Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - RichardP
I've always reversed into our drive as I believe it's far safer than trying to reverse out onto the road. We live in a large cul-de-sac, with many 'branches' leading off it. I live fairly close to the entrance to the cul-de-sac so get quite a bit of traffic going past. However, due to the lazy neighbours across the road regularly parking thier cars almost opposite my driveway on the road (many houses have a long drive where cars are parker end-to-end), I would struggle to reverse out anyway, but isn't an issue when I drive out forwards. Most houses have hedges running along the boundary to the road, which if reversing out restricts visability.

I'm often surprised that I'm the only one who reverses in! It's so easy to drive out forwards and the number of people I see struggling to reverse out is surprising. It's also surprising how many people reverse out and have not seen me when I'm proceeding down the road!

A few months ago, a friend parked his car on the pavement outside my house. The neighbour in the house opposite reversed her car out of the drive and straight into the side of his car (the same neighbours who park opposite our drive!) causing substantial damage. There was no excuse for this, with minimal care and attention, the car could have reversed out quite easily without causing damage. The same neighbours still park their cars quite inconsiderately however. I've politely tried explaining how it's easier to reverse in but they don't get it at all!

This isn't a rant as such, I'm quite happy reversing my car in as I believe it's safer, but why am I the only one on the street that does this? My wife also prefers to reverse in as she finds it harder to reverse out onto the road. I generally try to reverse into other spaces, like at the supermarket for example.

Any thoughts?
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Ed V
Just human nature that most of us just like to "get home" when returning, so cannot be bothered to ease our lives at some future point. But you're right I'm sure.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Muggy
I think the theory is that if you go in forwards so you have to reverse out it is much more difficult for a thief to nick it compared to if you back in so it's easier to drive off.

Think about it for a minute; if you were looking to nick a car off a drive and all the cars in a road were nose in except one which is nose out, which one would you nick...???
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Ravenger
My driveway has a fairly steep ramp onto it, so it's much easier to drive the car onto the drive, rather than reverse it. Also the house door is on the right side of the driveway, so you can get out of the car, and go straight to the door, instead of having to walk all the way around the car.

Reversing out is awkward though, as there's often a big transit van parked right opposite the drive.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Cliff Pope
Most people have no idea that the steering wheels are at the front. They think you just turn and the car follows the way you turn the wheel. It's only when they box themselves in going backwards and forwards that they realise it doesn't seem to work how they imagined.
But most never manage to work out why.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Clanger
instead of having to walk all the way around the
car.

Drive a particularly big car, do you? I wouldn't have thought walking round a car was much of an issue.

H family and I always reverse into our yard which is on a single track village road on a bend.

Sis-in-law (she of the flexible Saab convertibles and the late, unlamented Morris Minor drophead) always swoops in forwards at 15 mph, brakes hard, scratches her number plate on the wall opposite the gate and makes comments such as "Not much room here, is there" or "When are you going to make this parking area bigger?" One of us is then required to "see" her out when she leaves, whatever the weather.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Wee Willie Winkie
We live in a small village with a 30mph speed limit, which most people appear to ignore. It's also mad busy at rish hour as it's the local rat run.

I prefer to reverse in to my driveway (which you can perform a 6 point turn in if bothered) as:

1. It's easier to reverse out without getting my back end whipped off (so to speak)
2. It annoys drivers when they're delayed by my performing my reversing.

DB
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Tomo
It's easier to steer accurately going forwards, and the street is a bigger target than the driveway!
Funnily I was recently riding with one of our van drivers and he was saying it is a lot easier to reverse into spaces, because you get a straight clear view down each side in the mirrors. Driving forwards you get an unbalanced forshortened view across the bonnet.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - mike hannon
Reversing in makes much more sense. I've always found it easier to position the car that way and, once you have the hang of it, you can maneouvre through much more acute angles. Also - esp if there are walls or hedges - you can see what's coming when you leave!
Doesn't the Highway Code tell you not to reverse onto a carriageway?
Makes a bit of a mockery of 'follow me home' lights though. Perhaps they should be called 'irritate the neighbour opposite' instead.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - madf
I have always reversed into our garage and SWMBO does as well. Much easier with a warm car and less hassle exiting with a cold one.
Some drivers on main roads try to reverse out at rushtime... when 3 minutes extra at night will save 5 minutes on the morning's journey.

