Clutch snatching - Pablo23
I've been driving for over 10 years, including various vehicles from work without any problems. I recently acquired a Mondeo III but, can't get used to the clutch!! it stalls very easily when setting off, it needs at least 2000 revs, and changing gear is as smooth as driving over a speed bump unless I ride the clutch. No other car I've driven is anything like this; is this a characteristic or a mechanical problem? (still got 2 months on the warranty!)
Clutch snatching - cheddar
Is it a diesel, if so it takes s little getting used to, to balance stalling against taking off at full boost that being said I got used to mine in a matter of days and have probably only stalled it hald a dozen times in nearly 125k miles.

Worth asking the dealer about if under warranty (though if clutch wear usually not covered by warranty).

Edited by cheddar on 29/11/2007 at 09:23

Clutch snatching - kithmo
The TDCi has a second spring on the clutch pedal, to make it less effort to press, due to diesel clutches being heavier. The problem is however that, to most people, the point where the spring assist comes in and the spring cushioning on the Dual mass Flywheel feels like the point of clutch contact and results in a strange feel to the clutch, a bit like having 2 contact points. This results in a snatchy clutch and takes some getting used to. I find that always setting off in 1st gear (even where you would normally use 2nd) helps.
After driving the TDCi I now find that when I am driving other cars their clutch feels like it's slipping until I get used to it.
P.S. It's smoother with the Aircon off as well.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
Clutch snatching - TurboD
or you could be ready for a new DNF/clutch £900?
better check now- but probably not covered by warranty
Clutch snatching - Collos25
Mondeos of this model have one of the smoothest softest clutches I have ever used any snathing then read TurboD answer the reason why most mondeos of a certain milage are for sale are for sale £900 is a good price I have seen people pay £1200,the best secdhand Mondeo is the 1.8 petrol chain cam no turbo and easy to work on.
No - it is true that it takes a little getting used to to balance stalling against taking off at full boost, I remember when I first drove a TDCi, a 48 hour demo Zetec S, early 2002, it took sometime to get used to the clutch, hence it was easier when I got my own and is now second nature. Reckon some people take longer to acclimatise.

Re the petrols, the 2.0 is better, feels much more lively and no less economical.
Clutch snatching - Collos25
I would agree but the 1.8 is as cheap as chips.
Clutch snatching - NARU
After three years/70,000 miles of driving a tdci, I still stall it at least twice a month. I don't remember doing this with any other car (including other diesels). My wife hates driving the car for just this reason.
To both Marlot and the OP its is worth getting the clutch pedal position sensor checked.

This cuts the cruise control when the clutch is depressed amongst other things, in doing so it interacts with the fly-by-wire throttle so could in theory - if out of adjustment - not be allowing enough throttle at the biting point.
Clutch snatching - Aprilia
I have occassionally had these as rental cars in Europe (LHD). I can guarantee to stall at least once a day. The only other car I keep stalling is the Suzuki Swift, which I drive very occassionally and has a high bite point.
Clutch snatching - toba
I fully agree with Marlot. I have driven 40k and I still stall the car 3 or 4 times a week and it is a 'violent' stall. completely ruins an otherwise decent car and just like Marlot my wife hates driving the car for this reason alone. My godson had a similar car with the 'stalling' problem and Ford ftted a new clutch under warranty and he said it did improve marginally. Spoke to local Ford agent they said not aware of any such problem!
Ask the dealer to look at adjusting or replacing the clutch pedal position sensor.