New Private Owner - First Impressions - Halmer
1.6 petrol

Feels extremely well made, very quiet, drives well for a tall car. Plenty of room in the front, fantastic seats, a bit tighter in the back. Rear visibility could be better but nothing to worry about.

Will let you know how I go on.

H
New Private Owner - First Impressions - RichardP
I got my new QQ on Monday and would agree with the comments above. However, there's a few things I don't like, the main one being the awful gear change - it's quite hard to get into first and second at times and generally feels very vague when selecting a gear - never had this before. In fact the gearchange in my W reg Vectra was far superior! I'm hoping it is a 'bedding-in' issue. Only 210 miles so far so we'll see how it goes. I have the 2.0 dci acenta (150hp) - the engine is superb and it really goes and is very quiet and refined. Average economy so far is 44mpg.

Not too impressed with the rear visability, but the large door mirrors are very good.

I also hate where they have put the rear fog light in the centre of the bumper. I'm fitting a towbar soon and can see myself breaking the light when I'm hooking the caravan up! It is the exact height to where the caravan hitches up. I doubt if fitting a bumper protector which would obscure the light would be legal!

Generally very impressed.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - mand68
Have had my "squashy" for 10 months.

Huge delay on delivery with no apology from garage - not a good start.

I also find the gear box really really terrible , it would seem that it can not make up its mind which gear it would like to be in , there seems to be a large "gap" between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 where it does not like either gear .

I often have strong burning smells from engine and although the heating was not on on one occasion my feet felt like they were on fire !! I even ditched to car and fetched a mechanic as i was sure the engine was going to flame. ( burning is not clutch smell , will go on to that now !!)

I find the 1.6 petrol very sluggish and on numerous occasions , ie having to pull off quickly and reverse up hill the clutch burns , regardless who is driving and regardless how good a driver .

Being short there is only one seating position i can have , unfortunately very low down !!!! otherwise my shins bash against the dash , rear view is appalling however the mirrors are fab .

I may have angered a few with my post , but from what i read on here i think perhaps these problems may have been with early batches ? hopefully now sorted out.

I have had 4 Renault cars and 3 nissans and loved them all so if anyone has any idea what i could do to get the garage to take me seriously I would love to hear your thoughts as I feel these problems are not across the board but just a few of us and could be rectified. ( my father in laws is fine )
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Avant
I know I've said this before on here but no apologies - I could never be 'impressed' by a car with bad rear visibility. This reduction of glass towards the rear of cars (Honda Civic and Renault Megane are other offenders) is common sense giving in to 'style' whatever that is.

Let's hope you don't hit a child who is hidden - through no fault of your own - by your blind spot.
New Private owner - First impressions - Alf Romeo

i have to drive a van for work with no rear visability other than the mirrors & have yet to hit a child in the huge blind spot that is the rear of the van! the mirrors are there for more than applying your make-up!

The gear change on mine is fine. As good as the Passat and Golf that I have owned most recently.

'Funnily' enough someone did walk behind my car as I was reversing the vehicle out of the garage upon collection. The rear sensors picked them up as they walked behind.

Other things that spring to mind - excellent sound system, bluetooth phone works well, good forward visibility despite relatively small screen. Wish that the passenger electric window had one touch drop like the VWs but only a minor thing. No rattles and holds the road well.

Oh and dropped all of the windows to reverse out of my drive this morning and it felt like a gallon of water entered the car from the roof. Bit of noise from the wing mirrors at 70mph but car feels very refined to me. One touch indicators caught me out at first on the way home because I've not had these before. A bit underpowered but meets my speed needs and most of my ohers.

Love the car, my first 'Japanese' one, but time will tell I suppose.

Just hope that the manufacturer treats me with a little less arrogance than the last one.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - doctorchris
OK, since when was Sunderland in Japan?
"Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so"
New Private Owner - First Impressions - daveyjp
"The gear change on mine is fine. As good as the Passat and Golf that I have owned most recently."

Having driven VAG manuals this is not a ringing endorsement of Nissan gearboxes to me - it sounds like they have gone backwards.

I drove many Datsuns and Nissans during the 1980s and 1990s and one thing they were good at producing was a silky smooth gearbox - the Aygo we have with a Toyota gearbox continues this tradition. VAG boxes always seem heavy and 'clunky'.

Edited by daveyjp on 30/11/2007 at 11:52

New Private Owner - First Impressions - Pendlebury
"The gear change on mine is fine. As good as the Passat and Golf that I have owned most recently."
Having driven VAG manuals this is not a ringing endorsement of Nissan gearboxes to me - it sounds like they have gone backwards."

