ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - dxp55
Oh dear what a shame

Britain's most senior traffic policeman is to be prosecuted for speeding, his force said on Tuesday.

Meredydd Hughes, head of roads policing for the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO), was allegedly caught driving at 90mph in a 60mph zone in North Wales while on holiday last May.

A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Police said: "Chief Constable Meredydd Hughes has received a notice of prosecution in respect of an alleged driving offence in North Wales in the early morning of a bank holiday Monday in May while on holiday.

"No summons has yet been received."

The force has not given any indication whether Mr Hughes intends to fight the prosecution.

North Wales Police said it would not confirm any details on a case before it went to court.

My bet is he will come up with an excuse and get off.

SL Changed to reflect content. Be interested to know your source before it becomes a general Discussion. I've done a Forum search and can't find any reference to the man.

PU, source here:- tinyurl.com/3y4ods (courtesy of Stuartli) - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/10/2007 at 19:20

ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Bill Payer
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7069289.stm

www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-7035827,00.h...l

He already had 6 points when he took over the ACPO Roads Policing job. He's also been quoted as saying cameras should be hidden.

I really don't know how he could continue in his job - the hypocracy is breathtaking.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - rtj70
"I really don't know how he could continue in his job - the hypocracy is breathtaking"

His main job is chief constable of South Yorkshire Police - I see no reason he does not continue that.

There will be debates/discussions on him having to cease being ACPO Traffic Chief. If he gets a ban then why not continue? Yes he's as guilty as any of us but he could speak from experience etc. He knows he did wrong so why not let him suffer without a licence.

He should have popped into Chirk Castle - he was near there when caught on camera. Nice gardens and a great bacon butty. Poor old one eyed cat though :-(
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - jc2
Cameras CAN be hidden now-as of a few weeks ago,the requirement for them to be coloured brightly was withdrawn.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - stuartl
Thats typical jc2!

It is widely publicised that cameras are there for SAFETY.

Take the scenario of a motorist travelling through an unfamiliar town.

Gets flashed doing 36 in a 30 mph zone.

OK, he/she should not have been speeding and they will get a £60 fine but HOW has that made the roads safer? If they had seen the camera they would have slowed down and therefore made that area a safer place to be in.

I guess the arguement might be that once you have accrued a few points you might think twice about your speed but I have found that most people with points on their licence just invest £100 on a road pilot instead and only slow down when a camera is near.

Cameras do not make roads safer, they are just roadside fruit machines for speed gamblers.
I guess the arguement might be that once you have accrued a few points you
might think twice about your speed

As Yosser has already been done at least twice then clearly the punishments didn't cause him to modify his behaviour.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - L'escargot
I really don't know how he could continue in his job ........

Set a thief to catch a thief.

>> ........ - the hypocracy is
breathtaking.

What people do in their private life doesn't always reflect on how good they do their job. The important thing for me is how good he does his job ~ his private life is of no interest to me.
--
L\'escargot.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Stuartli
>>The important thing for me is how good he does his job ~ his private life is of no interest to me.>>

So the fact that he apparently adopts the "Don't do as I do, do as I say" motto doesn't bother you?

This has nothing, with respect, to do with his private life in any shape or form.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - slowdown avenue
best advice, if need a clean licence, then dont go on holiday to wales.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Pugugly {P}
"best advice, if need a clean licence, then don't go on holiday to Wales."

No - Best advice is not to do 90 in a 60 anywhere. (allegedly of course)
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - cockle {P}
A spokeswoman for South Yorkshire Police said: "Chief Constable Meredydd Hughes has received a notice
of prosecution in respect of an alleged driving offence in North Wales in the early
morning of a bank holiday Monday in May while on holiday.
"No summons has yet been received."

My bet is he will come up with an excuse and get off.

Obvious one; offence in May, NIP received in October, no summons yet received, therefore surely defence will be failure to serve notice within 14 days........
Where does it say that the NIP was received in October ?

Up to six months for a Summons. This is a Summons only offence and would/will have gone to
the highest level for CPS decision.

Remember this hasn't gone to Court yet with all the consequent safeguards. This thread will be watched and locked/deleted if it gets out of hand.

Mod #4
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - stuartl
I'm afraid I'm with the ones one here that

a: thinks he shouldn't be in the job he's in

b: thinks he will wriggle out of it

and

c: thinks he WILL stay in his job and be a hypocrite like the officer who spearheaded a campaign against drink driving then got caught over the limit.

