Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - NatD
Hi All.

Am looking to buy a new car in the New Year, and am trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of buying a Diesel instead of a Petrol Car.

I am looking at the Honda CR-V range, but it might help all if we kept the discussion as general as possible????

I will probably be doing between 10-15,000 miles a year, and I want to keep the car for 4 years (at least).

The difference in cost in my car for Diesel over Petrol is about £2k, and I was just wondering what sort of payback I would look at (mileage / time)!

All comments welcome.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Alby Back
Hi Nat - A subject close to my heart ! I have filled the back of countless envelopes with calculations and guesstimates on this.

For an opinion, I would say on your, average-ish, mileage that the purely financial differences are marginal. What you would save on fuel cost may well be offset by the higher purchase price of a diesel model. However, if you foresee keeping the car for a very long time, its eventual residual value may be better if you choose a diesel.

My advice would be to test drive both the petrol and diesel models of your chosen car and decide which you prefer to drive. As I said, cost-wise, I would not evisage a great deal of difference at your level of usage. It is my opinion that the "magic" number where diesel is indisputably the better choice is around 30000 miles a year or more.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - RichardW
This has been done more times than is sensible.

Question: Which do you want? Decide, and buy it.

Motoring costs a bag load of cash either way, and unless you are covering > 20k you can probably show that it is not 'worth' forking out the extra for the diesel. However, that's often based on assuming that the diesel will be worth no more than petrol come trade in time (unlikely) and that it costs more to service the diesel (possible, but you'd need to check with the dealer).

If you like effortless low range grunt and infrequent trips to the fuel station (and are not put off by a small amount of possible NVH at low speed / cold starts), buy the diesel. If you prefer to rev the nuts off the engine to get anywhere, yet near silent cold starts, buy the petrol. It's worth remembering too that a 100 BHP diesel will 'perform' better in everyday normal driving than a 100 BHP petrol - so make sure your £2k is comparing like for like.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - madf
With regard to future costs:
1. The Government is deperately short of cash. Assume RFT rises at least 10% pa for 3 years.
2. Oil prices in the long term are going up. By 2011 petrol and diesel could be £1.50 per litre or more - oil prices and 1 above.
3. CO2 is going to be a BIGGER issue over the years. Despite the climate change sceptics, even the US will have no choice but to do something. Avoid bigger cars.
madf
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Bilboman
I've been a company car diesel driver for 7 years and I hate being landed with a petrol engine on occasional short term hires. I agree with other postings here - diesel is a long term investment and the special driving and running characteristics make it more of a "lifestyle" decision. I also think that consciously buying a new car which will take far longer to reach the scrapheap and make far lower demands on energy resources in that time is a positive move.
Diesel engines are getting lighter and quieter and cleaner all the time. I value the torque and flexibility (less gear changing, less stress and lower blood pressure for the driver) and outstanding economy. I've followed HJ's advice on running-in and daily driving and my car has started first time, every time, and I've never managed to stall it and never had to top up the oil between services.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - barchettaman
SUV-type vehicles are generally a better bet with diesel power, both for the driving ´experience´and for resale value/ease of selling on.

Try both engines and see which you prefer.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - nick
>>Avoid bigger cars

Or buy one now and enjoy it while you can. ;-)
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Greg R
The big fuel pump and servicing issue should be mentioned.

In the end, any car costs a lot to run...I am of the opinion of petrol being a better buy...but a good diesel with a reliable pump is also a worthwhile choice. This has been discussed before, and recall denso pumps were the most reliable - otherwise cost £1000+ to replace!

Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - daveyjp
Buy the one which you feel most comfortable with. I have a diesel and it looks like my mileage will be around 15,000 miles this year. If I filled lots of envelope backs with calculations the diesel would probably make no financial sense whatsover!

0-60 in just over 7 seconds, plenty of grunt to get from 30-60, 50-70 etc quickly, but also 35+ mpg round town, 50 on a run and 500+ miles on a tank means the opportunity cost of a diesel is worth it to me.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - nortones2
Most commentators on the cost leave depreciation, the largest cost, out of the calculation. If the car chosen has a 5-10 % better return on sale at 3 years, it makes quite a difference. It could go either way, but I'd bet a diesel Honda would return more than 5% better at 3 years than the petrol.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - local yokel
I do about 10k/year, but never in rush hour traffic. It's either Dad's taxi work, or it's brisk runs to seaside/kids uni etc. A diesel 405 is my choice.