Exactly what I was thinking davey
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Altea Ego

Edited by Altea Ego on 01/12/2007 at 17:27

New Private Owner - First Impressions - Round The Bend
An attack of the vapours, Dr Chris?
New Private Owner - First Impressions - LinuxGeek
In my family we've had a Nissan Sunny, 2 Nissan Primeras, 1 Almera and 5 Micras and I must say I always loved the gearboxes on those cars. They were always really smooth, even with Primeras with mileages way over 100k.
Is it Nissan or Renault gearboxes which are being used in Qashqai?
New Private Owner - First Impressions - v0n
Is it Nissan or Renault gearboxes which are being used in Qashqai?

1.6litre HR16DE is paired with Renault's JR5/Q if I recall correctly. Rehash of a gearbox of some notoriety used previously in Laguna and Clio among others. 2.0 litre HR20DE has 6 speed MT1, a pretty decent join venture between Nissan and Renault. This gear box is by the way used by Renault with TL4 label for performance editions - Clio RS, R27 etc.

The only truelly japanese transmissions in current lineup are Jatco's JF613E 6 speed automatic (Mitsi Outlander) which is option for 2.0 dCi diesel and JF011E CVT (Dodge Caliber and Infiniti lineup) matched with 2 litre petrol.
--------------------
[ Anything I drive can and will be used against me ]

Edited by v0n on 30/11/2007 at 14:00

New Private Owner - First Impressions - whoopwhoop
"my first Japanese car"

LOL! Glad you're enjoying your "Japanese" car, build in the UK fitted with a French (Renault) engine!
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Altea Ego
The box on the cashcow I had on test felt fine. Long throw, but sweet precise and no baulkiness of any kind
------
< Ulla>
New Private Owner - First Impressions - movilogo
>>my first 'Japanese' one

Nissan = Renault
Sorry I was a bit of an idiot thinking that Nissan is a Japanese company. My apologies.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - doctorchris
Halmer, please don't beat yourself with the big stick of guilt. You have chosen a fine car that will bring you many miles of motoring pleasure.
Here in Sunderland we just like to receive acknowledgement of our car building prowess.
So many cars these days are the gas-stove offspring of many nations that nobody can be expected to know where their car really comes from.

random words inserted where an a verboten word was used !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 01/12/2007 at 17:01

More than happy to buy a product that is 'made in England'.>> 1.6 petrol
New Private Owner - First Impressions - The Gingerous One
g/f has just picked hers up this week, she went for the 1.6 Visia and, so far, is happy with it.

Well, once I pointed out to her that the filler cap is screw on/off one and that to refit it, you turn it clockwise.......

She's only driven small cars so as far as she is concerned it is like driving a large lorry (!) but she'll get used to it.

No problems with the gearbox, similar short throw to my Primera, wholly unlike g/f's previous 206 that had a gearbox similar to an Austin Maxi so you knew you were in 1st, 3rd or 5th when your knuckles smashed into the dash. 2nd & 4th you elbowed the rear seat.
QQ gearbox is fine.

cheers

Stu
New Private Owner - First Impressions - colinh
Nissan must be doing something right - my local dealer in Spain is quoting a 6 months delivery period - winter will be over by then!
Ok then.

Having owned this for a few weeks and done a few things with it here are my thoughts.

As always a new motor takes a bit of getting used to but I really like this car. The build quality, to a non trained eye like mine (perceived quality?), is fantastic. It feels really solid (heavy?) and for a tall vehicle is remarkably adhesive around the bends. Qashqai is incredibly quiet apart from a gruff (1.6) engine which complains a bit when pushed. Its not the quickest thing on four wheels (can't get it onto two yet) but it's plenty fast enough for an old fogey like me with a small family.

The front seats are the best I have ever sat in although I gather from reports that the rear ones are not quite so supportive. My lad's mates think that it is rather cool which is nice for someone coming from a boring Passat. There are bits that could be better Mr Nissan but only minor things such as I have to hold my finger on the switch to get the passenger window up an down rather that a one touch operation; No light on the sun visors; Dash clocks look a bit cheapo; water enters the vehicle off the roof if you reverse down a bank with the windows open (which I have to to get out of my drive). Would be a tad harsh to be disappointed by it though and its put together in my homeland which is nice.

Rear vision is not half as bad as expected upon delivery and door mirrors are superb and compensate in use with reversing sensors. Sound system is fab. Makes even Coldplay sound good.

All in all 8 out 10 so far.

My previous cars and the amount of time that I kept them for are as follows: -

VW Passat 5 years from new 7 out of 10
VW Golf Mk 4 3 years from new 6/10
VW Golf Mk 3 3 years from used 7/10
Fiat Tipo 3 years from new 6/10

Fiat Mirafiori 3 years from used 10/10

only joking!
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Optimist
I'm just about to order a CVT Acenta.

I like the drive, comfort and overall feel.

Anything nasty crept out of the paintwork in the last few months for anyone?
Done just over 2,000 miles in mine now in three months.

Just filled in my JD power survey and to be honest nothing's gone wrong with the Qashqai yet (I'm may regret typing this).

