Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - oilrag
Back in the early 80s we could get an LA car loan as a car was required for the job. Only problem was it had to be British (before said LA got threatened with the EU court)

Given the starting salary, that was either a basic Fiesta or metro.

My 84 Fiesta Popular+ was the worst car I have ever owned.

2nd up from the even more `base` Popular, it still had a bare metal handbrake grip. Fun in that winter where the sea froze on the shore in Swansea bay.

Every ripple and slight mark on the road fed through into your body as you crawled in traffic.

Wracking up nearly 30,000 in that year before I offloaded it, the underneath of the floorpan was covered in rust starting from chips in the (allegedly) thin smear of paint over ungalvanised steel.

I overtook a gritter on the M4 one night and found myself touching up dozens of chips in the painted front valance below the bumper.

It seemed that if you were to fire a pea at the paint with a pea shooter, it would be a problem.

Regards

NB As some Fords were uk produced,we were `allowed` a Fiesta, even though it was made in spain

Edited by oilrag on 02/11/2007 at 16:24

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Big Bad Dave
As a self employed expat in Poland I have a reccurring nightmare that I'll lose one of my UK contracts and end up driving a brand new Renault Thalia or Dacia Logan.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - normd2
I had a big smash and before the insurance paid out couldn't afford to buy a car so a family friend gave me an Allegro, yes, 'square' wheel and all. You couldn't put more than 3 gallons in it as the fuel tank was rusting away and it used a sumpfull of oil every 40 or so miles. Stripped the engine two or three times and could never find the fault. So if you were ever stuck behind a blue mobile smoke-screen on the M8 in '84 - sorry, that was me!
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - jc2
But you did 30,000 in a year in it which is probably a lot better than some other cars would do.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - oilrag
fair enough:), and to be honest the only mechanical problem in that time was with both drive shafts.
It `felt` like more than 30,000 miles though...much more.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - OldSock
A 1442cc Talbot Horizon. Grimness of the grimmest kind :-(

The only car in which I've ever experienced brake fade. Frightening, it was.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - 659FBE
Hillman Hunter (Arrow range). Shoddy American "engineering" thrown together by Scots. Utter rubbish in every respect.

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Citroënian {P}
Given that I've ran both Maestros and Montegos as company cars, I find myself surprised in thinking that a Renault Clio 1.4 RT was our worst car. Shouldn't really complain as it was given to us but its HGFs were a real pain. Not interesting to drive, fairly small and the radio blew up when I tried to play a Yusuf Islam tape in it. That last bit is maybe understandable though
----------
Dahonist
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Rattle
Not me but my dad.

When some snip* crashed into my dads Punto they gave a Rover 100 as a courtesy car, it was the 1.4 K series and was 2 years old with 35k on the clock.

The big end had gone so it made a rather awful racket, the doors were so thin you could poke your hands through them, it had rust on the arches. The car he before was a Lada Riva and that was a much better car than this metro!

When you shut a door on the Lada it goes clonk, on the Rover 100 it goes "ting".

*edited after a complaint.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/11/2007 at 18:20

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - local yokel
That'll be the 90 Uno I bought from a mate for £150, with about six weeks' tax and 3 months MoT. Passed the MoT with some new front wishbones (total £200) and was going well, except when going over about 65 in cool weather, when it got carb icing...

Then the heater controls went, so the heater was on full time. Sold it to a Hungarian nurse one chilly day for £320 with four months tax and eight MoT.

Bought a Tipo, and then things got bad. The ECU went and the fuel consumption went to low 20s. Ebayed it for £115, losing about £200...
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Falkirk Bairn
Hillman Hunter (Arrow range). Shoddy American "engineering" thrown together by Scots. Utter rubbish in every
respect.

The Arrow Range - Hillman Hunters + Sunbeam Rapiers & Humber Sceptres were not shoddy cars thrown together by Scotsmen.

Scotsmen threw together Hillman Imps & Avengers

The Arrow Range were Rootes Coventry later throwing together some of the Peugeot Range
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - 659FBE
"My" Hunter was definitely "assembled" at the Paisley factory.

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Pugugly {P}
According to a very interesting Rootes site put together at Linwood from 1969.

Amazingly a descendant of the Hunter was still in production in Iran up to 2005. All the tooling has been sold to some firm in the Sudan......

An interesting bit of industrial history :-

www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~dave/rootes/Linwood/contents...m

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/11/2007 at 18:06

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - RaineMan

Think it would have to be a Peugeot 405. I had had company cars for about seven years and the company were keen for us to swap to a car allowance. To ease this along the cars tended to be downgraded and passed around as people accepted the allowance. I was given a s/h 405. Problem (1) was that my head hit the roof and I had to drive semi slouched. The 2 litre engine was great and pulled well. However the gearchange was vague and clunky, the ABS came in too early making for longish stopping distances on damp roads, the radio got more interferece than stations and there were numerous other niggles. I gave up and accepted the allowance after a couple of months. Ever since then I have wondered why Peugeots are so highly rated! The only one I would consider for mself would be a restored 403 convertible.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - billy25
Doh! dire Mk4 Cortina in hideous Orange, Ghastly car, Ghastly colour, what was i thinking!!!
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Martin Devon
Datsun 120Y or Cherry don't remember which. 1993 recession and mega skint. Had to buy it to travel from Devon to work for a mate in Beaconsfield. It made it many times, but often had to have the heater full on to stop it overheating. Actually flogged it in Pinner to a chum of a chum for the same Dough. It did really well.

Memories.........................MD.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Armitage Shanks {p}
As a very young and impoverished RAF person, in the early 60s, all I could afford was an old 100E Anglia. 3 speed, cart springs and windscreen wipers that stopped when you put your foot down to overtake, being as they were driven by manifold suction/vacuum. Quite reliable but what a heap! Just testing the edit button too! Thanks Lud!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 02/11/2007 at 18:16

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Lud
I had a Singer Vogue, a Hunter in all but name but with an aluminium cylinder head and chromed bores, with a low back axle ratio because it was an estate (needed overdrive really). Got it from Godfrey Davis part exchanging my Dyane. It was quite expensive but smart and respectable in dark blue.

