Automotive new order - suggestions - Alby Back
If the Backroomers were in charge of updating the Highway Code what extra rule/s would they include ?

Mine would be -

Upon completion of re-fuelling, immediately move the vehicle to a designated parking space at the filling station prior to going to pay.

If it is patently obvious that the vehicle in front of you is about to parallel park, do not drive up to their back bumper and prevent them from doing so.

Having a Taxi / mini cab does not automatically confer the right to sit on double yellow lines completely blocking the highway while you wait for a pre-booked fare or collect the money from the one you have just had.
Automotive new order - suggestions - MichaelR
I would make it an endorsable offence to drive, or cause or permit someone else to drive, a Vauxhall Corsa on a public road.
Automotive new order - suggestions - fordprefect
Having a Taxi / mini cab does not automatically confer the right to sit on
double yellow lines completely blocking the highway while you wait for a pre-booked fare or
collect the money from the one you have just had.

Today I was appalled to see that the cause of a tailback of 4 cars was a driving school car stopped on double yellow lines, at the crest of a hill, 5 yards from a road junction, on a narrow bus route.
Engine running, instructor wittering to pupil. He is probably one of those who train them to use dipped headlamps in bright sunshine and foglamps as well whenever it is just a little bit cloudy.

If they can find £20 billion at the drop of a hat to bail out Northern Rock, they can afford to put traffic patrols back on the road to deal with idiots. (And maintain the roads properly too). Rant over. :-)

Automotive new order - suggestions - Big Bad Dave
6 points and £1000 fine for girls who line the dashboard with teddies, gonks and garfields.
Automotive new order - suggestions - cheddar
Life (min 20 years) for straightlining roundabouts.

Automotive new order - suggestions - Ed V
£25 fine for holding the middle lane unnecessarily.
Automotive new order - suggestions - Pugugly {P}
How about an all encompassing offence of "Mimsing" and keeping your foot on the brakes whilst a Traffic lights.
Automotive new order - suggestions - local yokel
> How about an all encompassing offence of "Mimsing"

Indeed, a general catch-all offence - in the Army it was a Section 69, "contrary to good order and discipline" - very useful, sometimes....
Automotive new order - suggestions - cheddar
Raise min driving age to 18

Mandatory eye tests every two years

Mandatory drving tests at 70 years of age

Complete reversal of snap-shot in time speed focused enforcement with emphasis moved to joint objcetives of congestion reduction and collision avoidance which are nicely complimentary
Automotive new order - suggestions - stunorthants26
Stop all cars on foreign plates, check for roadworthiness and license/insurance for driver. Crush car if cannot produce/pass test.
Automotive new order - suggestions - tyro
You want more rules?

... though I did quite like Robin Reliant's suggestion in the second part of this post: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=42...0
Automotive new order - suggestions - Alby Back
Actually Tyro , you are quite right, too many rules spoil things, maybe I should have also asked which of the current rules could be deleted as a sort of "yin / yang" thing !

Have to say tho' I do like the thinking behind the "culling" of caravanists idea !

Maybe we could also include the public execution of "TWOC" criminals on the news, just a couple per night but it should do the trick in getting the "just don't" message across ! :-)
Automotive new order - suggestions - T Lucas
Oi! I run a car on foreign plates,and its all very nice thank you.
Automotive new order - suggestions - Martin Devon
Indeed a general catch-all offence - in the Army it was a Section 69 "contrary
to good order and discipline" - very useful sometimes....

Nothing wrong with a section 69.

VBR.......MD.
Automotive new order - suggestions - Avant
Maybe no more rules, but whatever it takes to encourage people to leave more distance between themselves and the person in front, especially on motorways.

More accidents are caused by excessive braking than excessive acceleration, I'm sure of it.
Automotive new order - suggestions - Garethj
No point in any more rules, the ones we've got aren't enforced anyway.

I vote we enforce what we've got and see where we are from there, or have no rules at all and we all look through the tank section of ebay for our next vehicle
Automotive new order - suggestions - boxsterboy
The driver of any car with illegal number plates - font, letter spacing, screw/bolt position, etc. - to be castrated on the spot.
Automotive new order - suggestions - Martin Devon
The driver of any car with illegal number plates - font letter spacing screw/bolt position
etc. - to be castrated on the spot.

That's why I keep two bricks in the boot!

vbr.......md
Automotive new order - suggestions - P.Mason {P}
'That's why I keep two bricks in the boot!'

I think that the origin of the 'two bricks' allusion is the joke about the two British tourists in Egypt.-They stopped their Mercedes taxi(motoring link..)and enquired why a native gentleman was standing between the rear legs of a camel, holding two bricks. 'I.m castrating the camel' he replied. 'Doesn't that hurt terribly?' asked the woman tourist'.
'Only if you catch your thumbs between the bricks' he replied..
Boom boom!

P.