In terms of build quality the best complaints that I can muster are: -

1. The little square plate that covers the towing eye at the front in the bumper does not fit square.

2. The gear lever gaitor has not been fitted quite right (I can see a hole where both sides meet).

3 The black plastic cover toward the rear passenger window on the outside is not quite flush (the sponge catches on it when I was the car).

I think that it is brilliant.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - RichardP
I've done 6,000 miles in 3 months since I got my 2.0 DCI Acenta. 'Issues' include:

1. Sometimes a slight burning/hot smell enters the cabin when stationary after a run (possibly the DPF?) Other owners have also noticed this on various Qashqai forums

2. Sometimes the front suspension makes a clunking sound on bigger bumps (dealer clueless and not much help), although it seems to have stopped recently?!

3. The gearshift issue has got much better, but still a bit hard to get into first on occasions.

4. No issues with bodywork or trim - well put together

5. Excellent, punchy 150bhp diesel engine and refined. Average MPG to date 46, which I think is fairly good.

6. Some trim is easily marked, even though I do take care of it

7. Very good 6 cd system, quite good sound quality

8. Bluetooth connection bit tempremental, doesn't always connect or find my phone - usually end up switching off my phone and turning it on again seems to cure it for a bit.

9. Rear suspension can be very 'crashy' and hard over some bumps

10. Awful and complicated rear middle seat belt, which connects to 2 buckles! Very fiddly and a bind if there are 3 people in the back (I won't take passengers unless they wear their belt).

Overall I am very pleased with it, best thing about it is the engine and decent equipment for the money.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - johnco
I've the 2.0 dci Acenta all mode 4x4 done a whopping 1,400 miles in 3mths. Why the diesel. Strongest engine of the range.

I totally agree with your listing 1 3 4 5 6 7 & 9. Have no probs with 2 or 8. Re no10 rear seats belts not in use therefore I cant comment.

One point the black plastic in the rear quarter area of back passenger door windows are already fading. What sunlight.

ANY problems with the climate control. My heater takes forever to heat up & even @ max will not toast the finger tips or toes. More noticable now that the summer (ha ha) is coming to an end. The cooler damp mornings cause the cabin to mist up to a point that I cant see & have to pull in. But as the heater is still blowing ice cold together with the air con it takes forever to clear. I dont believe in using hands on the windscreen peering through a port hole.

Nissan Dealer says they have not had any complaints.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Bill Payer
>
ANY problems with the climate control.

Not Qashqui specific, but if the a/c is turned on in every car I've owned then it clears the windows all but instantly.

Also, diesels generally have some kind of heater assist - either in the engine's water jacket or sometimes (like A & B Class Mercs, which give practically instant warm air) a PTC element in the heater itself.

These heater boost functions sometimes have to be enabled - and often don't work unless the air temp is below a certain level. The one on my C Class Merc only works in the temp is below 8C, for example. It uses the a/c compressor as a heat pump and can be turned off by turning off the a/c.

Edited by Bill Payer on 07/09/2008 at 13:54

New Private Owner - First Impressions - ifithelps
Demisting - can't understand why more cars don't have electrically heated front screens.

Ford's Quickclear works a treat.

Edited by ifithelps on 07/09/2008 at 17:22

New Private Owner - First Impressions - Dynamic Dave
Demisting - can't understand why more cars don't have electrically heated front screens.

Because Ford own the Patent.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - pyruse
>> Demisting - can't understand why more cars don't have electrically heated front screens.
Because Ford own the Patent.

And because some of us hate the fine wires in the screen.
Aircon works just as well to demist, and with no obstruction in the screen.
It also keeps you nice and cool in summer.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Dynamic Dave
And because some of us hate the fine wires in the screen.

Yep, and that.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - steveemmett
I have had my 1.5 Deisel back in the main dealer three times, the climate control is rubbish neither keeps the car warm in winter or cool in summer main dealer says nothing wrong and thats how it us! I drove for two hours one morning with the controls set at 28 C with a thermometer in the car the highest cabin temperature reached was 20 C. You have to spend most of a journey fiddling with heater controls I have given up on dual zone climate control it doesnt work on a qashqai

My last car was a Peugeot 407 climate control on that brilliant.

Car is comfortable and economical but thats about it, squeaky streering column needing bushes, replacing 24,000 miles exhaust is blowing

The housing for the microphone at the top middle of the windscreen has fallen out of its own accord and been replaced twice, build quality is very poor.

There are many better cars for the money i wouldnt have another one and miss my 407SE SW a much better car!
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Mobius
Hmm.
Not like previous Nissans.

Clutch burns on pull-away on slight inclines

Rear seatbelts horrid to fasten.

Have 2wd and with a very slight falling of snow, turns into an intoxicated ballerina. Skates around and can't get up slightest incline.

