Trailer questions (switch, payload, number plate). - FotheringtonThomas
I've come by a little 5'x3' trailer, plywood and angle iron. Questions:

Inside the car is a switch for the trailer lights. It's got "Manual", "Auto", "Sensor off" positions. What are these for?

How can I find out, or estimate, the payload? The bit which clips over the tow ball has "AT 750Kg" on it, and "S 75Kg" - are these maximum for the component? I find it hard to believe that the trailer is OK for 750Kg, and can't find another plate on it.

Do I need a car-type number plate, or can I make up a decent DIY one and be road-legal?
Trailer questions (switch, payload, number plate). - Screwloose
FT

AFAIK:-

That switch sounds more for the parking sensors than the lights.

The legal maximum weight for an unbraked[?] trailer is 750kg gross - but your car may not be allowed to pull unbraked trailers to that mass - what is it?

Tyres will often limit the gross weight of small trailers. What suspension units are fitted and what is on their plates?

The 75kg on the hitch is likely the noseweight.

Yes; you need a fully legal number plate visible.
Trailer questions (switch, payload, number plate). - FotheringtonThomas
That switch sounds more for the parking sensors than the lights.

I will try to find out from the chap I got it from.

your car (...) what is it?

This one's an old '95 Cavalier hatchback. The trailer is only 5'x3'ish.

Tyres will often limit the gross weight of small trailers.

Sterling remould on one side, no idea what's on the other (10" mini wheels).

What suspension units are fitted and what is on their plates?

Rubber in housing type ones, no ID on plate that I can see.

Yes; you need a fully legal number plate visible.

Drat. Are people often "done" for these iffy temporary jobs done with felt pens (or chalk!)?
Trailer questions (switch, payload, number plate). - Screwloose

A Cavalier should be able to manage the 400-500kg all-up weight of that trailer - that's a guess based on the typical gross of trailers with those Mini hubs and wheels - but bear in mind that stopping half a ton of unbraked trailer with a FWD car can cause jack-knifing on a slippery surface.

There should be a rating plate on the Indespension[?] units - or maybe cast into the [red?] plastic inner end cap. [Go grovel...]

If the trailer is under 100kg [2cwt] unladen, [unlikely] then different rules may apply re lights and number plate visibility.
Trailer questions (switch, payload, number plate). - Ruperts Trooper
145R 10 Mini tyres were Load Index 68, which would give a gross trailer weight of 568kg - the tyre industry recommends that trailer tyres aren't loaded beyond 90% of their rated capability.

That switched device is definitely not standard Vauxhall Cavalier. The unbraked trailer limit for '95 Cavaliers was 500-660kg, depending on model.
Trailer questions (switch, payload, number plate). - local yokel
I doubt it's strong enough to be 750kg laden

I have an Ifor William P6e with 145R13s www.iwt.co.uk/products/p6e.htm and it's 500 kg gross laden