Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - L'escargot
During the Christmas/New Year period I'm going to have to make a significant length journey with a full load of five people which will require the rear tyre pressures to be increased from 32 psi to 46 psi. The airline at the nearest petrol station is expected to be out of order until a refit in January so I have to make alternative arrangements. I've done a test with my footpump and it took a tiring 250 strokes to do just one tyre, so I'm not keen on that one.

Could you recommend an electrically powered pump? I don't want anything too expensive because it won't get used that often.
--
L\'escargot.
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - daveyjp
The best electric pump I had was the Audi supplied one in the A2. Only ever used once on a colleague's flat tyre but I was impressed at how quickly it went from totally flat to 35PSI - less than a minute. With so many cars not fitted with spares I'm sure this sort of thing will crop up on e-bay now and again.

I now have a £3 pump bought from a trade warehouse which is satisfactory for what you need - they are widely available.
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - martint123
These have had fairly good writeups in the "online deals" websites. You end up with a jump starter at the end as well.
www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=49038&C=Mapl...1
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - bell boy
46psi is a lot ,what vee-icle?
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - cheddar
SAFETY ISSUE - NOTE:

The 46 psi will be the recommended pressure when loaded to the max, simply loading the car from empty to 5 people and a boot full will increase the pressure somewhat, I would pump to 40psi max and then, once fully loaded, stop at the first filling station with an airline on the way to check it.

If you pre-inflate to 46psi the tyres will be over inflated once loaded and *may* exceed the max specified pressure for that tyre.

Edit: Re the out-of-order airline, why not simply go to another filling station?

Edited by cheddar on 19/11/2007 at 11:14

Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - Number_Cruncher
>>simply loading the car from empty to 5 people and a boot full will increase the pressure somewhat

Any ideas of by how much?

Number_Cruncher
SNIPQUOTE!
Any ideas of by how much?

Not without working it out, wouldn't want to steal your thunder NC ;-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/11/2007 at 19:01

>>wouldn't want to steal your thunder

Don't mind me! (but please do show your working)

Number_Cruncher
SNIPQUOTE!
I've not got the time now though perhaps you do have the time to articulate your apparent scepticism NC?

Regards.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/11/2007 at 19:04

PS: Just to say there are three main factors here:

1/ If you inflate to the max load pressure when unloaded then when you load the pressure will be too high.

2/ The main reason for increased pressure is to maintain the tyre's dynamic charateristics under increased load.

3/ Standard pressures when loaded will cause undue deflection in the tyre sidewall which can cause the tyre to overheat.
>>If you inflate to the max load pressure when unloaded then when you load the pressure will be too high.

At these pressures, you will be pushed to measure the difference. IMO, this is a non-issue.

Here's an example; for a 185 by 14, assuming a (large!) 1 inch extra deflection, you get a 2% pressure rise. On 40 psi, this is 0.4 psi, which is too small to be measured by a garage gauge, which I wouldn't trust to better than plus/minus 2 psi anyway.
width=185;
aspect=70;
rim=14;
deflect=25.4e-3;
OR=((rim*25.4e-3/2)+(width*(aspect/100)/1000));
IR=rim*25.4e-3/2;
tyre_vol=pi*(OR^2-IR^2)*(width/1000);
half_theta=acos((OR-deflect)/OR);
area_segment=pi*(OR^2)*(2*half_theta/(2*pi));
area_triangle=(OR-deflect)*OR*sin(half_theta);
area_deflect=area_segment-area_triangle;
vol_deflect=area_deflect*width/1000;
percentage_pressure_rise=(vol_deflect/tyre_vol)*100

percentage_pressure_rise =

Number_Cruncher
IMO this is a non-issue.

Very good NC as always though where to you get you figures from? Surely a 1" deflection will not give a constant in respect of pressure, it depends on the characteristisc of the side wall, varying thicknesses will deflect differently under load, i.e. an "extra load" tyre will deflect less under a given load at a given pressure, there are surely many other variables to account for.

Aside from pressure increase it is certainly NOT a non-issue for the reasons given in my points 2/ and 3/ above.

Regards.
Your point about pressure in the tyre rising with load IS a non issue. The rate of pressure increase is so small as to be negligible.