Can't wait to get rid. Wouldn't be confident of 4wd if 2wd is so appalling.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Bill Black
As far as I can see not one reply has commented on the vehicle's 4wd capabilities. Does this mean that most Quashqais sold are 2wd? If so, why? I borrowed a 4wd Quashquai for a weekend and tried it thoroughly in its proper element (snow) and liked most things about it, apart from the dash. I agree with most of the comments here, but can see little point in the 2wd version. There are countless 2wd vehicles that beat the Quashqai hands down in just about every direction, especially handling and ride. The same applies to the rest of the 4wd 'lite' brigade, including the CR-V I eventually chose -which also performes perfectly on snowy unploughed roads, but which I preferred for other reasons. Horses for courses I reckon.
Bill
I reckon most of them are 2WD.

At £13699 RRP for the 1.6 Visia, it satisfied my girlfriends' criteria and the local main NIssan dealer gave her a good p/ex price on her 206.

At around £2k per hike in trim level or engine size, the higher specc'd ones just seemed expensive and offered things she doesn't need or want.

Tried the Golf, but dealer had no petrol ones in stock and lets face there's millions of them around. And it was more expensive.

Girlfriend liked the Quashqai and if shes' happy then I'm happy. She's paying for it, it's her car so job done. Didn't bother taking anymore cars out for a drive, she decided that she liked the Quashqai so all done.

cheers

Stu
'There are countless 2wd vehicles that beat the Qashqai hands down in just about every direction, especially handling and ride'.

Your opinion Bill and I respect it but disagree with it. I test drove a number of cars including the Golf and preferred the 2WD Qashqai. Ride is far superior to the Golf as is the build quality (I know I've had five Golfs).
I'm considering the 4WD but it's another £1400.

What are the "countless" 2WD's that beat the Qashqai in every direction including unusual looks, glass roof, comfort, high level of equipment?

Convince me and I might shell out the extra cash.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Bill Black
I appear to have ruffled a few feathers here for which I apologize, it's just that in my hilly, wintry world the QQ is marketed as a compact SUV where SUV=4wd. Not being au fait with GB prices (or your criteria) I'm not going to add fuel to the fire by suggesting alternatives, but being, at least in certain areas, marketed as as a SUV means that the QQ's basic 'high, rugged' concept is bound to adversly affect the comfort (i.e. handling & ride) compared to say, a Focus or Pug 207/307 etc. etc. But no matter, I'm sure it's a fine car and that you'll be very happy with it. I recommend the 'What Car' reader reviews if you want no-nonsense feedback.
Bill
You've not ruffled any feathers that belong to me, Bill. I don't know where your hilly, wintry world is but in the UK the Qashqai is being marketed as urban-proof, whatever that means.
I just don't see the Focus or the Pug as quite the same sort of car, though I've considered both, and I suppose that's what Nissan had in mind. I've already looked at What Car and it seems to me that there are more fors than againsts. If we had enough snow here I'd probably buy a 4WD as opposed to the 2WD if I settle on the Qashqai. Cheers!
New Private Owner - First Impressions - knightrider
I have recently part exchanged my Focus for the Qashqai Tekna 2.0 CVT have now done 2000 miles and am very happy. I did test drives in many cars including BMW AUDI LEXUS VOLVO but in my opinion none came near the Qashqai for comfort and styling. The seats are extremely comfortable , the panaromic roof is fantastic love the auto box the driving position is excellent. The teenage kids also love the car and it draws admiring glances in the street. All in all I have to say that in 40 years of motoring its the best car that I have owned. Well done Nissan 10 out of 10. It will be very interesting to see how the depreceation on the car goes , as I believe it is now about a year old. Any ideas?
Glad that you're pleased with it KR.

The seats are incredibly comfortable and supportive although ironically I'm flat out with a bad back at the moment and can't drive.

I agree re the kids - my teenage lad's mates think that it's really cool. The driving position is excellent and it's very practical. it's difficult to criticise much on it as long as you appreciate any shortcomings from the outset. Would have been nice to have a 12v outlet in the back for example. There is a Qashqai forum if you're interested at forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/ I've picked some useful tips up from there.

I would expect it to depreciate fairly rapidly though like most mainsteam cars. Even if it keeps pace with a Golf (which it wont) over the first three years of its life, you'll still lose a fair chunk of cash I'm afraid.

Good luck with it.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Andrew-T
Son-in-law works for Nissan, and both he and wife have QQs at present. Reddish faces recently when wife used his car, moved the seat to the furthest forward position, where it locked irretrievably. S-i-L somewhat inconvenienced as he is 6'2". Car had to go to workshop to be fixed. So - QQ users - careful if you move driver's seat fully forwards?

