Motorpoint views - III
I live in the Glasgow area and was just wondering if Motorpoint are any good? I contacted them for a rough trade-in price but they never got back to me so now I am wondering if they are best avoided. They seem to have very good prices but I was wondering if the valuations on the trade-in car would be a bit low to compensate for their prices.
Motorpoint views - barchettaman
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49598

That should get you started.
Motorpoint views - Simon
From your post I guess that you either spoke to them on the phone or maybe emailed them for a trade-in value. Try taking the vehicle to them and they might be more willing to give you a figure.
Motorpoint views - Falkirk Bairn
I & 2 others in my street have bought 57 Reg Cras from Motorpoint Glasgow in the last 2 mths.

Ford Focus - Chap is happy with car £1200 less than the best at Henry's local emporium. He has had 1 problem - the clock worked fine until midnight and hung. He went to our local franchise - sharp intake of breath from the Service Man - but it was fixed immediately. He was asked why not buy here? (2 mls from home) - 1200 reasons - new car for £1200 less than a 5,000 mls 2nd hand car (06 Reg) on forecourt.

Skoda Octavia - I have seen it but I do not know the owner at all.

My own car was bought and deal sealed in 2 hours - knocked £500 off their asking price, got the same T/I as others offered and saved about £2500 on franchise's price.

NO messing about, did not look down his nose at my 7 yr old Honda, I was not ignored when my wife & I entered the showroom. All things we experienced in Franchised outlets

We were greeted asked what we were looking for - we were given keys and directions to find the models................... Paperwork was done, everything was tied up in 2 hours - we came back 1 week later and picked up the car (delay was getting my money out of the bank).

My son bought a VW golf in Oct 06 and he got his GTi for £18K inc Leather and upgraded wheels - sold it 2 mths ago for £16.5K in Autotrader with 9,000 on the clock. He had no problems with Motorpoint or his local VW garage to fix a minor issue.

Annoying issue - they take Deposit £300 on CC - but want a Cert Bank Cheque for the balance - they do not take Switch/Maestro for the balance (Cost £10 for cheque and had to queue at the bank for 30 minutes)
Motorpoint views - BobbyG
FB, is your car an import? IIRC that is how Motorpoint always made their cars cheaper? Will you lose out come trade in as a result (not really applicable if planning on keeping car for a few years).

Must admit I prefer their Glasgow showroom to the ones adjacent to it!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Motorpoint views - III
Thanks for your views they have been very helpful. I might pop in and have a look.

My eldest sons' imported new BMW was £2500 cheaper when bought - sold it after 3 yrs and was knocked back by £500 on what it had been if UK car. £2k better off

My other son lost £1500 in 12 mths on new VW Golf GTi - paid £18K sold for £16.5K - could not say he lost anything on being an import. UK 2nd hand cars sold at £18K but cost £21+K

My car was £16K (£22K list best franchise was ~£20K - keep it 4/5 years and condition is more important than import or UK car - it will only be worth say £6K as T/I

It should be immaculate, (2 drivers only, washed & polished, never raced/rallied, serviced on time etc) as all my cars have been, I do not plan to abuse the car.
Motorpoint views - Robert J.
Watch out for the optional extras as well. My mate bought a used mini from Derby and was very pleased with the deal he got, but he somehow agreed to pay for 'euro plates', which turned to mean they removed the plates from a well-known BMW dealer and replaced them with motorpoint versions (and he had to pay for this as well). Still a good deal though, but it took the gloss off it a bit. Be prepared for the hard sell over the finance as well. Even if you are paying with your savings, they still try and force it on you.
Motorpoint views - mikeyb
Bought a car from Derby about 4 years ago. Deal was OK, but the admin fee and "new plates" did take the shine of things. I did try arguing that I didnt want new plates as the ones fitted were fine, but they were havingnone of it. At the time they were the ccheapest place.

Now I look on their website and I dont think they are so much cheaper. My local VW dealer can match them for price on passatsplus I can haggle over the screen price, mats, tank of fuel etc. Dont think MP would budge on price.

>>Dont think MP would budge on price.

Chose to go on 27th month - £500 off Screen Price -

I said I wanted a full tank - they said they did not stock fuel
I said I wanted Manuf Mats - we do not do mats

I got £50 off for fuel and £35 for mats after 20 mins haggling after T/I and £500 off screen price had been agreed

If you do not ask you will never know what you missed out on.
Motorpoint views - dnc1781
What Car? Guide to 27 car supermarkets inc. Motorpoint Glasgow:
tinyurl.com/yvbbhu
Motorpoint views - Jes
I visted the Derby site to look at Zafiras.. Excellent prices, but they didn't have the colour I wanted (was due in later that week)... Returned home (Leigh-on-Sea) to a local VX dealer and secured a vehicle (same age, spec, mileage) for the same money after flashing the MP brouchure at the salesman....
Motorpoint views - Marc
They would have had to change the plates in both instances surely as I was under the impression that plates must display the supplying dealer ie Motorpoint

Most dealers seem to charge extra for GB plates as opposed to plain ones.

As least they don't do that cheap trick of putting a bit of tape over the original dealers details - that does look rubbish
Motorpoint views - Vansboy
As least they don't do that cheap trick of putting a bit of tape over
the original dealers details - that does look rubbish

Agreed!

I always had our sales stock re=plated, with our name on them.

It's the first part of the vehicle a buyer looks at & always made us look more professional. I think.

VB