I used it as a minicab and it was a very good car. Of course I thrashed it to death. It was stolen in the end.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - stuartl
Rover 820i Hatchback, f reg.

Bought when we had to sell our M reg 405 as wife left work after having child no 2.

Electric windows worked when the mood took them, awful velour seats that always looked grubby, even after a shampoo. The usual rubbish Rover electrical reliablilty.

This car burnt oil faster than petrol. Dont think it ever broke down although I nearly had a breakdown when it dawned on me what I had bought. Traded it for an MG Metro that was nearly as bad in the end. Terminal rust, the old squeaky bedspring noises from the suspension, overheating. Should have known it was jinxed after I hit a very large deer two days after we got it...................
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Ruperts Trooper
My first car, a '56 Hillman Minx, was off-loaded to me by the brother of a girl I fancied. The boot floor was corroding allowing one of the rear chassis legs to come up into the boot - the brake fluid reservoir cap was corroded on, leading eventually to brake failure as the fluid couldn't be topped up! I'm not sure I learned too much from it's ownership but I asked a lot more questions when buying car's afterwards!

The car that stands out for being my very worst was an MG Metro which I was allocated instead of my Cavalier CD as I'd given in my notice. I'm not sure of the Metro's rear suspension arrangement but it drove as though someone had stolen the rear dampers - fortunately I was able to swap it after one day for a very high mileage Cavalier SRi which was actually quite nice.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Old Codger

I didn't have to wait long before a Scot replied. You'd have though what with the appauling weather up there they'd have thicker skin.

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Clanger
If by "circumstances" you mean "error of judgement", I would go for the rusting nail of an Austin Cambridge that I had in the '70s. It wouldn't start, stop or corner on request. I thought I was really lucky when it disappeared from outside my Leeds bedsit one night but I chanced across it on the way home from the pub (on foot) one Saturday afternoon before the insurance paid out on it. When I'd sobered up enough to drive it home, I passed a couple of bobbies on Harehills Lane. For some obscure reason I was incensed that they didn't jump into the road and flag me down; as far as the Police knew then it was still "stolen".

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - PoloGirl
I was going to say the new shape nissan micra I had to drive in 2003 for three months while the people fixing Polo's bodywork repeatedly tried to get the job right. Problem is, after three months, I grew to quite like the big red frog with it's curry hook in the passenger footwell.

So the worst car would be any of the three Corsa courtesy cars I've had (tinny bean cans and not ideal for making someone feel safe again when they've been crashed into, hence needing the courtesy car).
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - bell boy
marina van i used for work runs in the earlly nineties, it used as much oil as petrol and i remember using oil that was in my waste barrel using a pump and filling a gallon can every day ,it got to the stage that i was running out of second hand oil faster than i could do oil changes , so i put a gold seal engine in it out of a crashed car,it was marvellous and would pull like a train and on tickover you couldnt even tell it was running,a club steward needed a van for his dodgy back door beer barrel deliveries direct from the local council illicit beer still and so bought it off me,he had it a week and properly wrapped it round a lampost,i bought it back for the engine but i later found he had left the accident scene and left the engine running minus water,he was dead within the year of alcoholic poisening
moral of the story?
dont be a pub landlord if you like your beer
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - BobbyG
This wasn't me but talk of Maestros remind me of when I used to work for Norwich Union in Glasgow the sales inspectors (as they were called in those days) got company Maestros. One of them covered the Ayrshire area so he had a mobile phone installed in the car. Now this was one of the original ones, full phone and bracket etc on the dashboard, IIRC it took a full day to install and then of course he also got the mobile aerial on the rear windscreen!

We used to joke that the phone was worth more than the Maestro! Another inspector lived in a very posh area of Glasgow and his wife had a BMW. He would always park his Maestro in the street next to his and walk home in case any of his neighbours saw him!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - gordonbennet
One of my worst and there have been a few must have been my old mk4 Zepthyr V4, yes with the old transit V4 engine but high compression model.

Don't think it went a fortnight without blowing headgasket ah memories.

Cured the headgasket problem though, found that with me and me mate Dougie with a 3 foot scaffold pole on the end of the torque wrench pulling as hard as we could the gaskets never went again, goodness knows what we set those head bolts at.

Of course i used to be a banger racer in those days and guess where that car ended up

Another was the Morris 1100, what a heap, must have rebuilt that engine 6 times.

I'm going to regret owning up to banger racing, i can feel it in me water.
Really enjoyed this thread and it has shown me how lucky I have been over the years.....I can't think of a bad car that I've owned.....
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - f2
Worst car I ever owned was an Alfasud; not quite as unreliable as you would expect (but not so far off either) and a little underpowered but telepathic handling and awesome brakes more than made up for that. The trouble is, that it was so involving to drive that it has spoiled everything that has followed since (no matter how much more capable they have been).

f2
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Pebble
I had the displeasure of owning a 1989 Eagle Premier for about five months. What utter garbage this car was--speedometer and odometer worked intermittently, headliner wouldn't stay up, transmission made unsettling noises, car's main computer went out and there were no replacements to be had. On top of all that, I discovered the car had been totalled in another city, pieced back together and shipped to my area as a salvage vehicle (but sold by the used car lot as something decent). Had to get the authorities involved and threaten the seller with legal action to dump this junker and get my money back.

That was my first European car, and enough to make me never want another. Live and learn, and buy domestic.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - moulder
snip

Removed as was trying to avoid the swearfilter and also posting blasphemy!

Edited by Webmaster on 03/11/2007 at 12:48

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - moulder
most unreliable come to think, but most fun was a renault 5 gtt turbo that i built from scratch using breakers parts.