Edited by Andrew-T on 07/09/2008 at 16:31

New Private Owner - First Impressions - knightrider
Just completed 6000miles and 12 months old Still very pleased with the car despite one real problem.Experienced knocking noise from rear after 6 months,not unknown according to other owners However,despite usual suspects being replaced ie. rear boot lock,noise still persisted. 5 trips to local dealer could not solve problem until one small guy travelled in boot and discovered noise coming from the rear roof area.Eventually, fault found to be the panaromic sun blind when it was retracted.Nissan then sent 5 man team from Sunderland down to Essex and replaced Blind motor,modified blind fitted with new interior headlineing,result car now noise free! Full marks to Nissan for this level of customer care.However,they probably will have to recall some cars to fit new modified electric sun blind.I would say that this is the most comfortable to travel in and looks great on the road.Would definately recommend to other buyers who want something a little different.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Brentus
Knightrider

I think Nissan have a known problem with this vehicle. I have read somewhere that the noise you hear from the rear is the shockers. It was on older vehicles apparently. Have a read of HJ's car review or long term test it may well be in thier. look at feedback problems etc. Hope you get it sorted.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Steve Pearce
My 2.0 dCi Tekna is coming up to 12 months with around 16K on the clock. Without a doubt the best car I've ever owned. Very comfortable, good driving position, penty of power and no problems to report so far.
Spoke too soon. I've just had the rear shock absorbers replaced as the bushes had failed. Seems this is a common problem with the original parts fitted.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - V5678
Wish I had found this forum sooner, my Qashqai will be 2yrs old in September.

I too thought the gear changes can be dodgy but just put it down to driver error!

Had the rear shock absorbers changed at 1yr service, had noticed the annoying noise from the rear but put it down to my rubbish rolling around the boot and the one of the bits of plastic holding the parcel shelf on had come off.

10months later the rattling in the boot is back and think the shocks may need done again? Only done 21k miles so thinking this is not a good sign.

I love the height and feeling of being safe inside my qashqai but I don't think it copes well with small bumps and rough patches on the roads I tend to be on A and B class roads in Scotland - I am not meaning off road tracks just normal roads for us here with a generous share of pot holes.

Meant to have heated seats in the front - how do others find this? Seems to heat up when it feels like it and even then not particularly warm.

Wish the demisting on frosty mornings was quicker I am out for 10min scraping etc with the A/C on full blast while B/F is away in his ford focus within about 3min....

BTW - I am a newbie to this - no technical knowledge and no idea of forum etiquette...

V
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Happy Blue!
How are you doing? - Fine so far!

Bit curious about your heated seats. I assume there will be switches for them?
My heated seats work just fine, very toasty after a couple of miles.

The rear shocks has been a problem with this model, as Nissan bought a shed load of sub-standard parts from a Turkish source. When this problem first showed up, they were just replacing broken shocks with the same sub-standard parts; which is why some owners are are on their third set. They apparently have now sourced replacements from a better manufacturer and the poor Turkish parts should be a thing of the past.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - perro
Mainly teething troubles V, which you almost always get with what is essentially a completely new model. I'd be inclined to fit some Spax or Koni shockers.
Re: the ride quality, what size wheels and tyres have you got?
HJ reckons 16" WHEELS WITH 215/65 TYRES are best.
I agree with the teething troubles approach. The ride can be a bit jittery on a poor surface but on a decent A or M road on cruise control I find it very stable and comfortable.

I would like some help in putting phone numbers into the radio system. I follow the instructions, but can't get the system to retain the name so I can then add the number and so on.

Is this a common problem or is there something I'm missing? Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by Optimist on 02/08/2009 at 16:53

I have had no problem entering the numbers and names manually but have never been able to master the art of uploading them all by bluetooth from my phone.

Is this what you mean?
An update whilst I am here.

IMO it's a very good car but if I have to be picky.

Know problems that i have had:-

1. I've had two sets of replacement shockers; had to wait nearly three months for the second set.

2. The alloys are corroding at the front and I have now been waiting over two months for replacements.

3. The auxiliary belt squeals like a pig when it is cold and damp.

4. Mine was subject to a recall re potential gearbox bolt fracture.

5. Main dealer still lags behind the best in show despite all.

6. There seems to be awful lot of rust around some of the suspension arms etc for a nearly new car.

On the positive side: -

1. Driving position and height is great.

2. Price not too bad from new considering the bits that you get like bluetooth, climate control etc.

3. It drives well. Mine is the 1.6 which is adequate for my needs.

4. Interior fit and finish is very good as is general build quality, shut lines etc.

5. Wing mirrors are massive and the safest aid that I've had. Rear view is compromised though.

All in all it's not perfect but I'd still recommend and would buy another one.
Still happy here with our 1.6 Visia. It start squealing like an old Metro a month ago and took it back to main (& supplying) dealer who changed the alternator drive belt FOC. And cleaned it as well.
I had also noticed that the fron black radiator grille was starting to fade to grey (cue 1980's Visage song) so mentioned that to dealer whilst I was there, saying it was poor for this to happen to plastic trim after only 18 months. They took pics & submitted claim to Nissan and Nissan apparently agree, so it will be replaced under warranty.

car was ready by 9:30am so no hassle with getting lifts or anything, drove into work just a little later than normal.