>>where to you get you figures from?

As always, I've quoted them at the top of the calc - if you want to use different input numbers, the calc is there.

I've avoided having to look at tyre stiffness (and all the other variables by considering the deflection directly - if I included stiffness in these calcs, I'd be double counting. In that respect, my calc is a little cunning (even if I say so myself!)

I'm not arguing that you don't need to raise the pressure when carrying a load, I am aware of the influence of tyre pressure on tyre response characteristics. I just don't believe (and beside my calc, it has also not been my experience**) that tyre pressures on cars go up significantly when you load the car.

The first few times that I mended punctures for people, I would set the tyres pressure imediately after re-inflating the tyre. I initially thought that putting the weight of the car on the tyre would change the pressure, so I checked them again after fitting - I found no-change. My rough calc bears this out.

Number_Cruncher
The effect of tyre deflection on overheating is also vital.
The effect of tyre deflection on overheating is also vital.

Indeed, which is why, IMO and IME, it's much safer to be over-inflated rather than under. Obviously, it's best to be correct, but, if there's an error, I would be happier with it resulting in over-inflation.

Number_Cruncher
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - Dynamic Dave
what vee-icle?

Ford Focus, IIRC.
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - rogue-trooper
I have a Halford's digital tyre pump as well as buying a pencil gauge to make sure that it was accurate (which it was). Think it cost £25 iirc.
I don't want anything too expensive because it won't get used that often.

Why? I check my tyre pressure the whole time.
well i cant find any reference that says put 46psi in the tyres,i have that pressure in my commercial tyres with reinforced sidewalls i dont think i would want it on a foc-i

Edited by bell boy on 19/11/2007 at 13:29

Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - ForumNeedsModerating
I've never seen a % increase of this magnitude recommended in any car for full loading.
A typo?
>>A typo?

Not completely unbeleivable, see;

www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/tyrepressures_ford....l

Number_Cruncher
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - Stuartli
>>A typo?>>

My Bora's rear tyres are supposed to be raised from 2.1 bar (32psi) to 2.8 bar (45psi) with a full load of passengers and luggage.

Never done it yet...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - Ruperts Trooper
Vauxhall Astra-G '98-'04 rear tyres should be increased from 28 solo to 42 laden or towing.
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - pendulum
A similar thread came up recently L'escargot. Maybe you could use search next time. :o)

tinyurl.com/25kakc

Plenty of suggestions there.
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - daveyjp
My A3 has a 'standard' inflation of 41 PSI all round. I've never had the need to increase to max load level.
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - ForumNeedsModerating
Well, I'm now on the 3rd mouthful of my hat... learn something every day!

As a supplementary question: why do cars have such a variation on tyre pressures from 'normal' load to max. load? Is it more to do with the % increase the extra load is compared to the overall vehicle weight, i.e. it's more on %-wise on a small car than a big car?
(and hence pro-rata the tyre deflection)
>>i.e. it's more on %-wise on a small car than a big car?

I think there's quite a lot of truth in that, especially on a front wheel drive car that doesn't have any particularly heavy parts at the back, and also has a very small rear overhang.

Number_Cruncher
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - Screwloose

The other thing to remember is that the higher pressure must be able to cope with a max legal rear axle load and being driven for hours down an autobahn, at V-max, with the road temperature in the high 140s.

Not conditions likely to be encountered in the UK over X-mess. [Unless that Global Warming can really do abrupt changes...]
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - Aprilia
Its believable that the pressure does need to be increased to 46psi - but check the tyre rating plate on the car or in the handbook. Also check the tyre sidewall for 'max inflation pressure' data. Most EU-market tyres are 44psi or 51 psi max., although some extra-load (XL) are higher. The tyres fitted may not be the OE spec tyres. Most tyres reach maximum load capacity at about 40-42psi, although higher pressures may be used to limit sidewall deflection and hence heating of the carcass.

Tyre pressures do not measurably change when loaded (there's some straightforward physics behind that statement - think about it).
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - adverse camber
without wanting to get into argument with the expert numbers people lest I embarrass myself badly...

