taking the thread off tangent, but shoespy's suggestion may turn out to be the best piece of advice so far for Stu.

Yes, I have to agree. £800/month is a desperate income to try and raise a family on. I should also think job security is pretty fragile since many min.wage jobs in my part of the world have been taken over by East Europeans now.
I would get yourself down to the local FE college and sign up for a course in electrical, plumbing, construction - even motor vehicle! You sound like you're young enough to make a 'career change'.....
Long term new car purchase - El Hacko
trying to think sideways here, Stuno - to keep your terrific Gran happy...
accept the £10k, tell her you're looking around, meantime put the money in Premium Bonds (assuming you haven't already got more than £20k's worth) and enjoy the possibility (yes, remote!) of a win, say, for 2-3 months while you hunt and think.

EH
Sound advice.
My other thought would be to use the money to pay off debt. Things are going to get pretty tight in the next few months.
we grandparents can be quite eccentric - if Gran, bless her, has in mind that her splendid boy shld have a "new" car, then best not risk displeasing her in this instance, perhaps.
Long term new car purchase - drbe
>>put the money in Premium Bonds
(assuming you haven't already got more than £20k's worth)>>

The limit for an individual is £30k
quite, DRBE, so 20 add 10 makes the max