Everything else ok, no gearbox or rear damper issues.

So all still happy up in the North West with ours, and the main dealer back-up.

No corrosion on alloys on ours, and the gearbox bolts were replaced as per the recall as part of it's first service last year.

cheers,
Stu

Edited by The Gingerous One on 04/08/2009 at 14:15

No, Halmer. Bluetooth doesn't work for me either, but it's the manual entry I can't master. If there's some simple point you've noticed I'd be pleased to hear it. I can't get the hang of what you put in before you try to enter the name.

Thanks.

Edited by Optimist on 02/08/2009 at 22:21

New Private Owner - First Impressions - b308
Mmm, not exactly a ringing endorsement for the QQ, this thread!

I see most owners would buy another, but with the faults they mention in a new car (in particular dodgy gearchange and replaced shocks) I wouldn't go near one...

And how can it be good in the city (as per the adverts) when rear visibilty is rubbish (and before anyone says anything sensors don't pick up everything!)?!

Nope, not for me, thanks!
>>> Mmm, not exactly a ringing endorsement for the QQ, this thread! <<<

Tis a shame because my 05 Almera 1.8 is very good, I've owned it for 2.5 years now and it hasn't missed a beat.
Mayhap the QQ probs are the result of components sourced from without, which was one of BL's probs IIRC.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - LikedDrivingOnce
Until a few years ago, I'd run Nissans for 17 years, and not had any major issues with any of them. Though it pains me to say this (as someone with some French ancestry), maybe they have only started cutting corners since they became Renault?
>>>maybe they have only started cutting corners since they became Renault?<<<

My friend BIG Terry (now dead Terry!) used to swear by French engines, he used to be 'in oil' out in the middle east, responsible for some heavy machinery, he drove Laguna's for the last 4 years - and I mean DROVE, he never bothered with oil changes and minor stuff like that!
I think you'll agree LDO that its mainly the electrics and poor trim that lets the French cars down but - they are getting better?
New Private Owner - First Impressions - LikedDrivingOnce
I think you'll agree LDO that its mainly the electrics and poor trim that lets
the French cars down but - they are getting better?

Yes, now that you have pointed it out, I agree. It is the electrics and trim that are the problem areas. I hope that they are getting better, I really do.

It would be nice to say the same about Italian cars as well. I love Italy - but have always been wary of Italian cars. (And friends have had some bad experiences of Alfas, unfortunately). I know that there will be some very reliable Italian cars out there, but it's all about odds, isn't it? And with my luck......"If I dealt in candles, the sun would never set".
>>>If I dealt in candles, the sun would never set". << -----> :-)

Italian cars and women are very fine, if a trifle highly strung and hence temperamental :)
I've never owned an Italian car, although I've worked on many and I must admit that I found them more or less ok - they certainly win top prize for looks (and the cars aren't bad either!)
I suppose that in today's world, with BMW, Merc and VW losing ground in the reliability and build quality stakes, many Japanese cars being built everywhere (except Japan) and French cars getting better & better (IMO), I might be tempted to 'cross the channel' myself.
Optimist

Have you got the manual?
Yes, and I've RTF thing, but still can't make the info go into the radio unit for the phone.

If there's a wrinkle you've identified, please post.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - brum
IIRC Apparently the Qashqai does not have a rear bumper (crash) bar - just a plastic bumper cover. (Some article in autocar or what car about insurance tests front/rear collisions)

That would put me off straight away.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Urban Nomad
I read about this protective bar issue a couple of months prior to purchasing my Qashqai. Nissan is not alone in having just a plastic bumper, many other makers use the same principal. Passenger safety is not compromised as there are both front and rear crumple zones designed to absorb the energy from an impact and protecting occupants within a rigid cage.
The main benefit of having a solid bumper is to reduce repair costs in low speed shunts, yet still Nissan has accomplished an enviable group 5 insurance rating on the 1.6 petrol, compared to a VW Golf minor repairs will cost a lot less.
I bought my QQ because to date it has achieved the highest ever NCAP safety rating in all sectors, also a new Golf is totally dull ( looking dated already ) overpriced and lacks a lot of desirable kit as standard.
So far reliability has been faultless, and its seems to be gaining a little cult following!

>>> Mmm not exactly a ringing endorsement for the QQ this thread! <<<

The Qashqai is very reliable especially in petrol form, the Renault sourced diesels have been known to cause problems mainly concerning particulate filters. Customer surveys have scored the QQ reliability highly , recently in a JD Power survey it beat every small family hatch including the Golf and came third in the SUV category.
I have no issues with the fit or finish and the whole car fells robust and well screwed together, fold down the rear seat and throw your mountain bike in the back, that's the sort of car it is.
I would recommend a Petrol engined Qashqai ( preferably the 1.6 litre ) to anyone looking for sensible, reliable family transport with an adventurous twist to it's styling.
New Private Owner - First Impressions - Avant
Have they sorted the back seats out now so that they fold flat?

