1994 1.3 Auto - Starting Problem - ddd
Any advice on dealing with this problem would be very welcome.
1. At start up each morning the engine gives off a large amount of exhaust fumes- its not just clearing condensation but is a lot of unburnt fuel.After a minute this clears. The engine then runs smoothly though there is a fairly sharpp jeky respose to the accelerator.
2. The main problem is after this initial running of the engine restarting is difficult and the engine has to be rested for a few minutes after each firing up to get it to restart. No accelerator is used so it is not normal flooding.The restarting problem repeats throughout the day.
3. The car had a full service 2 months ago and once restarted runs normally with good pulling power.There is a good spark.
4. The AA mechanic thought it might be a sticking fuel injector, I've added 2 lots of fuel cleaner to the tank at inervals over the last 5-6 weeks witout seeing any improvement in restarting,
Model: Ford Fiesta LX Equip Auto 1299cc 1994
Grateful for any advice.

ddd

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/12/2007 at 18:39

FORD FIESTA STARTING PROBLEM - Screwloose
ddd

What colour are the "exhaust fumes?" Does it use coolant?

When it fails to restart hot; can you smell petrol? Try starting it [hot] with the throttle held hard down BEFORE turning on the ignition. [The "clear flood" program.]

There a very good chance that a code-read would show a coolant temp or throttle sensor fault.
FORD FIESTA STARTING PROBLEM - ddd
Thanks for the reply.
The exhaust fumes are white but with a blue tint and strong smell of fuel which last for about 30 seconds on initial startup.
I am using antifreeze if this is what you mean by coolant
I have not noticed any smell when restarting hot.
I tried your tip of holding throttle down BEFORE turning on ignition but it still failed to start--the only thing I could then do was to let engine rest for 2 or 3 minutes when it did start.
ddd
FORD FIESTA STARTING PROBLEM - Screwloose
ddd

Excess fuel smoke is black. White normally indicates burning anti-freeze.

Getting the throttle position and all the other readings checked is the next move.
FORD FIESTA STARTING PROBLEM - ddd
Thanks again,will do.
ddd