There are those that plan ahead and those who don't I guess.

madf
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Bill Payer
I generally try to reverse into other spaces like at the supermarket for example.

Unless the supermarket has a paved strip between the rows of cars, reversing in makes loading the boot awkward.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - movilogo
When reversing out of drive way to road, you've a lot more area for reverse maneuver than reversing into driveway.

And if you park facing back of your on road, it is actually safer if your neighbor reverses his/her on yours. I prefer my car do be damaged in rear than front (not on motorway though) as fixing rear is usually less pricey than fixing front ;)

Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - SteVee
I usually reverse into my driveway - even though it has a bay that can be used to turn a car around. I usually park in that bay because other members of my family just drive straight in and dump their cars just about anywhere.
I prefer to drive out straight as the pavement can be busy.

I'm also the only one in my family who bothers to clear all windows before moving off.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - local yokel
Reversing in not only makes your exit easier, it's faster too.

Many years ago I served in a secretive army unit, and we used to fine people a tenner for nosey-parking. The time taken to turn round is plenty for someone to zero in on you!
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Brit_in_Germany
If you reverse into a garage, not only will it become filled with exhaust fumes when you start off in the morning bit, if you drive a diesel, you will tend to leave a soot mark on the wall. Here in Germany, many carparks/garages tell you not to reverse in to avoid the latter.

BIG
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - SpamCan61 {P}
The Highway Code clearly states that you should reverse in and drive out, rule 201:-

"Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can."

Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Lud
The OP's point is really about careless and inconsiderate - clumsy - parking and driving by some of his neighbours. These are the norm anyway for about half of all drivers. In London such people park wastefully in residents' slots, often seeming deliberately to place their cars to occupy two spaces. People clutter them up with motor bikes and scooters, which ought to be allowed to park on the pavement where this is decently wide, too.

Of course I am not talking about illegal parking, just moronic parking. A lot of people resent having this sort of thing brought to their attention. Why should they have to think about such trivia? They are important car owners and their minds ore on higher things.

Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - henry k
If you reverse into a garage not only will it become filled with exhaust fumes.....

>>
I never reverse into my drive to ruduce the risk of fumes affecting my wife's breathing problems.

>>Here in Germany many carparks/garages tell you not to reverse in ......
>>
Some years ago, in Florida, I saw signs saying that you risked a fine if you reversed into parkings bays.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Dulwich Estate
And there was I mistakenly thinking that the backroom was full of affluent types - LOL.

Where are the carriage drives and turntables?

Surprisingly (well to me anyway) I seem to be seeing more turntables now.

Another story: In my previous life we installed one or two car parking lift thingies. Very rich client drives (forwards) towards large very pricey terraced house, presses a remote control and the front garden, together with shingle and plant pots rises up revealing a deck to park on. Client jumps out of car, presses button, car descends and the garden reappears as if by magic.

He still reverses out though.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - mike hannon
>Another story: In my previous life we installed one or two car parking lift thingies. Very rich client drives (forwards) towards large very pricey terraced house, presses a remote control and the front garden, together with shingle and plant pots rises up revealing a deck to park on. Client jumps out of car, presses button, car descends and the garden reappears as if by magic. <

So now we know who built Tracey Island...
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Peter D
I prefer to reverse into my drive, unlike the wife who does not like reversing in but gets away with it as I respect my clutch. The drive is uphill and whilst her clutch control is fine at all other times, reversing up a slope appears to require loads of clutch slipping whereas I can reverse all the way up with my foot of the the clutch. Mars and Venus. I would also point out that if your drive opens onto a B or A listed road it is an offence under the road traffic act to reverse into the road. Regards Peter.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Neiltoo
>>
Some years ago, in Florida, I saw signs saying that you risked a fine if you reversed into parkings bays.

This is because in Florida and some other states, front number plates are not mandatory, and so you must display the rear one to the traffic stream (and Police)
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - henry k
Neiltoo. Thanks for the answer.
They were angled parking bays. With large amounts of bodywork ahead of the front wheels I had assumed that they were such bad parkers they were winging pedestrians on the sidewalk. ;-)
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - barney100
I has a talk with the highways man from our local council when I had my drive done. Apparently it is illegal to reverse into a drive from a road. It is also illegal to reverse onto a road from a drive! I was reduced to to partaking of an alcoholic beverage.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - FotheringtonThomas
Apparently it is illegal to reverse into a drive from a road.
It is also illegal to reverse onto a road from a drive!