My thinking is that Pressure . Area = Force

Assuming that the contact area is desired to be constant then F/P should be constant. So I guess weight distribution needs taking into account but assuming that a focus has little weight over the rear wheels, slapping three rear passengers + luggaeg in the back is likely to merit a substantial extra downwards force.

I know that the tyre has a full circumference/ total surface area etc, but the weight of the car is dealt with only by the contact patch, No?
ac, I think you're generally right on all counts.

The increase in tyre pressure that you apply when running laden is to restore overall levels of tyre deflection and contact patch shape and area to close to their nominal levels.

The discussion above between cheddar and I is over a more subtle and esoteric point (IMO!).

Number_Cruncher
The increase in tyre pressure that you apply when running laden is to restore overall
levels of tyre deflection and contact patch shape and area to close to their nominal
levels.

Agreed 100% for reasons previously stated.

However there is surely more to the pressure v load scenario, stiffness and elasticity of the tyre walls are critical, after all if the tyre were made of, say, steel then extra load would have no effect on the tyre at all and hence no effect on the contact area, the deflection or the pressure, on the otherhand it would be feasable to have a thin walled elastic tyre that would maintain a normal profile at a nominal load though would completely deform with an increased load.

So stiffness and elasticity surely has to be accounted for in the area, load, pressure equation?
>>So stiffness and elasticity surely has to be accounted for in the area, load, pressure equation?

Not really - although I do know what you mean (and laboured under the same misapprehension myself for a long time!)

The stiffness of the sidewalls themselves is low compared with the stiffness of the inflated assembly. If you try to flex the sidewall of a car tyre when it's off the rim, you'll know there's no inherent stiffness there.

In this context, the only important thing a tyre does is not to expand like un-reinforced rubber material - it gains flexural stiffness by virtue of the air pressure within.

Number_Cruncher

The stiffness of the sidewalls themselves is low compared with the stiffness of the inflated assembly. If you try to flex the sidewall of a car tyre when it's off
the rim you'll know there's no inherent stiffness there.

>>

Agreed.

In this context the only important thing a tyre does is not to expand like
un-reinforced rubber material - it gains flexural stiffness by virtue of the air pressure within.

As does a party balloon though that is very elastic, my point is that as tyre must have some elasticity, not as much as the un-reinforced rubber material you mention though much more that the steel example I gave before.
>>my point is that as tyre must have some elasticity

Yes, but whether or not that elasticity is important or not depends upon how much load it takes compared with other load paths in the system. In this case, the sidewall flexure isn't dominant - the radial load is borne by the air, all the tyre is doing, is containing that air.

When you are cornering or braking, then the sidewall has a more dominant role to play.

Another way to consider it is even for the same material, you can have comparative flexibility even while the material is comparatively inextensible.

Number_Cruncher
Yes but whether or not that elasticity is important or not depends upon how much
load it takes compared with other load paths in the system. In this case the
sidewall flexure isn't dominant - the radial load is borne by the air all the
tyre is doing is containing that air.

Yes NC though surely its ability to contain the air is defined by its elasticity as opposed to stiffness? Hence both are important factors.
>>is defined by its elasticity as opposed to stiffness?

Both words describe the same thing - there's no difference. Neither are hugely important in this case.

So far, I've presented some practical experience, an argument and a calc (which errs on the safe side), and Aprilia has stated that the pressure doesn't measurably depend on loading. What more do you want?

Number_Cruncher

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 20/11/2007 at 10:49

Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - Stuartli
My A3 has a 'standard' inflation of 41 PSI all round. I've never had the

need to increase to max load level.>>

Must be high speed (sometimes also labelled Extra Load) tyres.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by

Edited by Stuartli on 19/11/2007 at 18:29

Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - milkyjoe
what pressure would one need in the spare then? as its not under load when its being checked/inflated in the wheel well
what pressure would one need in the spare then?

I tend to set the spares a few psi above the highest front/rear pressure for normal use.

As the pressure won't change (measurably!) when you fit it, there's no problem.

