2000 zetec 1.6 - Knock's when is clutch depressed - FFzetec1.6
Hi,

I have an annoying knock coming from what appears to be the steering column of my 2000 1.6 zetec. It is only apparent while the clutch is depressed and is most evident when cornering or on uneven road surfaces. It never happens when the clutch pedal is up, only when some pressure is applied to the pedal.

I can feel the knocking through the pedal and steering wheel and sounds like something has come loose and is knocking against something, but extensive poking around in the footwell, engine bay and steering column has come up with nothing obvious.

Any ideas as to why this only happens when the clutch is pressed, and what might be causing it?

Many thanks.
2000 zetec 1.6 - Knock's when is clutch depressed - mikej
Not sure whether this is relevent, but the pedal box was a common cause of problems on Foci of that age.

My 1999 1.8i Zetec suffered from a 'clunking' noise from the pedal box when the clutch and brake pedals were pressed in a certain way - often when steering onto the drive and braking/selecting neutral, although it would happen at other times too.

The clunking could be heard and also felt through the pedals and possibly through the steering too, although I can't remember for sure.

From the web :

Problem: Knocking noise when braking, cornering or going over bumps from the pedal box area.

Solution: A common problem is the movement of internal parts in the pedal box. The solution is to fit reinforcement bars and/or a new pedal box.

2000 zetec 1.6 - Knock's when is clutch depressed - FFzetec1.6
Thanks mike, that seems to make a lot of sense.

Did you end up doing anything about it, or just live with the annoying clunking.

Do you know what they're talking about when they say 'fit a reinforcement bar'.

Cheers
2000 zetec 1.6 - Knock's when is clutch depressed - mikej
Embarrassingly enough, I can't remember as it was so long ago !

It was definitely out of the warranty when it started, so I remember thinking I would have probably needed to prove it was a design fault (far easier these days, thanks to useful forums like this and the odd TSB knocking about online)

I think I might have just left it and the problem gradually went away as the car got older - either that or I just got used to it over time - it certainly doesn't 'clunk' like it used to.

The reinforcement bar was supposed to stop the bulkhead flexing (which is what causes the clunk), but they did alter the design of the pedal box too.

I think there was a useful 'How To' on the FFOC site (which involved packing the pedal box securing bolts with grease as a quick-fix IIRC) but you'll need to pay to join to access those sections these days unforntunately. (Check focusowners.com forums too, in case I'm wrong and it was on there instead)

Check out these old threads for more clues :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=1439

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=1052&v...f