If not modded so much would have been ok I guess, and not broken into so much!!
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Leif
snip Removed as was trying to avoid the swearfilter and also posting blasphemy!

Should have stuck to the traditional workarounds such as gadzooks and zounds. :) I cannot beleive a web site edits out blasphemy, given that it is commonplace on BBC radio, TV and web site.

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - AlastairW
Although pebble describes the Premier as a European car, it appears to have been made in Canada...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Premier
A re-hashed Renault when they had ambitions in the US market. LeCar for goodness sake.....

Pictures here:-

consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1990-to-1992-e...m

In their worst nightmares they couldn't have imagined bringing it to Europe - or could they ?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/11/2007 at 23:06

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Avant
There's 'worst' and 'worst', isn't there - depending on what qualities in particular are lacking.

Most unreliable - 1981 Fiat 131 estate, bought (new) to do a school run, which let SWMBO down (with young children on board) three times in its first and only year with us. There may well be lots of good Fiats around now, but she won't have another as long as she lives.

Most disappointing has to be the Mercedes B200 CDI I had until recently - the 'circumstances' were simply that it was cheaper, through a good PCP deal, than having another Audi. It could so easily have been a very good car if only someone who actually enjoyed driving, and who wasn't profoundly deaf, had been involved at some stage in its development. It was reliable, but it fell far too short of expectations.

The cheapest and oldest car I ever had was my first ever - a 14-year-old Austin A50 bought for £65 (and eventually sold for £65 too). In one sense that was the worst, but it never let me down or failed to start first time, and I loved it far too much to call it 'worst'.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - blue_haddock
When my 205 died suddenly a needed a car pronto. Since i had no transport i bought the local rag and had a look what was on offer - which was not much! However seeing as beggars can't be choosers so i had to buy something.

That something was a Rover 115D. Oh was it bad - slow, noisy, cramped, ugly, basic, rusty, agricultural etc etc.

The only redeeming feature was 70mpg!

Edited by Webmaster on 03/11/2007 at 12:47

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - bell boy
backwards? :-(
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - DP
1998 Polo 1.9D CL

We needed a car, didn't have much cash, and the in-laws had just changed theirs and been offered peanuts for the Polo in P/X. Father in law said he'd rather let us have it for peanuts than a dealer. They'd owned it from new and it had been religiously serviced and maintained.

Paid about half market value, but still one of the most awful cars I've ever owned including some shonky old bangers from my teens. Rear arches were rotting by its 7th birthday, interior creaked and rattled well beyond expectations for its 58,000 miles, gutless, noisy, joyless to drive, constant niggling faults, and to add insult to injury, not even particularly economical.

It got us out of a hole, but it was a massive disappointment all round. I can confidently say that current Renault build quality is better than VW's from a decade ago.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX

Edited by DP on 03/11/2007 at 10:32

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - bignick2
Morris Marina 1.3 Coupe

I beat the seller down to £15 by allowing him to remove the 8-track player!

Underpowered, uncomfortable, unreliable and a horrible shade of snot green.
Bodywork composed of tissue paper that would dent if you gave it an unkind look.

At the time my girlfriend had an Allegro, square steering wheel model and that was an absolute joy compared to the Marina.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - DH73
Got to be an A reg Triumph Acclaim, bought when my Cavalier died. It came from a dodgy back street garage, and had an equaly dodgy MoT. It kept going long enough for me to buy a decent car. Strange ripples in the bodywork and an amazing ability to scrub front tyres were signs of some problems somewhere. Problem was that I couldn't kill it - it even survived freezing up the rad... it boiled on the way to work one night, so I left it where it was until morning. I drove it home and went to bed. In the afternoon, I got up and thawed it out and drained the radiator and re-filled with proper anti-freeze. It ran OK after that, although there was always a little mayo in the oil filler cap!

Cheap motoring, not too sure what plod would have made of it though!

Edited by DH73 on 03/11/2007 at 14:51

They were very good cars for their time though.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Avant
They were, largely because they were basically Honda Ballades badged as Triumphs. DH73's story is of a rather heroic old fighter which performed above, rather than below, expectations.

Dept of useless information vol. xxx - the German for Triumph Acclaim is Sieg Heil....

Edited by Avant on 03/11/2007 at 23:36

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Nsar
Orion saloon 1.3, solid red, mud brown interior, even the wheel.

I loathed that car with every fibre of my being.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Happy Blue!
Taking the title literally, I have owned many cars over the years. Some were a little unreliable but had redeeming features (Alfasud x2), Some were boring, but remarkably reliable and trustworthy (Cortina). The one I couldn't wait to get rid of was a Uno, which let water into the cabin and no-one could find the point of entry, but otherwise was typically Fiat. Otherwise nothing to report on the ownership stakes.

As company cars however, the two worst cars I have ever had were a 1989 Astra (blancmange shape) which has done 30,000 miles in two years, had been treated like a dustbin and was simply noisly, crude, uncomfortable and with the world's worst gearbox (like all Vauxhalls of a certain era and mileage). In close second was a Citroen AX GTi, I had for oooh, 3 hours before I handed it back. Cardboard with an engine attached. I felt so unsafe.

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - The Gingerous One
Hmmmm not sure if this counts as such but a mate on mine in the mid 90's had a relatively good MkII Escort. He felt flush after working for a couple of years, so bought an old A reg Audi 80 (or maybe 100 ?) diesel with 160k on the clock "because it would be economical". He borrowed the £1500 to buy it and the car was from some back street garage in midlands.

then it started losing water, but yet no visible leaks...oh look, HGF, audi dealer quoted £1500 to sort it but a recon head & fitting could be done by another garage for £800, so my mate borrowed another £1k then had the head work done.

Then a month later the bottom end started knocking and eventually kaput. He scrapped the car for £200 and bought a horrid old W reg Metro for the same price at auction.

