Say I want a MINI, but..... - Happy Blue!
I was a passenger in the MINI Cooper S (Mk 1 - 2006 version) this weekend. I have read all the problems and complaints about the car, but you can't deny that it is a fancy vehicle with lots of style. I also found that despite being low, it was easy to get into and out of - something which I think is a major plus for me.

This is hypothetical, but if you take depreciation into account, there can't be many cars that match it for practicality and value for money. It's that 'cachet' thing - Yes a Suzuki Swift is a good looker and drives well, but it doesn't have the same performance nor the eye-candy appeal that keeps residuals high.

Anyway, being aware of all the negative comments about it, what could I buy to get the same blend of style, value and performance of a MINI Cooper, but without the rough engines and supposedly poor reliability?

Say I want a MINI, but..... - nick1975
Without getting into exotica, current MX-5 and Golf GTI spring to mind

I agree with your view that there is a strong rational argument for a Cooper S if you are looking for this type of car

Next year? Hot Fiat 500, maybe
Say I want a MINI, but..... - Pugugly {P}
Skod sorry Golf for me, this comes from years of faultless performance from a MINI, which we loved, get a GTi, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/11/2007 at 20:29

Say I want a MINI, but..... - Citroënian {P}
Style is such a personal thing, but the obvious choice for me is a Skod current Legacy saloon. Very understated and a flying machine with the right spec. Not in fashion, but then unlikely to go out of fashion either.

Just watching the clubman adverts on TV tonight, they're looking a bit jaded now, a long way from the MINI adventure days.

Upcoming style for me, hands down is the FIAT 500 but with a Microsoft sticker on its USB slot and FIAT on its boot - reliability? Short term should hold its value in my mind.

That said, if you want bomb proof residuals, great driving, cachet and a thrill to drive, find a Boxster!
----------
Dahonist

Edited by Citroënian {P} on 14/11/2007 at 21:46

Say I want a MINI, but..... - Avant
On the Mini 'noise on cold start' thread, Aprilia was suggesting, with some justification, that there were better cars for the money. I asked what he thought those were - perhaps that should have come on this thread.

Are we looking for a small, nippy, fun-to-drive car that would do the same job better? If so, I can think of - Suzuki Swift 1.5, Mazda 2 1.5 and Toyota Yaris 1.3. Maybe Fiat Panda 100 bhp?

But the Mini holds its value better than any of those through clever marketing of it as a sort of 'cult car'; maybe Fiat can manage this with the 500, although the road tests of the 1.4 I've seen don't think it's as much fun to drive as it looks.

Some early Mini mark 1's were unreliable, and the same seems to be happening with the mark 2. Let's hope they sort out the teething problems as they did last time: SWMBO's 06-registered Mini One has been fine so far, touch wood.

Edited by Avant on 14/11/2007 at 22:05