All the parts I need in the factors/breakers, 40-47mpg, room for dogs and surfboards, and they all come with a towbar, it seems. Not exactly luxury motoring, but for someone who started driving in an A40, it's OK. I'm certain that the diesel pays me back in year one, given the high number of sub 5 mile trips, and I like the power delivery of the engine, and the handling.

Please explain what depreciation is though - at £500 to buy it's not I concept I've yet to have to live with.....
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Red Baron
Work it out. Petrol at 35mpg vs diesel at 50mpg. It will take you about 4 years at 15k miles to recoup the extra cost of the diesel.

I went through these thoughts just recently. I bought a 1.6 petrol (120bhp) rather than a dearer 1.9 (115bhp) diesel. I do about 15k miles per year in the car.

Unless you intend to tow then it really isn't worth it.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - OldSkoOL
It doesn't always have to be about how many years it would take to recoup the costs.

Modern diesels perform much better in the real world to their petrol equivalents and can be a much more capable and easier drive.

The extra cost doesn't bother me its been paid for and forgotten about now, i never think long term as my financial situation may change. So if you can afford it why not.

I never bought diesel cars but i bought 2 this year and i only do moderate millage. Before my car did 300 miles a tank and 22mpg. Now i have a powerful diesel and its as quick and does 40-45mpg and nearly 500 miles to a tank!

Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - b308
Agree with many others, go with what you feel most comfortable with - and ignore the scare stories about diesel ills, if they were true the way some petrolheads go on it'd have made the headlines in the gutter press, and it hasn't, end of......
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - AlanGowdy
I require a car to have reasonably strong performance, especially for overtaking, and unstressed high-speed cruising at the same time as never giving worse than 40 mpg, so my choice has for several years now been limited to a diesel engine. However, I note that the latest generation of petrol engines are much improved in these areas so am watching future developments with interest.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Roly93
I have been a diesel driver for 5 years now, and my views are as follows :-
Dont bother with a diesel if you do less than 18K per year or short journeys or mostly non-motorway miles. The positive side of diesels is their gutsy driving characteristics and ability to effortlessly hold motorway cruising speeds. On the downside is the innevitably short 1st gear round town, and extreme slowness to warm up fully in the winter. Also, many of the newer diesels are not as economical as they should have been due to the Euro 4 emission reducing technology they are being fitted with, so now instead of getting touching 50 to the gallon you are back down to the early/mid 40's MPG. A lot of new generation 2 litre petrols will get you mid to late 30's mpg on a motorway run, so the gap is closing.
I really only hold onto my car now (A4 2.0 TDI) because I like the torqey driving chacteristics.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - nortones2
Like you Roly, I prefer diesel although I like the current 2.0 litre Honda a lot. It amuses me though how often people speak of the years and years to recoup extra cost of a diesel, but still ignore the lower resale value of a petrol engined car, and the greater depreciation loss if you are buying new or nearly. I only bought the petrol Civic when I did (2003) because the VW offerings were uninspiring (Mk IV Golf etc) and Honda didn't yet have their own 2.2 diesel to offer. But I have to admit its a very good engine.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - NatD
Hi All!

Did some calculations, and based on Petrol costing £1 and Diesel costing £1.10, and me doing 15k miles a years, it would take 9 years to 'Pay Back' the extra £2k I would have to spend. Only a difference of about £235 a year in petrol costs!
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - BobbyG
But how much more would your diesel car be worth at the end? Whats the price differential for servicing?

Its not all purely down to mpg.
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - George Porge
Buying a car for most of us is a long term thing, in 12 months time you could be commuting and doing 2-3 time the mileage you are now.

Since my last (and first) new buying experience I've changed jobs and moved house......
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - DP
I'd make it £340pa based on 15k, and a difference of 5p per litre and 10 mpg between the two fuels, but the point is valid.

I do 20-25k pa and it's a bit more clear cut.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - mike hannon
Just try both and buy what appeals to you. If it's a Honda you go for you are unlikely to be disappointed either way.
Remember, contrary to some opinions, you don't have to 'rev the nuts off' a decent petrol engine for excellent, flexible, performance and the characteristics of a diesel engine tend to flatter mediocre driving ability.
and the characteristics of a diesel engine tend to
flatter mediocre driving ability.