Erm, it isn't. He must've been having a funny five minutes!
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Steptoe
A few years ago I had a vehicle access finally approved after a very lengthy saga and one of the stipulated conditions was that I provided a vehicle turning area within the property curtilage.

Fair enough then, I did have enough area to do this though it involved me in considerable time, trouble, and expense as the ground slopes, but it still aggravates me intensely to see most of my neighbours reversing in or out of their driveways because they either don't have room to turn round or too many cars to do this
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - dxp55
If I see someone coming out of their drive forwards I let them out - if they reverse out no chance -
Richard -two four inch nails propped against rear tyres of chap over the road should slow him down.

Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Brian Tryzers
When reversing out of drive way to road, you've a lot more area for reverse manoeuvre than reversing into driveway.

I remember this coming up a few months ago, and I disagree. The road may be bigger than the drive but that's not the point when you're performing a delicate manoeuvre. What you need then, and Cliff points out, is space to move the steering (i.e. front) wheels, so it's easiest to leave them out in the clear as long as possible.

As for supermarkets - previously the only place I'd regularly park nose-in, to allow trolley access to the boot - the situation no longer arises. We've taken to having our big regular shop delivered, and other times I never buy more than I can carry in two big, re-usable bags.

The building I used to work in actually went so far as to introduce - and enforce - a rule that cars must be parked nose-out. This rather spoiled the quiet superiority complexes of those of us who were doing it already. };---)
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - L'escargot
A friend insists on reversing onto our drive. We've pointed out that we have a turning area but to no avail!
--
L\'escargot.
Evening, Mr Helix. I seem to remember you and I disagreed on this matter last time round. }:---)
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - L'escargot
Evening Mr Helix. I seem to remember you and I disagreed on this matter last
time round. }:---)

WillDeBeest, you must have misunderstood my post.

I agree absolutely with doing it when there isn't room on the drive to turn round. I was just telling a related anecdote. What's the point of visitors reversing on the road when there's enough room on our drive for at least maximum size motorhomes to turn? In fact anything which could go through a 10 foot wide gateway could turn if it used part of the lawn. No, this particular visitor is just plain awkward and contrary and just won't be told!
--
L\'escargot.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Group B
quiet superiority complexes

The mind boggles WDB!

In public car parks you often see people struggling to reverse, with restricted visibility, into narrow parking spaces. I sometimes look back and see they are still to-ing and fro-ing in the car while I?m walking into the shop.

IMO its better to drive forwards into the 2.4m by 4.8m space, so you then have a 6m by 20m (or whatever) space to reverse out into. I cant see what is difficult about: reversing a few feet, full lock on, reverse out, drive away.

I think my method is quicker and easier; but then I think whichever method each of us is used to is going to seem quicker and easier than the other method.

;o)
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - bostin
Really depends on the type of road which the property is on. On cul-de-sacs and other 'unclassified roads', I would reverse onto the drive.

On classified roads (where planning permission is required for a GOOD reason), I would generally seek to turn on-site unless traffic conditions (speeds, numbers etc) or the absence of on-site turning capacity would suggest otherwise. Why? Well I'm a planner so partly it's from a theoretical view that reversing onto a road would not give you decent visibility splays. The other is from practical experience from being out on site, standing on busy/fast moving roads and working through the likely outcomes if I were to recommend approval of such accesses.

Bost
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Bromptonaut
House is on a cul de sac spur @ 90 degrees to access and further 90 degrees into drive. Much easier to go past and "wiggle" in backwards - trying to reverse out at 6am with misted windows and neighbours cars around would be a nightmare.

Rich's method in car parks works fine at eg Sainsbury's where the roads are two cars wide and all parking in well defined bays. At local station it's much safer to pass bay wide and, although it's a slight struggle, reverse in - even interupting the manoeuvre to liberate bike from boot.