He finished off paying the loans (for a car he no longer had) 2 years later, the metro caught fire, broke down, rusted, rusted and rusted but was kept on the road for 2 years whilst he recovered from the Audi disaster. Come a new job he bought a brand new M reg AX and since then has always bought new cars.

about the same time (ish) Audi had that ad where they showed someone broken down by the side of the motorway using the emergency phone with the caption "an Audi driver doesn't have to do this" (or similar phrase). I found it ironic, cos that's all my mate ever did when he had his Audi.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - L'escargot
My first car, a one-previous-owner 1936 Wolseley 14 bought in 1956. I was so young, inexperienced and naive I didn't spot it had a hole in the top of one of the pistons until I had paid the cash to the "bomb-site" entrepreneurial taxi driver. The crankcase breather and the oil filler cap were stuffed with rag to try to stop the smoke escaping! I sold it for scrap after only a few weeks.
--
L\'escargot.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Blue {P}
I could answer this a couple of different ways:-

Most gutless and cheapest - a 1994 Ford Mondeo 1.6 LX that I bought from the scrapper-trader at work, it was actually in mint condition, I paid £250 for it, spent £250 on it's MOT, kept it for a few months and then sold it for £500, so it was actually my cheapest ever car to run.

Just the ugliest one - A 2004 Ford Fusion 2 1.6 - This was my company car and was what I was given as been the shortest time served salesman there, it was a daily insult when I left the house and stared at it's ghastly appearance, that car was unnecessarily ugly! Pretty quick though, and as with all company cars, it beat the manufacturer's stated times.

Blue
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - legacylad
Until this thread i thought I had erased it from my memory.

Marina 1.8TC Coupe in purple...can't believe I paid for it with my own money.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Old Navy
Austin alleggro estate, in to put it politly, brown. I hope I have recovered enough to give the good taste transplant a miss.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - northstar
Two spring to mind...

The 1985 Fiat Uno which was my first car. Typical Fiat in that was was totally unreliable. A crashing ride, vestigial boot and a pourous cabin didn't help matters.

It always started mind... providing I kept it in the insulated garage overnight. Show it a whiff of damp and I'd have to bump it in the road. The final straw was the windscreen wiper packing up in the snow across the Weald of Kent... I had to drive 30 miles with my head out of the window in the freezing cold just to see where I was going. Ah happy days.

The death bell tolled when head gasket blew up out in the country... towed to the scrappy where the bloke gave me £5 for it. Just enough for the train fare home and some chips to eat on the station.

Also the Fiesta Mk3. A 1995 model it was slow, used oil faster than petrol and rusted at warp speed, especially around the rear wheel arches. The OHV Kent engine produced a distincitve note that became unbearable whenever it was revved up. I never massively disliked the car but it had to go once the engine tick over started to play up... you'd take your foot off the accelerator to scrub off speed and the car would just surge on. I'm told a common problem with many Fiesta's of that ilk.

Still I now own its spiritual son (the Mk6) and its a lovely little car to own.

Edited by northstar on 05/11/2007 at 19:50

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Ed V
Another great thread! I'm torn between a Fiat 127 when a student, in puke yellow, brown seats, and rising brown doors. Gave it to the American boy-friend in law for £500, who loved it small size. He was dumped even faster than the car, so don't know the final scene.
A green Hillman Imp also sticks in the mind, in a none to unpleasant dark green, but when the throttled was floored, gently so's not to go through it, the noise from what seemed like 2 inches behind my head [rear engined] was extraordinary, like a Lamborghini Diablo [probably] while pulling away like Steptoe's horse. The "boot" at the front took a wash bag and not much else. I did like the rear window which hinged from above to let even more rear-engine noise in, if you wanted it. Held the road as well an overloaded 40-tonner.
A light blue Ford Anglia with the overhanging rear window [at least it never needed demisting - clever really] excelled itself on return from uni once, when the gearstick broke off leaving me around half an inch. Managed 70 miles of drving in 4th [non-motorway throughout] , and the clutch survived 6 sets of lights. Probably my best banger. Survived 6 years of student use in the family, aged 10 - 16 [the car].
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Norton
To name but a few....

Hillman Imp, back wheel over took me.

Hillman Minx, ( Hunter shape) major tin worm

Chevette from a back street garage, right wing was 1&1/4 inch higher than the left.

Fiat 131, rust, rust and more rust, followed by dodgy electrics.

Ford Cortina MKIII, cambelt failure and 2 sets of replacement wings due to rusting.

Vauxhall Viva HC, cam chain jumped, loads of bent valves. Knackered gear box.

Ford Cortina estate MKIV, car used to fill up with water when it rained, always smelt musty, would never start when hot.

Ford Cortina MKV, never liked starting when hot.

Renault 19, HGF.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - JohnJohn John
Easily the worst was a 1974 Triumph Dolomite Sprint, renamed by my father the Sodomite Sprint! Bought after some L-driver wrote off a line of cars of which mine was the front one.

It arrived with an inability to run normally. Either full bore or nothing. Paid for one of the mobile tuners to look at it. He took his money. He did not do a compression test, more on this later, and failed to cure the fault. A motorbike mad friend of mine eventually spotted a missing spring in the Carb linkages and that cured it. Car went like stink, for about 5 minutes (I had always lusted after one of these) then started to miss. Was not electrics turned out to be a burnt valve or (worn valve guide.) Sent to main dealer for repair. They reported the engine needed at the very least a rebore. (blowing past the pistons, blowing oil everywhere.) Persuaded me to fit a new short engine. I was absolutely skint at the time and for weeks had to go to work via lifts and me and the missus wheeled our laundry a mile or so on the back of a bike to the launderette.