I can't see how that can be true when the useable rev range of even the best diesel is 2,000 RPM short of the even the carppiest petrol. Swapping from one engine to the other requires adjustment whichever way you do it.

Mediocre drivers used to petrol engines will constantly run a diesel engine into its limiter and whine incessantly about the fact it won't pull over 4,000 RPM. I have seen this countless times.

Cheers
DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Statistical outlier
I've never bought the argument about useable rev range. It can't be true, unless you get some idiot driving to the numbers on the rev counter.

Look at it in terms of % of maximum revs. I'd bet that relabelled as % on the rev counter you'd find the two pretty similar, with the diesel pulling harder at lower % of max revs, and the petrol at higher % of max.

A diesel will have different ratios to reflect this, based around the available range and not around absolute rpm.

Look at it this way. Someone on here ages ago was arguing that diesel was carp - they wanted to challenge two cars to a drag from 4k rpm, pointing out that the diesel would instantly hit the limiter. Idiotic comparison. Say 4k is 60% max, so start the diesel from 2.5k rpm say. Don't know about all diesels, but mine is just starting to pull like a train all the way to 85 mph from there in 3rd.

Also, I know very few 'carp' drivers who go above 4k rpm even on petrols.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - bostin
Some posts above are saying that there is only a 10 mpg difference between diesel and petrol. Not sure I agree that this is the case for all cars. For instance I run a 110 TDI Passat which, if driven down the motorways at 70mph will return 60mpg. A similar journey with a petrol engine is likely to return 40mpg. So that makes a difference of 20 mpg...... On average over the past 90k miles I've got 53mpg with a 'pressing on' driving style. In a petrol engine, I would presume 33mpg.
On smaller cars I would agree that the differences are smaller - although what about the C2 HDI or Panda Multijet against their petrol equivalents?

Bost
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - madf
I agree with Bostin
My comparison with petrol cars ... mainly round town driving
106 diesel averages 53mpg
106 1.1 petrol.. averages 38mpg.

madf
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Peter.N.
No, I wouldn't agree either, maybe between the worst diesels and best petrols. Most large diesels are capable of 50 mpg+ as opposed to about 35 mpg for petrol, although it depends a lot on your driving style. If you thrash a diesel you will get a poor consumption, but driven moderately you will get a worthwhile improvement over petrol. Driven gently, even better, my Citroen XM estate which weighs over a ton and a half, will return in excess of 50 mpg on our frequent trips to the north of Scotland, and that's an old IDI engine!

Some years ago I had a CX td Safari in which I covered over 150k miles, and the saving in fuel costs over the petrol equivalent was mare than I paid for the car!

Peter.N.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - kingslea
I cannot agree with the often quoted 20-30000 mile break even for diesel over petrol. The Honda in question will certainly retail at least £1K more after 3yrs if its a diesel. Why do most diesel cars cost more second hand? reason they are more desirable, checkout the diesel BMWs.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - grumpyscot
If you're gonna use the car for towing, then diesel it has to be. My mate tows a big caravan, with car full of kids, with a Laguna diesel - and he can still out-accelerate some (unloaded) cars.

His mate has the same caravan and tows with a 3 lire petrol Jag - Laguna overtakes him easily. Jag gets 18 mpg towing, Laguna gets 35mpg.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - oilrag
My experience is that as soon as you factor a lot of cold starts into it, petrol is below stated MPG figures while diesel can still meet or exceed them.

Their ought to be a 20 cold starts and half mile runs built into the tests, I think that would really highlight diesel economy.

Edited by oilrag on 11/12/2007 at 09:28

Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - oilrag
Tried to edit (but ran out of time)"their" to `there`and add 20 cold starts over `10 hours or so at 5c`

I have a feeling that stated petrol figures are more malleable in official `testing`.

Edited by oilrag on 11/12/2007 at 09:36

grumpyscot makes a good point with his towing example. Diesels "lug" much better thanks to all that torque, and as cars have got heavier and heavier, I believe this has shifted the advantage diesel's way.

Yes diesel engines have come a long way in terms of power and refinement, but the job that a car engine has to do has changed. The kerbweight of a typical family saloon has swelled from 1100 (or so) kg to 1500 (or so) kg in the last 20 years. To move that off from rest smartly, torque becomes critical. Diesels have it, petrols don't.

