53 reg 130 TDi PD - VW Oil, what spec? - BMDUBYA
Bit of an emergency, my oil light came on this morning (5.30) as I was on my way to train station. bit surprised as I check my oil once a month and last time didnt notice anything untoward, also only had a service two months ago. The car is a 53 MK4 Golf 130 TDI PD, I need to get some oil on the way home, can anyone tell me what the spec is please? I know that these engines can use oil sometimes, and I will deal with that issue after, unless its just a fluke and need to check more regularly, but I need to get home from the station tonight (50 mile journey)
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/11/2007 at 10:06

VW Oil - therim
i shouldn't worry about the sudden extra use. i've had that engine in both a Golf mark IV and an audi A4, and sometimes they did use a bit extra, but usually only 1 litre or so...now, the oil used to be called 'castrol longlife slxII' but i think it's now just called 'castrol longlife' and it does clearly say on it that it is for modern variable service VAG engines. you can buy it in most car parts places like halfords, or of course any VAG dealer i think it costs around £12/litre, so it's not cheap but unfortunately imperative for the variable servicing...just another point, i now drive an A6 2.7tdi, which uses the same oil and it cost £110 at it's service just for oil! OUCH!
VW Oil - nortones2
Any VW approved 505.01 oil, unless on the flexible service when its 506.01.
VW Oil - daveyjp
Castrol SLX is now Castrol Edge - it meets VAG 507 - which unsurprisingly supercedes 506 spec, but is suitable where 506 is specified. All Castrol edge packaging is the same so you have to check it's the right one, Mobil also do a version of the same oil.
VW Oil - 659FBE
In view of the confusion surrounding VAG oils (and the confused state of all their other documentation) it's very much better to buy oil by specification rather than by brand. Brand names get changed by marketing people who do not understand.

It's also very important not to abbreviate the VAG specification numbers by omitting the digits after the first group of 3. (Is "501" 501.00 or 501.01? There's a huge difference).

For the PD diesels (post 2000):

Fixed servicing: 505.01 will do.

Variable servicing: 506.01 or 507.00.

If the engine has a DPF fitted (does not apply to your model year) then 507.00 oil must be used.

If you shop around (not applicable to your situation) you can find Fuchs 507.00 oil on the Internet as cheaply as any of the others. I use 507.00 on a fixed basis. Failure to adhere to these specs will result in bad camshaft wear.

VW Oil - BMDUBYA
Thanks all. As I work a long way from home, I wasn't sure where the nearest VW garage was, luckily there is one nearby the office, well a taxi ride, so gave them a call and was quoted £70 for the longlife variable oil, which I know was used in my last service, so add the taxi fare on and this is going to be an expensive 'oversight'. I'll be popping into Halfords at the weekend to buy some additional oil. Thanks all once again in helping to clear up a confusing situation.
VW Oil - quizman
When you go to Halfords look for Castrol Edge 5W/30, on the can it will say it is for VW and Audi cars. I will also have the most important bit, 504/507 spec. As has been said by others, it is very important to use the correct spec oil.
4 Litres costs about £40-£45, 1 litre is about £12.50. This is quite expensive, but the engine only takes 4 litres and let's face it, it is a lovely powerful economic piece of kit!