Car came back and promptly went bang, stuck valve. Went back again, came back again, went bang again. This time it was a sheared bolt , camshaft to camshaft sprocket. Went back, came back ran OK for about 5 minutes then started missing all over again. At the time of the original repair I told the garage to replace any other valves or guides that they thought needed it. They had not. By this time I had given up on them being able to repair it and worked on it myself. Head off, fixed and back on again, over and over again. Replaced head. But new problem started. Could not get the timing chain to shut up and it started over heating. By this time had bought and gone through a series of old bangers which were all far more reliable. Started the Wessex Kit Car Club and then sold it to someone who built a kit car round it successfully! He could sort out what I failed to sort out! Sickening! The worst thing was that the rest of the car was superb having been Ziebarted from new etc. Cost me an absolute fortune, never did many miles and so far is the only car I was unable to fix myself. (discovered later the timing chain tensioner had to be primed before it would work. This one was not in the manual. Once the timing was out on it it overheated just like that.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - CGNorwich
A recent thread bemoaned the passing of cars with character. Never really sure what that character is a car but reading some of these posts and recalling similar stories of my own car ownership in the 1970s and 1980s I'm really happy to settle for a modern bland boring reliable non rusting motor
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - stunorthants26
Renault 21. Went 5 miles before it blew up. Was worth fixing tho just for the digital dash.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Alby Back
Some of you will know that I am a bit of a fan of Fords. It therefore pains me a little bit to admit that one of the worst cars I had foisted upon me was Sierra 2.0 GL auto. I had gone to work for a new employer and was fortunate enough to be issued with a company car. "Yippee" would be the word which would now spring to mind were the scenario to be repeated, but in those days I was rather complacent about things like that. I had moved to a better job but from a company who were outrageously generous on the car front.

So, anyway they give me this Sierra. It was only a year old and had but 15k miles on it but it looked as if it had had a deprived childhood. It had already begun to rust in places and it was painted a hideous shade of flat nondescript mid blue. this not only did not suit the shape of the car but served to clash badly with the rust. It had deep pile velour seats which I loath, complemented by random sharp edged fag burns. It also smelled incurably of wet dogs.

The performance was not too bad given the limitations of the Pinto engine grappling with an auto box but the famously sharp Ford handling was mysteriously absent.

The front had no lateral grip to speak of and despite numerous visits to have the reasons checked it simply ate front tryes by wearing them rapidly on their outside edges.

It was denied by my employers that it had previously had a catastrophic bodywork re-design but I'm sure it must have.

I suffered that horrible car for 12 months until it was replaced by another Sierra which rekindled my enthusiasm for them mainly due to the Cosworth badge on the boot.......
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - tyro
Well, I didn't really own it, and it wasn't actually bad, so I'm stretching things a bit, but my "least loved car, forced to use as my main transport through circumstances" was an M reg Nissan Primera estate. We were without car because our Fiesta had been written off in an accident, and the Berlingo we ordered from the dealer had not yet arrived, so we asked the dealer about a courtesy car. They had taken in this well used Primera as a trade-in, so were quite happy to let us use it.

What was wrong with it? Well, not a lot really. It had just been well used, as estate cars in rural areas tend to be, and wasn't quite as clean or sweet smelling as the other cars I've had. But we had to be grateful for something that got us from A to B and was reliable - and that we were getting for free.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - stackman
The arrival of our first-born forced us to forego the pleasures of our stylish and nippy Fiat 127 Palio and look for something more practical.

My dad, then an Austin-Rover dealer had the perfect solution :- a seven year old Morris Ital 1.3 Estate he had taken in part-ex against a new Montego.

It had glacial performance, appaling handling, zero charm and a four speed gearbox that I had to replace twice. It's only redeeming feature was the size of its boot. It was fun to drive on only one occasion, and that was the day it snowed.

It was so bad that the Maestro 1.3LX that my company gave me to drive seemed like a Jaguar to us!

I posted to this a year ago but I'll post again...

in 1993, after crashing my 3500 SD1 and realising I couldn't afford to insure it for another year due to moving out from my parents (and just having to pay £££ for repairs to the SD1); I bought an 'S' reg 950cc Fiesta from my brother with 3 months tax and about 4 months MoT. He said "you can have it for £75 but it needs some new rear wheel cylinders" so we had a deal. It had already had one replacement engine installed by him after he tried to race a helicopter (or something he had no chance of beating in a 950 fiesta)
I fixed the rear wheel cylinders and off I went, slowly, oh so slowly.

the interior passenger door handle had broken off so to get out of the passenger seat, one had to wind the window down and open it from the outside. The rear wheel arches consisted of filler & old newspaper; the boot floor had holes in it that you could put your fist through so nothing small could be placed in the boot for fear of it falling out onto the road. It couldn't pull 4th on several of the hillier sections of our motorways (esp M1, M62) so 3rd was sometimes a better option. Ignition key opened the door, the inner wings were so rotten that the bonnet catch wouldn't lock into position as the catch wasn't attached to anything.... I think the car had been used to transport someones dogs around for a while as there was plenty of dog hairs on every bit of interior fabric and I couldn't shift them.

ugh. Had it for 3 months until tax ran out then sold it for £95 and had people beating a path to my door. made the mistake of not filling in the V5 with the new owners details and then getting demands for parking tickets and unpaid road tax through my door.

The X reg Austin Maxi I then bought for £350 was a godsend. 5 spd gearbox, lots of space, almost no rust (well, in comparison) and no need to change down on hilly motorways.

cheers
Stu

Edited by The Gingerous One on 09/10/2008 at 14:15

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Adam {P}
I'd like to nominate a vehicle. I'm not going to say what because I'm boring myself going on about it all the time. But I'm nominating it all the same.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - SuperBuyer
Not quite owned, but a hire vehicle whilst my company car was being repaired, a

HYUNDAI ACCENT 1.5 (don't forget the GSI model tag I think it was)

This was immaculate, a 2000 X plate with 15K on the clock (Jan 2004). Had it for about 7 weeks, went back with 21K on the clock. Had to go up and over the pennines in it - it just about crawled up the hill, but only after shifting down a few gears.