Number_Cruncher
I keep the spare at the max pressure as moulded on the tyre wall - I always carry a tyre pressure gauge so I can just reduce it, when fitted, to the required pressure. As the laden/towing pressure is near the tyre's maximum I don't need to worry about increasing the pressure if I need to use the spare when laden/towing.
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - PhilW
"a full load of five people which will require the rear tyre pressures to be increased from 32 psi to 46 psi. "

Please bear with me in my total ignorance, but I have never owned a car that needs more than 2lb per Sq in increase between usual and fully loaded. Taking this in my logical way, but which may not be very logical, if you have to increase pressure by 14lb etc for 4 passengers (ie about 3.5 lbs per extra passenger) does this mean that if you have one passenger you should increase pressure by 3.5, if 2 passengers by 7lbs, etc., etc. Sounds a lot of trouble
Or does this extra pressure just come into effect when you have 4 passengers and not be needed when there are 3??
Just seems odd to me.
Or have I had too much red wine??

--
Phil
Please bear with me in my total ignorance but I have never owned a car
that needs more than 2lb per Sq in increase between usual and fully loaded.
Phil

Do you read your vehicle's handbook? Most ordinary cars have a significant variation between "normal" and fully laden/towing.

On the other hand, many 4x4s and trucks just have one set of pressures issued by the manufacturer.
..... L'escargot. Maybe you could use search next time.

I've retracted my head into my shell in embarrassment!
--
L\'escargot.
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - dnc1781
Air compressors tested here:
tinyurl.com/2uvwhl
Thanks dnc1781, that's very useful.
--
L\'escargot.
Sorry if i missed it then?

does the foci have 46psi fully laden then or what old chaps?
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - tyro
PhilW has asked a question that puzzles me as well.

I would have expected handbooks to say something like:

If the total weight of driver, passengers and luggage is less than 100 kg, then inflate tyres to 30psi.

If 100 to 150 kg, then 31 psi
If 150 to 200 kg, then 32 psi
If 200 to 250 kg, then 33 psi,
etc.

or something like that.
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - Bill Payer
I would have expected handbooks to say something like:

In theory that's reasonable - but a couple of pounds in neither here nor there. The average air-line gauge isn't likely to be that accurate, so it's only worth making changes in quite big steps.
does the foci have 46psi fully laden then or what old chaps?

It depends a bit on the car model and tyre size, but for mine (195/60 R15) the handbook says .......... Normal load up to 3 persons 32 front 32 rear. Full load more than 3 persons 32/34* front 46 rear. *Vehicles with diesel engines.

It doesn't say anything about boot/luggage load.

--
L\'escargot.
Full load more than 3 persons 32/34* front 46 rear. *Vehicles with diesel engines.
It doesn't say anything about boot/luggage load.

"Full load" indcates luggage etc.
"Full load" indcates luggage etc.

So, of the two options, which would you choose for 5 persons no luggage?
--
L\'escargot.
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - Group B
So of the two options which would you choose for 5 persons no luggage?

What is the total weight of your three rear seat passengers? ;o)

You could put in 39psi as a halfway-house measure?
Increasing tyre pressure from 32 psi to 46 psi - Group B
Air compressors tested here:
tinyurl.com/2uvwhl

I have one of those "ITC 12-132 Truck And SUV Compressor" tested there, mine looks exactly the same but is branded as 'Challenge'.
It works for me, not had to use it much but it seems to inflate quickly.

Got mine on eBay new for £16 inc. postage. I was going to post a link to Ebay but there dont seem to be any on there at the moment.

Some people tend to moan about these compressors, but there are some cheap carp ones about and some better ones; my dad had one that would struggle to inflate an airbed!

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 20/11/2007 at 11:05

Increasing tyre pressure (32 psi to 46 psi) update - L'escargot
Well, on the basis of it being the January 2007 Auto Express Best Buy, I bought a Halfords Rapid Digital Inflator. I've tested it and it pumped a 195/60 R15 tyre from 32 psi to 46 psi in just under 4 minutes. The digital pressure reading jumped up and down a bit when it was pumping (although that's probably of no real importance) and I can't get the hose to rewind into the case. Other than that I'm reasonably satisfied with it. It certainly beats using a footpump although I'll probably continue with the footpump for normal topping-up purposes, if only for the exercise.

I bought it online (£4.99 delivery), it arrived in three days, and I was able to track the progress.

--
L\'escargot.
Increasing tyre pressure (32 psi to 46 psi) update - normd2
not sure I'd fancy inflated digits.... :)