2002 - 1.8 petrol, Oil Consumption - jimbob_228
My Focus is using an excessive amount of engine oil. Every 1000 miles the oil level on the dipstick falls from Maximum to Minimum and obviously requires topping up once again. The car has done 109000 miles, at such a high mileage I would expect some use of oil but not this much. I have checked around the engine for leaks and not found any. There is no oil dropping down from the engine on to the floor (even put sheet of cardboard under engine overnight to detect any oil leak drips). There are no visable signs of oil being burnt out of the exhaust and no smell of burning oil inside the car. The car is running normally performance wise except for some engine 'pinking' under load at low revs.I am confused as to a possible cause of this problem, has anyone had a similar problem or can suggest anything please?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/11/2007 at 20:50

2002 - 1.8 petrol, Oil Consumption - kithmo
It could be down to the grade of engine oil. The Ford recommedation of 5W30 Semi-synthetic should be ok when the engine is in A1 condition, but at 109K I would be tempted to up the grade to a 5W40 which will maintain the quick circulation at cold startup but will give the oil a little more viscosity at normal engine temperature and more than likely less volatility, meaning less oil will burn off.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
2002 - 1.8 petrol, Oil Consumption - Screwloose
jimbob

There have been oil consumption issues with that engine. They were often run in on full synthetic, which stopped some of them bedding-in the rings and they will always use a bit of oil.

One litre per 1000 miles isn't desperate - just keep it topped up, as the last one I saw do this was allowed to run out of oil and these can't be rebuilt.

The new engine was properly commissioned and doesn't use a drop, but a few litres of oil would have been a lot cheaper.....