How nice was the next car, a hired Astra 1.7CDTI. This was new, on a 53 plate (MT53 SVX if memory serves correct). Kept for 10K then handed back. Now normally its a bit of a dog, but it was like getting the keys to a Rolls Royce....
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - daveyjp
Superbuyer

Mine is also a Hyundai Accent

X reg 1.3 Automatic in a light green metallic - this wouldn't have got over the Pennines, it was positively dangerous.

This was also a garage courtesy car. When she called saying they needed the 206 I was driving (also a dog) back and could I drive an auto I was thinking of something exotic!
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Alanovich
1998 Ford Escort 1.4LX. In white. My wife had bought it because it had a nice silver gear knob. I let her do it to teach a lesson in how not to buy cars (she's a wee bit stubborn), and thinking I wouldn't have to drive it much.

A few months later and my long distance driving job became local, her local job became a long distance driver. Cue demand for me to hand over the keys to my wonderful mark 2 Mondeo estate (1.8LX, pretty basic but oh I loved that car, it was just about perfection) and take the Escrote keys in return.

It was gutless, joyless, and had the worst driving position imaginable. And I say that having owned several Alfas. The ultimate pink fluffy dice car. I will say in its defence it was totally reliable, but that doesn't stop it being the worst car I've owned out of 24 in 21 years. It's the only car I've ever had which I actively disliked (and my hall of shame contains some very unpopular alleged heaps of cack like an ancient, rotting Citroen GSA and a similarly rotten Fiat 127). It got swapped for a Fiat Marea 115ELX as soon as finances allowed.

Still, the lesson was learnt and Mrs A has been extemely sensible in car matters ever since, and has even deferred to my opinion once or twice.

Edited by Webmaster on 10/10/2008 at 01:57

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Group B
MG Metro on a C-plate.
Relatively nippy but not great compared to previous Cavalier 1.8i .
No heating, spent a very cold winter like that (suppose we could have got it fixed, but didnt get round to it).
Suspension squeaked all the time.
Tyres used to deflate constantly requiring weekly re-inflations, adding too much pressure to compensate for the expected loss.
4-speed gearbox on the motorway - not good.
Front wing and rear valance were rusting quite successfully, not good on a white car.

I wrote it off to teach it a lesson.
I think the reason I didnt mention it when this thread started was that I didnt actually own it, was just allowed use of it. But what the heck, it was a horrible car!
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - tyro
>> I wrote it off to teach it a lesson.

Wonderful line, that. :-)
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Nsar
Solid red Ford Orion saloon 1.3l

Brown interior - even the sodding steering wheel was brown.

I was about the millionth employee in the company to have it so it was a complete shed.

Plus it used to give me an electric shock every time I touched the bodywork.

I really, really loathed that car.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - glowplug
Stackman, should we take it that you didn't get on with your dad?

Only kidding.

Steve.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - stackman
We get on fine, it's just that his idea of an ideal car and mine aren't always the same.

I had the last laugh later when we moved to Newcastle Upon Tyne. Mrs Stack needed a car and he happened to have just the thing, a one-lady owner Maestro 1.3 Clubman in white. An M-reg, one of the very last.

He set out to drive it up from Dorset but only got as far as Oxford when the water pump failed. AA relay got him back to Dorset where he had it fixed then set out again. It took him 14 hours to get up to us in this 1.3 Maestro with a four-speed box ! Enough punishment for any man!

That car lasted two years until we moved back to Dorset. I tried to give it away before we moved but nobody was interested so I took it to the scrappy.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - TeeCee

>> the famously sharp Ford handling was mysteriously absent.

This is the same Ford that gave us McPherson strut suspension and the directional precision of a supermarket trolley........right?

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Group B
Easily the worst was a 1974 Triumph Dolomite Sprint

If the problems were all engine related, shame you have not still got it John.

I believe a fairly easy conversion is to drop in a Saab turbo engine; cheap from a scrapyard, and 200+bhp if desired.
Ive seen one converted thus for circuit use which had the track widened to improve the handling, with 2" wheelarch extensions and wide tyres, it looked pretty cool.

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 09/10/2008 at 15:03

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - bhoy wonder
Ford Orion. Still have cold sweats when I think about how bad that car was.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Burnout2
Undoubtedly a white early MkV Escort in with the horrid 1.3 HCS engine. Motoring mediocrity redefined for the 90s. Gutless, charmless, dynamically dreadful and generally without any redeeming features other than its parsimonious fuel consumption.

The Accord 2.3 SR I had afterwards felt like a Contintental GT by comparison....
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - audiA6tdi
Company car - Peugeot 207 1.4 S. Underpowered and horrible driving position. I was convinced it was the 75nhp version it was that slow. Upon finding out it was in fact the 'higher' brake of 90bhp I was even more annoyed!!
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Orson {P}
My Rover 820, bought in 2001 from a main dealer. Was second hand and reasonably low miles - 40k or so on a 5 year old car. Went back about 5 or 6 times for excessive oil consumption - finally identified by HJ no less as valve stem oil seals.
The glove box facing also fell off due to heat, and the gearbox was on its way out at the end. Thank goodness it was on a 12 month dealer warranty. I got rid of it at the end of the warranty as part ex for...

another Rover.

Very comfortable and a nice drive, but terribly terribly unreliable.

Edited by Webmaster on 12/10/2008 at 01:02

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - mark999
Mercedes V220Cdi bought new, must have been back more than 20 times for faults, some serious ones brakes, suspension rust.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - the swiss tony
<< Mercedes V220Cdi bought new, must have been back more than 20 times for faults >>

ONLY 20 times? it must have been a good one, or you outted it within 6 months!

