Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - movilogo
I'm contemplating buying a cheap (below £5000) sports car. Has to be a convertible as well.
It must be a RWD. Like to keep that for at least 1 year.

From the autotrader, following cars come within my budget

Toyota MR2 (old shaped ones are below £2k, new shaped ones are quite pricey though)
MG TF
Mazda MX5

So far driven only MG TF (very short test drive from a private seller). Didn't feel anything special (but I can't compare with any other yet).
Not too keen on MG because of so called reliability problem.

My questions are:
1. Is there any other car I can consider?
2. Is there any drivability difference between mid-engined and front engined cars? (without risking my license)
3. Which car will hold value most?

Thanx
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - blue_haddock
MX5 was the first thing that came into my head before i had even read the body of the message. I wouldn't bother with an old shape MR2 - most are leggy now and you'd struggle to find a good one without paying over the odds.

The other car i think may suit is an E36 BMW convertible - i'd much rather have one of these than an MG although probably not over an MX5 which always gets good reviews and is a very good drivers car.
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - Malcolm_L
2 seats is obviously not a problem - what about an older BMW Z3?
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - Altea Ego
Old shaped Mr2's are mostly riddled with body rot.

The thread title should be renamed "i need an MX5"
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - BazzaBear {P}
Out of left-field, not quite a convertible, but I believe available with Targa-tops:

Nissan 200SX

For that matter, the 300ZX twin turbo can be had for less than £5k nowadays too.
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - blue_haddock
I think the 200SX is coupe only not a convertible although the 300ZX is aailable in targa form
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - bradgate
How about a MR2 2.0 GT T-Bar (the 90's 'Ferrari' shape)? 170 bhp, brilliant handling, removable glass roof panels, bulletproof reliability, in many ways the forerunner of modern coupe cabrios.

You should find a very nice one for £5k.

Edited by bradgate on 31/10/2007 at 15:56

Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - CJay{P}
Or a Supra, non turbo, in Tagra form. For 4-5k, you can find really unmolested examples.
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - Garethj
Depends how many miles you do and how fast you want your sideways fun, but a re-shelled MG Midget is a hoot for £5k as long as it doesn't break down and you don't want to go more than 60mph very often. Very good for depreciation too
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - perleman
Merc SLK or CLK. Might have to bump up to 6k but way way superior build to any MG - and superior running costs too! Loo for at least the 230k engine though, if not the 320, or won't be very 'sporty'.
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - tr7v8
Got to be a Porsche 944 fantastic handling, 2 + 2 hatch so relatively practical. & as it's galvanised mostly no rot (except sills which get blasted by grit & muck).
Jim

54 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 SE Diesel
87 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5
80 TR7V8
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - martint123
I got a 1990 MX-5 for 2 grand coming up for six years ago. Breezed though it's MOT's and rot free underneath. Not sure about it's resale value now, but probably the least depreciated car I've owned in 40 driving years.

Edited by martint123 on 31/10/2007 at 18:57

Thanx guys for the suggestions....

Porsche will be too ambitious ;) but BMW Z3 doens't look that expensive!

But can anyone please answer my 2nd question, i.e.
2. Is there any drivability difference between mid-engined and front engined cars?
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - adverse camber
what do you mean by 'drivability' ?

Ive owned reare ngine and front engine but not mid.

As I understand it a mid should have more neutral handling but if you lose it will be more difficult to control because of the weight distribution/balance.
Bascially I'm eager to know if mid engined cars behave differently [on normal road at legal speed limit] than front engined cars.

Usually it is said that mid-engined cars are bit difficult to control. Is there any specific reason for that?

Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - mjm
I've driven a Lotus Europa and a mk 2 MR2. At normal road speeds the only difference is that the engine noise is in your earholes a bit more. In my opinion they are a bit noisier than front engined cars. They don't behave any different really, at normal speeds and cornering. They are different in behavior at the limits of cornering grip, however!

You don't say what you want the car for, purely for fun or as a serious everyday tool.

For your money you will get a newer MX5 than Z3.

For my £5k the MX5 would get the vote. True convertable, unlike the MR2, easier and cheaper than the Z3 to maintain, simple mechanical hood operation. Son's has been as reliable as they make them. It's only a 1,6 but for fun, in my opinion, the engine size is a bit irrelevant
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - Blue {P}
The TF gets my vote, but then I own one so I'm biased, I have no worries whatsoever about reliability, there are some rough examples out there for sure, but buy carefully and you'll get a very fun and treasured vehicle.

Blue
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - gordonbennet
Female friend asked me some years ago for recommendation, i naturally suggested MX5, she bought one absolutely loved it and until Ryton closed and she was redundant it only had a radiator replaced. That was blocked as she hadn't had the coolant changed, so maybe something to look out for?

Good Japanese reliability with fun and easy resale, is there a competitor?

Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - moonshine {P}

Assuming that you are after a car for normal road use but comes with some 'street cred', I would say the following:

The MG, MR2, Mazda and BMW are all hairdressers cars.

Go for either a nissan 200/300zx or a MK4 Supra.

If you want a 'real' sports car and want to do track days then get a kit car, might be able to pick up a bargain at this time of year.
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - apm
Mrs APM has had an mk1 MX5 for about 18 months, and we both love it. Loads of fun and reliable too. Watch out for overheating- if this happens, it will be the rad, known fault as Mazda originally made the water channels too narrow and they have a habit of furring up. Other than that, a cracking car, always makes me grin :-)

Kit car definitely worth a look- something Caterham 7ish? Not sure what the prices are like.

If you'd consider classic, there are lots to choose from, Midgets, Spitfires, MGB's Tr's, Jensen Healey, XJS... the list goes on...

HTH,

Cheers,

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
Volvo 940S estate 1993
Maxda MX5 1.8iS 1997
Yamaha RD350 YPVS 1992
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - bell boy
If you'd consider classic, there are lots to choose from, Midgets, Spitfires, MGB's Tr's, Jensen Healey, XJS... the list goes on..
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

or the rust goes on get a mazda its the light thing to do
Sub £5000 RWD sports car - suggestions? - daveyjp
Early smart roadsters can be found for your budget. Not the most powerful, but just like driving a go kart.