year ???? - light / sticking clutch pedal - perleman
Hi all,
THis morning it was very cold (for the UK), prob just above freezing. The clutch pedal was light for the first few inches of travel & kind of 'stuck' half way up on return, and did return the whole way but felt lighter than normal. The car drove & performed fine, and as it warmed up the problem lessened but didn't completely go (after 40 mins / 25 miles driving). Any ideas?

Edited by Webmaster on 04/04/2008 at 01:38

light / sticking clutch pedal - dorset mark
I have a similar problem with my 04 986 S. The local Porsche dealership have bled the system , replaced both the master and slave cylinders (under extended warrenty) and it still does it, the last time was when I went to pick it up from the dealership! Did you ever get your sorted? Anyone else got any ideas?

Thanks
light / sticking clutch pedal - Number_Cruncher
I suspect this is a (lack of) development problem, and the viscosity of the clutch fluid is too high when cold, preventing the clutch diaphragm spring pushing the fluid back up to the master cylinder. I know that some other manufacturers have had very similar sounding trouble with hydraulic clutch operation in Scandanavian countries because of this problem, and were forced to make modifications to the system.

If there is a restrictive or orifice type damper in the system to prevent the transmission of noise and vibration into the cabin, this can cause a very great restriction at low temperatures when the clutch fuid is more viscous.

>>replaced both the master and slave cylinders (under extended warrenty) and it still does it,

Yes, I don't think there's a faulty component, I don't think there's any problem with the fluid, it's just that the system won't work properly with cold, viscous fluid.

I don't have any solutions to offer, but it might be worth hassling Porsche to see if they have any service bulletins which cover this issue - perhaps any country specific bulletins for colder countries which might not ordinarily be sent to the UK?

light / sticking clutch pedal - dorset mark
Follow up to my last post. After 5 attempts my local Porsche Dealer has fixed it. I should say that they have worked very hard, had the clutch out 3 times replaced both cylinders (one twice), flexible pipe, the whole clutch. Fortunately it was under warranty, but we had some awkward moments when the dealership thought it might be the clutch which is not covered by Porsche much vaunted warranty. My view was that if an unwarranted part required replacement, I would pay for the parts, but they should pay for the labour as they had inspected the clutch as part of another warranty repair ? the famous oil seal leak ? which I thought Porsche had fixed in 02/03 models. This was agreed by the dealership. Fortunately it never came to me having to pay for the clutch as they realised that even after they fitted it still didn?t fix the fault, so they replaced my old one. I should mention that Bournemouth Porsche were first class in their unrelenting efforts to fix this really annoying fault. They also lent me some really nice cars during the time (about 2 weeks in total) that they had my Boxster S, I had a Cayman S and a 987 Boxster. Thanks Porsche Bournemouth.

The Fix

Finally they found that the spring in the pedal box was 'twisted' they removed the spring and reassembled with the original spring and it worked fine. They say the spring cannot twist itself. I can only assume that this has been a problem with the car from new. I first noticed it not long after I bought the car, but the fault was very occasional, but more latterly the fault had become more regular. When I first described the fault I said it was very much like carpet stuck in the pedal mechanism or similar. I even mentioned the spring, but was told there is not one! So it appears that the spring in the pedal box may have been incorrectly assembled and the fault only appeared after sometime. Pedal action feels ?right? now.
Hope that anyone who has a similar problem finds this useful. Finally if this sounds similar to your problem, try the usual clutch bleeding, cylinder, hose clips first, as I think they are more common faults and likely to be cheaper fixes. I am told that getting to the pedal box is not easy and therefore likely to be expensive.

Mark