Edited by the swiss tony on 11/10/2008 at 17:23

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - injection doc
worst company car was an ITAL 1.7! had to carry gallons of Oil in the boot to complete any journey & if it went down a hill without touching the throttle when you got to the bottom & hit the throttle you couldn't see behind you!. It was brandnew & used a gallon fron Tonbridge to Haverford west & back! No wonder most of british car market died they couldn't build one that worked or was reliable.
Austin3ltr was another monstrosity that spent more time in a workshop than on the road. When I was issued with an ambassador it was time to change jobs! thank goodness. My drive way would of rotted away with all the cars leaking oil! My hillman imp was bad!. Then I had a triumph acclaim what a cracker, had 2 recalls for steering & sunp baffles but never went wrong & never leaked oil & didn't burn any iether.
Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - vmturbo

I'm a Senior Citizen these days so I've had a lot of old bangers in my time. The joint second equals for worst cars have to be the Austin A30 with its dodgy fading brakes and a couple of 850cc Minis (again these were gifted with dodgy fading brakes) All time most despised car has to be the Ford Cortina 1.6 estate that I owned briefly. It had that rotten V-V carburettor that was full of flat spots. Chief problem was rust as there was no paint inside the doors, sills and box members. This killed the car at its MOT although to be honest I was glad to be rid of it. The car was replaced with a Morris Marina 1.3 which believe it or not was a much better car than the fix-or-repair-daily. The A+ engine was excellent and allowed cheap road tax. There was also the bonus of no timing belt! Another cheap (£25!) runabout was a Fiat Uno E (903cc pushrod engine) bought with a blown head gasket. Once fixed it was a really handy car. Main snag was no brake servo. Driving in congested traffic in the cold and rain was very trying as one would end up with an aching left foot. Stout soled boots were needed. Most Unos did in fact have a brake servo but not this one. Eventually the engine started burning oil and needed a couple of pints per week but I got about a year out of that £25 car!

Surprisingly there are still some very bad cars around. Take the case of a friends Renault Laguna 2.2 dci The car ran OK on short trips to the shops but after owning the car for a fortnight he took it on a long run. After 180 miles it broke down. "It revved-up, all the dashboard warning lights lit-up, it stopped and a red light came on" he said. Allegedly the engine is blown beyond economic repair so he has scrapped the car. £888 for a fortnights motoring. Duh!

>> It had that rotten V-V carburettor that was full of flat spots.

Gosh, I'd forgotten that thing. A girlfriend's father had a Mark V which I volunteered to service for him. I recall investigating the delights of the V-V and after puzzling for a while, realising that it was doing exactly what an SU did, only very badly.

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - vmturbo

AFAIK the Saab 99 had that horrible Triumph "dolly" engine (1/2 a Stag?) What I do know for sure is that it had that dreadful high-mounted water pump which was the engines Achilles Heel.

Saab reverse-engineered this engine by fitting a water pump that was low down and outboard of the engine block, Voila! or whatever they say in Swedish. The re-worked engine was then used in the 900.

It has long been apparent that Steam Trapping and Air Venting no longer seems to be studied by vehicle manufacturers. For example the worst designs incorporate bleed valves to let out the air. With such designs the words "bargepole" and "do not touch" come to mind!

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - madf

"For example the worst designs incorporate bleed valves to let out the air. "

So the Peugeot 106 was rubbish ?

My sons did over 100k in three of them with no problems - and all over 7 years old.

Must have been luck...

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:...""Hillman Hunter (Arrow range). Shoddy American "engineering" thrown together by Scots. Utter rubbish in every respect.""

I had a Hillman Hunter once - an early oblong headlamp model before the ugly later facelifts. It was a GL, with varnished wooden dash. I actually quite liked it - it was reliable and quite pleasant to drive and, being a 1725 cc model, adequately quick for everyday motoring. Of course, it rusted and appeared to be made of thin steel, while the suspension was very basic. It was old when I bought it but had been well looked after and it served us well for a couple of years. One thing I will say about the Hillman Hunter was that, whatever its shortcomings, it was a nicely styled car - certainly compared to its rivals - such as the Ford Cortina Mk2, Vauxhall Victor 101 , Austin 1800 or Renault 16.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 09/02/2013 at 23:40

despite 5 years passing since I posted on this thread, and my ownership of an 18yr old Volvo 440 within this timeframe, I still stand by my post about the MkI Fiesta I owned being the worst car.

A volvo 440 is luxury by comparison. and it rusts a lot less (yes, even on the wheelarches).

Though clearly if the car has lasted 18 years then I must have had a good one.

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - dieseldotty

QUOTE:...""Hillman Hunter (Arrow range). Shoddy American "engineering" thrown together by Scots. Utter rubbish in every respect.""

I had a Hillman Hunter once - an early oblong headlamp model before the ugly later facelifts. It was a GL, with varnished wooden dash. I actually quite liked it - it was reliable and quite pleasant to drive and, being a 1725 cc model, adequately quick for everyday motoring. Of course, it rusted and appeared to be made of thin steel, while the suspension was very basic. It was old when I bought it but had been well looked after and it served us well for a couple of years. One thing I will say about the Hillman Hunter was that, whatever its shortcomings, it was a nicely styled car - certainly compared to its rivals - such as the Ford Cortina Mk2, Vauxhall Victor 101 , Austin 1800 or Renault 16.

I had a Hillman Minx (1500cc approx) in the Arrow range. A rustbox for sure but a beautiful simplistic style that looked better than anything else in the popular car range of it's day (1967) ...and it was Coventry built (well, almost)

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Canon Fodder

My first car was a 1982 W reg Alfa Romeo Guilietta, 2.0 in a lovely metallic green.

It had been a toss up between that and a Lancia Beta Coupe - my head (such as it was) ruled my heart. I was 17

I loved it of course, and it was a magnificent pulling machine in the day when my mates had - at best - the usual rag-tag collection of Fiestas and Escorts

BUT - Ye gods the gearbox!!! It's scarred me for life - everytime I change gear now I expect that same 10 seconds of random porridge stirring followed by a sudden and brutal metallic grinding and then road speed slowly dropping as it does when you've yet again accidently selected neutral

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - skidpan

Back in 1984 I bought a new XR3i and what a mistake it was. It was my decision, no pressure, had the money at the time so not buying to a price.

To be honest it was not unreliable (it never broke down) or cost a fortune to run (only services - no tyres etc). I only lost £280 in depreciation in the 2 years I owned it.