I looked at a Qashqai two years ago and they didn't - understandable in a Micra but quite ridiculous in a car that size.

The other thing that put me off, as someone has said above, is the awful rear visibility - again a quite unnecessary capitulation to the stylist in a car which is going to be bought for reasons of practicality rather than style.

Edited by Avant on 03/09/2009 at 23:47

>>>I would recommend a Petrol engined Qashqai ( preferably the 1.6 litre ) to anyone looking for sensible, reliable family transport with an adventurous twist to it's styling.<<<

I'm a BIG fan of the Qashqai comrade, one of the very few cars on the road these days that does anything for me, I drive an Almera 1.8SE auto at the mo - had it 2.5 years now, 100% reliable, quite economical and does what it says on the tin ... even the Note is an excellent concept from Nissan IMO.
Have they sorted the back seats out now so that they fold flat? >>

I doubt it can be done. If you look at the external body shape you can probably see why. Headroom in the rear isn't great either but I knew that before I bought it.

I've got a 2.0 petrol CVT (there's no auto option on the 1.6 and you have to have 4WD on the diesel auto which may or may not have problems with the DPF) and it goes along very nicely. I expect the performance to continue to improve.

The rear view isn't perfect but it's actually quite a small car so with parking sensors there isn't a problem parking it and overall rear visibility with wing mirrors is fine.

The design continues to grow on me and the doors shut with that pleasingly solid clunk. While it's not a Range Rover there is a feeling of sitting slightly above the traffic. It handles well.

Forgot to say the one extra I ordered was the glass roof. Really makes a difference but you can cover the whole thing up if you choose.

New Private Owner - First Impressions - ijws15
Note is not a Nissan concept - it is a re-badged Renault Modus.
>>> Note is not a Nissan concept - it is a re-badged Renault Modus <<<

Hardly! but it is *based* on the Modus/Clio floorpan.
>> >>> Mmm not exactly a ringing endorsement for the QQ this thread! <<<
The Qashqai is very reliable especially in petrol form the Renault sourced diesels have been
known to cause problems mainly concerning particulate filters.

I wasn't just talking about reliability... its supposed to be a car for use in the "city" but rearward vision is compromised... someone mentioned a bad gearbox, the list goes on... reliability isn't everything!
Rearward vision is compromised in loads of cars because of the upswept design towards the rear and the smaller window in the hatchback.

I'm not sure what it is coming at you in the city that would cause a problem. With the rear and door mirrors I think rearward vision is generally ok. Have you driven the car, b308?

How many cars get a "ringing endorsement" on here? For everyone who loves, say, the new Hyundai range someone else will point out that the interior is a bit cheap; even Mercs get trashed by some posters and they've not exactly got a poor reputation generally.

All cars have a list that could go on and while reliability may not be everything, tell that to the bloke whose car persistently fails to start in cold weather, because it's quite a lot!

I'm not sure what it is coming at you in the city that would cause
a problem. With the rear and door mirrors I think rearward vision is generally ok.
Have you driven the car b308?

Nope, but I have looked closely at it, and didn't like the rearward vision so didn't go any further... In city or town driving I feel that good all round and especially rear vision is a priority, mirrors have too many blind spots, but...

Everyone has different priorities!
After 25K in mine, I can honestly say the (lack of) rear vision has never been an problem.
New Private owner - First impressions - Alf Romeo

the white vans that cut their way through the traffic seem to do oK with no rear vision & just side mirrors. Seems to be a cult of drivers who prefer to look over their shoulders than use the rear view/side mirrors to reverse, maybe they are the ones signaling with their arms as they don't trust the indicators...

I wasn't just talking about reliability... its supposed to be a car for use in
the "city" but rearward vision is compromised... someone mentioned a bad gearbox the list goes
on... reliability isn't everything!

I will be totally honest with you regarding rear visibility from my experience. I sold my 2006 Ford Focus to purchase my QQ, and reversing into parking spaces is much better than the Focus. The rear window on the Focus is almost horizontal making parking guesswork at the best of times, obviously not an issue for many motorists as it sells by the bucket load and is used by many driving schools.
The majority of owners will not have a problem with rear vision, again lets not single out Nissan as even prestige makes like the Bentley GT has compromised vision. Regarding poor gearboxes again IMHO it has not got the snappy short throw of the Focus but it is still slick and precise, I have no complaints in this department.
Yes someone may have had an early model or Friday afternoon car with unacceptable quality, but if you check out problems with so called prestigious makes Nissan still produces quality cars for sensible money.
My work involves driving a Mercedes Sprinter van all day in London, all you have to aid reversing is the wing mirrors, again it means that you just use a bit of extra caution and sound your horn when about to reverse.
Would I buy another Qashqai? Without doubt yes!