That way when you arrive home and find some berk attending a late show in town has squeezed on the end of the row opposite you can still get home for tea!!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/11/2007 at 20:24

Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Group B
On our drive I drive in/ reverse out too, but we live on a v. small cul-de-sac with only 2 houses past ours. I've only ever lived on quiet roads with hardly any traffic, so Ive always done it this way, but if we lived on a busy road then I would most likely do it differently.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Bilboman
Advantages of driving in forwards: 1. You are less likely to run over a cat, dog or small child; 2. It's safer if you live on a busy road, as you don't hold up other drivers so much; 3. It's "natural", convenient and less effort at the end of a long, tiring journey; 4. If you catch the milkman trying to make a speedy exit you'll have more time to react and pin him against garage wall with front of car
Advantages of reversing in: 1. An easier, faster, safer start to your journey in the morning; 2. Slightly easier access to boot full of shopping; 3. Allows a fast exit if the Germans invade (Home Office advice, circa 1940, still followed by some older drivers)
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Falkirk Bairn
BBC Reports on Court Case

Driver fined over pensioner death
A driver who killed a 90-year-old woman after reversing over her has been fined £500 and given six penalty points.
Colin Anderson, 48, was backing out of his drive in Hurlford, Kilmarnock, in January, when he knocked down Katherine Smith, who was walking on the pavement.

Anderson and a passer-by pulled Ms Smith clear but she died in hospital.

At Kilmarnock Sheriff Court, the coach driver was convicted of driving without due care and attention. He was cleared of having broken reverse lights.

The court heard the Highway Code ruled drivers should always reverse into driveways and drive out forwards.

Sheriff Elizabeth McFarlane said she had to take into account the culpability of his driving and not the consequences, adding that the offence was "at the lower end of the scale".

> I think the theory is that if you go in forwards so you have to reverse out it is much more difficult for a thief to nick it compared to if you back in so it's easier to drive off.

I hadn't thought of this and the scales have now fallen from my eyes. From now on, not only will I park nose-in, but before leaving the car, I will also deflate all four tyres and the spare, obscure all the windows with shaving foam, and remove the steering wheel. It may delay my departure a little, but this seems a tiny price to pay for making my car less attractive to thieves.
};---)
Or you could just remove the rotor arm in the time-honoured way.

My only slight qualm about reversing in is when the road is very busy. You are slowing down, watching for the entrance, so have a queue of tailgaiters behind you. You now presumably indicate (say) left, but pull over to the right at an angle ready for the reversing move, and stop. So now you have to persuade the first car to go back a bit, and possibly the others too.

It is in those circumstances a lot easier to drive straight in, even if you have to swing out to do so.
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Avant
"Advantages of driving in forwards: 1. You are less likely to run over a cat, dog or small child..."

Sorry to disagree, Bilboman, but I have never forgotten - about 25 years ago, starting up SWMBO's car (she drives forwards into the garage; I always reverse in for the reasons people have mentioned above) and being about to reverse out when my elder daughter, aged about 3, suddenly appeared beside the driver's door. I hadn't shut the front door of the house as I thought the children were coming out with SWMBO.

What would have happened if I'd reversed out a few seconds earlier doesn't bear thinking about. And all because the child seats were in her car.

Reversing in, the children (happily, all 4 have survived to adulthood!) are either in the car with you or inside the house.

Edited by Avant on 01/12/2007 at 13:55

Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - colino
I think its always easier to reverse in to a slot when the car is nice and warm with clear windows (instead of the fugged up interior at the crack of dawn next morning. The choice was taken away when I built a house about a decade ago when planning permission was granted for a garage on the express condition that access over the pavement was permissible only when reversing from the carriageway into the garage. (The wording didn't explain how I got it back out of there though!)
Reversing into driveways - surely safer? - Bilboman
Correct me if I'm wrong...
reversing is, per se, riskier than driving forwards.
Reversing IN is risky; reversing OUT is risky, too.
All vehicles have blind spots. Especially the big, tall ones.
A lot of people don't look round properly when reversing. And even if you do look around properly, there's always the unexpected.
While crawling out of a "herringbone" parking slot in reverse last year (It was physically impossible to reverse into the space) a driver came round the corner at high speed, in the rain, no wipers or lights on, his young daughter sitting on his lap, windows completely fogged up,... and smashed into the back of my car which was practically stationary. We got out of our cars and I found myself surrounded by his clan of about 20 friends and family and no one else to be seen, least of all an independent witness.
I sent off the amicable, "no fault" insurance claim form and my insurance company completely agreed with the other driver that it had been my fault: I was the one driving in reverse. Spanish motoring law unfortunately assumes the guilt of a driver who is (i) reversing, or (ii) overtaking or (iii) in collision with a pedestrian.
Sometimes Pink fluffy dice happens.

Edited by Webmaster on 04/12/2007 at 00:59