But it was poorly put together, the paint finish and dash quality were inexcusable, the ride was worse than any car I had owned before of since (I knew it was hard after the test drive but as always you never know how bad until you use it every day) and despite the hype about the injection engine it was no faster than the Mk 2 Escort Sport I sold to buy it.

Within days I wanted the Mk 2 Sport back, old technology it may have been but as a package it was far superior.

Once I had the cash I got rid and bought a Golf GTi and that car lived up to all the hype, replaced it with another Golf GTi. 160,000 trouble free miles in 11 years.

It was 14 years after selling the XR3i before I bought another Ford.

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - ack1906

Most unreliable: back in the late 90s, had my car stolen, so while I was waiting for the insurance company to get their act together and pay me 1/2 of what I had bought it for (market value) I bought a Mark 1 VW Golf 1.1 in yellow for £200, which had been nicknamed by its previous owner as Casper. In 3 weeks of ownership, Casper overheated 3 times in Oxford city center, and then caught fire on the M25 trying to get into London.

Worst ever and most hated: My E30 BMW 323i had developed a gearbox problem and I didn't have the finances to get it fixed. A mate introduced me to a guy, who had just inherited his grandad's F reg Fiat Tipo 1.4. He was a mechanic working for a garage, so he said he could source a gearbox and fit it on the Beemer. I owned the Tipo for 3 weeks - hated every minute driving it. Swapped it for an Escort XR3i.

Worst company car: Was working in Cyprus for a while, started a new job and the company gave me a 5 year old Toyota Spacio 1.6 auto. Was a Japanese import - basically similar to a Corolla Verso. Absolutely the most boring, lifeless and one of the worst handling cars I have ever had. Moaned at my boss until he handed it to a newer member of staff and gave me a 2nd hand Golf diesel. Success!

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Ed V

Ford Anglia - 60 miles with no useable gearstick, stuck in 4th - could have been 1st I suppose.

Hillman Imp. Do you need to ask?

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Mr Fox

Sometime in the late '90s I was unfortunate enough to need a new car quickly, and my company was selling off some of their fleet cars, I had my eye on a Citroen Xantia, but that got snapped up, and all that was left was a K reg 1.8 Diesel, non turbo Ford orion, in dark blue with 144k on the clock.

it was absolutely hideous to drive, with no power, just noise.

My girlfriend who had a Golf, borrowed it one day and declared that it was the absolute worst piece of s&&t she had ever driven.

I got the engine steam cleaned and sold it on for a profit to some old fool.

Difficult, as I have been through some fairly dreadful machinery in my time. However, I think the golden raspberry has to go to the brand, spanking new FIAT Croma I had while between fleet cars four years ago.

Some things worked, some things didn't. Which was which changed daily, based on some mysterious algorithm that I never managed to fathom, but I think probably involved entrails and the invocation of Dark Powers. It had a gearshift which, in operation, was highly reminiscent of the "pudding stirrer" arrangement on my old Austin 1800, only with less pudding and more stirring. The pedals were offset and cramped, something of a mystery as there was plenty of space in the footwell to put them in the right places. The switchgear had to be operated gingerly as everything gave the impression of being about to break although, to give it credit, none of it actually did.

However, the thing that gives it the win was the driver's seat. Up until the point I had this thing, I was convinced that Ford had utter mastery of the truly godawful seat, but FIAT snatched the crown with the offering in the Croma. Apart from the usual shortcomings in position, size and support, it had a little trick up its sleeve. By some mystery of materials science, FIAT had managed to make the side bolsters on the (too narrow) squab out of something that managed to be both hard and unyeilding enough to sever blood supply to the lower limbs, while also offering absolutely no resistance to sideways movement at all. The result was near-permanent cramp, while being battered against either the door or centre console when cornering.

I was ecstatic with delight when one of the rear seatbelt fastenings decided to turn its toes, giving me the excuse I needed to send it back on safety grounds.

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - Engineer Andy

A school friend of mine once said his mum got one choice of company car in the late 70's - a "Tardis blue" Austin Allegro with an all-beige spongey-looking interior. The absolute worst car I've every been in - it leaked, the electrics were always going wrong and it broke down SOOO many times! And it was pug-ugly! What was amazing is that they actually bought the car when she left the firm as a family car!

Edited by Engineer Andy on 18/02/2013 at 21:29

Worst car, forced to own through circumstances - SteveLee

Most cars have redeeming features – I'm just as happy hypermiling a tiny hatchback as roaring along in a supercar and have happy memories of just about every car I've ever owned – however – in the early nineties I was forced to drive a Mark 5 Escort D (yes D not TD) as a company car, by the late stages in the Escort's life, other cars had come into the segment that dynamically slaughtered it. (Well the Maestro had it slaughtered 10 years earlier but that's another story) Mark 3 and 4 Escorts were hard riding but were reasonably entertaining as warm hatches, with the Mark 5 Ford attempted to address the way the car shuddered over bumps as the chassis was not very stiff, in fact it was so weedy in terms of twist resistance that they ended up pretty much removing all damping to reduce scuttle-shake.

The result was a car which had nothing going for it as far as chassis dynamics are concerned, the ride was bearable until the road got rough then the lack of damping just meant it felt like a fishing boat crashing against the waves out of sync, the steering feel and all confidence as a road burner were shot to pieces as well. You ended up with a car that neither rode well or handled – on top of that the engine was gutless and noisy, the terrible chassis and diesel-inspired nose-heaviness meant that hypermiling (usually meaning maintaining mid corner speed) was out of the question, In order to reduce the engine's vibration to the cabin, Ford's usual slick gearchange felt rubbery and awkward and because it was so slow in terms of power and corner speed - economical driving was difficult – you had to thrash it to make progress. A terrible, terrible car that should have been strangled at birth – going from that hidious contraption to the Mk1 Focus has to be THE automotive turnaround of the century.