OK my Qashqai is three years old now. It's a 1.6 Acenta (57 plate)

Mileage is low as I had two back operations in 2008 which meant I didn't get around much that year.

The car hasn't been perfect but then again I'v e never come across on from new that has.

I've had:-

1. 2 x sets of rear shockers.

2. Can't get out or in of of the vehicle when it's really cold as the front doors freeze shut. Had to climb over seats and out of back which doesn't help when you've had spinal surgery.

3. Rattling cat cover which had come loose.

4. Front wheel bearing drone and had to be replaced.

5. 2 x alloy wheels corroded

All above done under warrany which runs out soon. No. 2 has not been mentioned or sorted yet.

It's done 18k and still on origianl tyres. Car is excellent despite the above and I would have no hesitation is recomending one. Most of my travel is local and it returns 37mpg (according to the car itself). 50 mpg on a motorway run. It's relatively underpowered but not an issue for me. Really well put together car and I like it. As a private owner I'm not sure whether to keep it or chamge when it comes up to its third birthday.

Things that I like are:-

1. My 17 year son loves it :)

2. It feels really well made.

3. Absorbs the bumps better than anything I've owned.

4. High driving position is great.

5. Relatively cheap to buy and run.

6. It's practical yet different.

I wish that they had designed the rear lid to rise higher :( it sits lower than any car I've ever known which is criminal for a car this tall. At 6' 4" I've banged my head more than once.

Halmer

Edited by Halmer on 17/10/2010 at 17:49

New Private Owner - First Impressions - Vincent de Marco
Only 18k on the clock and replaced shocks, not to menton front wheel bearing, alloys corrosion and freezing front doors ? That’s a lemon if yo ask me…

Every new car that I've ever had, and I've had a few, has been a lemon then.

New Private Owner - First Impressions - Ethan Edwards

I can imagine the QQ 1.6 petrol is indeed a bit underpowered. The very same engine ,1.6 petrol is great for my little Note but a honking great heavy QQ? Waaay to small for my taste.

Have to agree lemon mate.

I've had many new cars over the years and that sounds like a huge amount of repairs to me for just 18K miles. My Xtrail has just had to have the alloys re-furbed after 7 years and 40K. SWMBO thought they didn't need it but I am more fussy. Still on original shocks and two of the original tyres (5mm left). Only just changed the pads and disks this year. The dealer was surprised as it's a 2.5 Auto big heavy car. Drive it smoothly, don't curb the alloys and regular cleaning kept them good. Still on the original wheel bearings etc. Yep you got hosed mate.

Naaah you're wrong me old fruit. Talking out of your bottom

New Private Owner - First Impressions - piggy

We have a chap at work who bought a brand new,diesel powered one about two years ago. Nothing but trouble from day one.Various problems,had new rear shocks at about 10k,then had low oil light showing for about thirty seconds before it went out. He had this car serviced at a Nissan dealer bang on schedule,checked the oil etc. Nissan could not find the problem and needless to say he sold it and was glad to see the back of it. Possibly the bean counters have got hold of Nissan in recent years.I had a `93 Primera from almost new,excellent car.

Sorry but 30 years of driving and eleven cars bought from new disagree's with you Halmer.

I've had Fords, Nissans, Fiats and Citroens and three SEAT' s that have each covered more than your 18K mileage with NO faults whatsoever NO wheel bearings, NO replacement shocks etc.

Last time I bought a set of shocks (many years ago) it was for a BMW323i and that was 10 years old at the time. The original ones still passed an MOT but I wanted to lower the suspension and so put new springs on it. New shocks were done at the same time. Please note that was a choice not a necessity.

As I said current motors are a 2003 X trail -original shocks and bearings at 43K and a 2010 Note that replaced a well worn 80K 02 X-Picasso - on original shocks/ bearings.

So if there's volume from an orifice mate..please look closer to home.

New Private Owner - First Impressions - AnotherWaiting

Halmer, I can't understand how you don't think thats rubbish given that you have only covered 18k miles in three years. Perhaps as you say every car you have ever had has been a lemon (must be the case) so your expectations are being met!.

I have had many new cars over the years from Ford, Mazda, Alfa & Lotus and not had such an experience. (yes! even with the Lotus).

Edited by AnotherWaiting on 20/10/2010 at 21:05

New Private Owner - First Impressions - Rodger

I have just seen a G reg Nissan Bluebird and it still looks tidy after all these years! I had one and it was built like a tank. Does not sound like the Qash is going to be around that long!

I thought Nissan was going to up the Renault quality not bring Nissans down.

Maybe my expectations started from a low base given my experiences to date.

My wifes 6 1/2 year old 1.2 Fiat Punto has hardly missed a beat ironically at 50,000 plus miles.

Thanks for the interest and comments. Some valid points and food for thought ta.