Petrols are still the choice where fuel economy doesn't matter and you can increase cc or use forced induction, but in a "sensible" family car and for a given power output, diesels are simply better suited to heavy modern cars.

In my humble opinion of course. :-)

Cheers
DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - drivewell
I cannot agree with the often quoted 20-30000 mile break even for diesel over petrol.
The Honda in question will certainly retail at least £1K more after 3yrs if its
a diesel. Why do most diesel cars cost more second hand? reason they are more
desirable.

YES - need to keep the px value in the equation.

My experience of typical car salesmen is this.

No sir, why buy a diesel if you're doing less than 20 - 25 - 30K a year. You'll never get your money back. (which really means "please, please, please let me sell you a petrol. Everybody is wanting to buy diesels and I can't shift petrol stock")

So you fall for it, buy a petrol, and three years later go back to px it. Of course, original salesman has moved on. Now, when you start to talk px values, you get

"I'm sorry sir, we can't give you what you're asking. It's a petrol, and nobody wants them. Now, if it was a diesel, I could give you a far better price. We can sell as many good used diesels as we can lay our hands on"
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Dipstick
Unless of course you have a diesel to trade in in which case it's

"I'm sorry sir, we can't give you what you're asking. It's

*insert colour here*
*insert model spec here*
*insert age here*
*insert day of the week here*

and nobody wants them."

Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - prm72
Also when i've driven petrol cars in stop start traffic the car seems to keep lurching/kangarooing when doing about 5mph, left foots doing the river dance, but you don't get this with a diesel, in fact my 2.0dti vectra c moves from standstill without touching the throttle.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Christopher
Feel the need to add my input here.
Have owned my Clioe Diesel DCi 65 for some 5 yrs now. It has been very economical (twice monthly fill ups), cheap to tax (£35 per year) and it drives very well.
I use it to commute to work very day and touch wood, no major faults, apart from computer going awall regarding injectors.
I service it regularly and change the oil every 9 - 10k. I also tow a trailor filled with logs virtually every weekend in the winter. It pulls like a dream, no issues with torque at all.
If i had a petrol, it would be expensive to keep filling the thing up, tax would be higher. Servicing would be the only cheaper item.
I drive 15k a year and am also tight fisted so this car does me fine!!!
I don't think I will ever buy a petrol again.
I like a small diesel in a small car!

Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - tyro
Unless of course you have a diesel to trade in in which case it's
"I'm sorry sir we can't give you what you're asking. It's
*insert colour here*, etc, etc, etc.

AND everyone is afraid to buy a used CR diesel these days, sir. worried about mis-fueling, you know. Sorry sir, we just can't shift them." ;-)
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Sofa Spud
On a petrol car you need to replace the exhaust every 2-3 years, on a diesel it lasts much longer normally because of the less corrosive properties of the exhaust gases.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - MichaelR
On a petrol car you need to replace the exhaust every 2-3 years

Er no, really you don't.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - nick
On a petrol car you need to replace the exhaust every 2-3 years

Depends on the car. A good quality factory exhaust will last well. My last Legacy did 135K and 6 years when sold still on the same exhaust and I live right next to the sea.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - mss1tw
My 1.3 Fiesta did nearly 10 years with only a backbox needing replacement. This was after a lifetime of short journeys (Previous owners elderly, 24,000 miles in 7 years!) until halfway through my 3 year ownership when I started working 15 - 20 miles from home.
Diesel VS Petrol - General Discussion - Martin1981
I would certainly reccommend a diesel to anyone who does more than 20k per annum, as obviously they are the ones who will benefit more financially by driving a diesel as opposed to a petrol. For people who drive 5-10k per year, it would make little difference whether a car was petrol or diesel.

I do approx 22-25k per year and as such diesel certainly does it for me, mainly due to the fuel economy (42-47mpg generally), but I also enjoy the low down torque and the power delivery over a sensible rev range.

It is true to say that diesel cars have certainly gained popularity over the last 5-10 years, not only because of their fuel saving nature, but also the fact that diesel engines have become almost as refined as their petrol counterparts with the introduction of common rail diesel engines back in the late 90's.

Turn the clock back 10-12 years ago, the only decent mainstream diesels were the PSA 1.7,1.9, 2.1TD's. At such time, most diesels were regarded as being noisy and slow, with the exception of the Peugeot/Citroen units. I still find the 1.9TD XUD engine in my 1994 306 fairly refined, even by today's standards.

Martin