What a joke! No wonder the Police are ridiculed rather than respected.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Westpig
c: thinks he WILL stay in his job and be a hypocrite like the officer
who spearheaded a campaign against drink driving then got caught over the limit.
What a joke! No wonder the Police are ridiculed rather than respected.

>>
so.....are all police like that, most, some or a few? Any other professions where all employees without exception are saints?
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - PhilW
"Any other professions where all employees without exception are saints? "

No chance Wp - one bad apple and all that. And I'm a teacher (!) - lots of bad apples - but you can only do your best and keep your integrity intact.
--
Phil
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - cockle {P}
Sorry PU assumed it was a camera, but as you say an alleged 90 in a 60 would have gone to CPS for referral for court appearance so becomes different ball game.

But an alleged 90? In a 60? Didn't just creep over then, did he?

Edited by cockle {P} on 30/10/2007 at 18:51

He has been summoned to appear before Wrexham magistrates on 21 November

From the BBC website report - so off to Court he goes.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - local yokel
If a defendant is found guilty of exceeding the limit by 30 mph, does the court have any discretion over a ban, or it it automatic?
He has been summoned to appear before Wrexham magistrates on 21 November

I might just have to turn up and shout "Speed Kills" or "Think of the Children" from the public gallery.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - J Bonington Jagworth
Hughes gets ticket from Brunstrom - deep joy!

I'm amazed it's got this far, frankly. You'd think there'd be some perks to the job...
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - rtj70
"I'm amazed it's got this far, frankly. You'd think there'd be some perks to the job... "

This is why the authorities win. They can show it does not matter who is caught. And he will get a police driver to ferry him about. Win win for them then.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Kevin

tinyurl.com/2dnwob

"In June he said his penalty points had expired and he would have quit his ACPO role if he had
reached nine points for a third offence.
Chief Constable Hughes refused to comment about the latest incident."

Kevin...
IF he is convicted he will probably face censure from his Police Authority. As regards being driven around if he's banned, he will probably have that privilege already as he probably works in his car (don't think it will extend to his personal life/business, those days have gone) Heck, I get driven around most days in work these days, but I doubt whether my PA would run me to Tesco or any other shop for that matter. Its nothing flash, I had a 3 hour journey the other day and that time is better spent actually working by phone and Blackberry than driving !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 30/10/2007 at 22:56

ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - PoloGirl
Right... so all Firemen who don't fit smoke alarms or regularly use chip pans (precisely what they spend their lives telling people not to do) are hypocrites are they? How about magistrates who tell white lies, or vets who swat flies?

Astounded at the sanctimonious comments on this thread.

The guy is a chief constable first and foremost, and just happens to hold an ACPO portfolio, which happens to be roads policing. It doesn't mean he is the oracle and role model on how people should drive. And he wasn't at work when he is alleged to have been speeding. Police officers are human after all. Yes, admittedly he should know better, and I'm not particularly defending him if the figures alleged are correct. I just think it's dangerous to start blurring the line between personal and work lives. Of course it would be a different response from me if the alleged offence had taken place on police time, in a police vehicle, because when in uniform at work he is representing his force and it's values. But he was on holiday.

Speeding's not big and not clever, but speeding as an off duty police officer is no worse than speeding from any other member of the community.

ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Waino
Astounded at the sanctimonious comments on this thread. >>

Yes, but it was (allegedly), 30 mph over the limit! Not just 'a bit'.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - james86
>> Astounded at the sanctimonious comments on this thread. >>
Yes but it was (allegedly) 30 mph over the limit! Not just 'a bit'.

It's not really fair for us to judge without knowing more about where he was driving.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - BobbyG
Well I personally am quite happy that we are discussing this thread because the cynic in me thought that something like this would have been hushed up at high levels.

--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - ijws15

As a senior police officer he is responsible for enforcing the law, that includes the speed limit on the public highway.

He should not break the law, he should set an example to us by complying with every part of it. And a policeman is a policeman 24 hours a day, not just when he is on duty.

That was what I was taught by my father, a policeman for over 30 years. But then he was not that senior.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - jbif

I am astounded, nay apalled, by the lack of clear thinking by those who think it is OK for a CHIEF of any profession to be (allegedly) in breach of rules or laws that they are meant to live by.

A bad applee at the bottom of a tree may be fine in some circumstances, but a bad apple at the top of the tree? Never acceptable. If allegation proved to be true, it is a resignation matter, no question. I would go even further and say that the mere allegation brings the profession in to disrepute and in my eyes that it is a resignation matter.

In my view, the Police do a wonderful job most of the time, and need our support especially given the political constraints that they work under nowadays. However, they do not need people at the top allegedly doing 90 in a 60 zone.

ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - rogue-trooper
>> Astounded at the sanctimonious comments on this thread.

Rubbish. Think most are going along the lines of the people upholding the law then go and break the law, then there is something a bit wrong.

I can't see him getting off now that it is mainstream news. If he is let off then the message that would get sent out would cause more damage than him losing his job. Having said that the police are always good at looking after themselves (or so it seems). Just a shame that it wasn't Brunstrom who was caught!
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Kiwi Gary
Some years ago when I was promoted {???} to Project Engineer, I had to learn a bit about contract law, particularly the Duty of Care, and recall a case in my studies where a rally driver was held [ in a UK court ] to have a higher duty of driving care than other road users because of his special abilities. I wonder if that could be argued in this case - does a senior policeman, particularly one in traffic control, have a higher duty of care to the public safety than an ordinary driver? Interesting thought, even though it is in the Civil law area, not criminal law.
"Meredydd Hughes has received a notice of prosecution in respect of an alleged driving offence in North Wales in the early morning of a bank holiday Monday in May while on holiday."

I can't see the problem. What difference does it make what job he does when he's not on holiday? At the time of the alleged offence he was a motorist and he's entitled to be judged by the same set of rules and ethics as any other motorist.
--
L\'escargot.
The problem with those who say private life is private etc., is where do you draw the line? If he'd been driving an unsafe car, with a bald tyre, would you still adopt that line? What if he had no tax/MoT/insurance?

He's got very little room to wriggle, IMHO. He has a high profile job, and he should live his life accordingly, if he wants his force and his service to be respected by the people who pay his salary.
If he'd been driving an unsafe car with a bald tyre would
you still adopt that line?

Yes. There shouldn't be one set of rules for one person and a different set of rules for another person. What he does for a living is just a job.
--
L\'escargot.
This thread has reminded me of that guy from the National Audit Office with his rather large expense claims.

Oh, just remind ourselves he hasn't been found guilty of anything yet...
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - jbif
This thread has reminded me of that guy from the National Audit Office ..........

Exactly my point. That guy from the NAO has done the decent thing and resigned.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007...l
"Sir John Bourn, the Government's spending watchdog, has announced his retirement in the wake of allegations over his lavish taxpayer funded globe-trotting and meals at top London restaurants."
"At the moment, the auditor general is one of the few officials who cannot be sacked by the Government and can only be dismissed after votes in both houses of Parliament. "
"Sir John has been cleared of any wrongdoing after it was ruled he had acted "in accordance with the existing rules." "

Note that he has resigned despite the fact that he had done nothing against any rules and the fact that it would be nbecessary for both Houses of Parliament to pass resolutions asking him to go before he could be made to go!

So as I said in my earlier post above, it is time for Meredydd Hughes, head of roads policing for the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO), to offer his resignation.

Edited by jbif on 31/10/2007 at 11:30

ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - james86
The problem with those who say private life is private etc. is where do you
draw the line? If he'd been driving an unsafe car with a bald tyre would
you still adopt that line? What if he had no tax/MoT/insurance?

Maybe we would or maybe we wouldn't. But the point is we don't know anything more about this yet so we are not in a position to judge!

Maybe he was driving an unsafe car with no MOT and insurance. Maybe he was driving recklessly in the pouring rain with no lights on. Or maybe it was a clear day without another car on the road. Maybe his wife was giving birth and he was rushing her to the hospital. Perhaps the camera was faulty and he will be found not guilty.

I'm not saying any of these are likely. Most probably he was doing what many of us do and driving to what he felt was a safe limit rather than within the speed limit (which as you all say he should not do in his position). But we don't know yet - so we can't judge!
Right... so all Firemen who don't fit smoke alarms....

This guy, apart from being a CC, is head of the ACPO Roads Policing unit. If a Fire Prevention officer (rather than an ordinary fireman) didn't fit smoke detectors etc then yes, that would be hypocritical.
>Yes. There shouldn't be one set of rules for one person and a different set of rules for another person. What he does for a living is just a job.

His job is exceptional, as a) he never legally goes off duty and b) he has promised to uphold the law, coupled with the status his rank and appointment bring him.

While a 35 mph ticket in a 30 is one thing, driving at 20 mph above the NSL and 30 mph above the local limit suggest a lack of attention to his driving that he would decry in a driver his force had caught. To be clocked driving at 90 mph also suggests his speedo may have read much closer to 100 mph.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - barney100
Don't try to ratioonalize the speed camera legislation by equating it to raod safety, as we all know its a motorist fleecing method pure and simple. There's little I can think of to stop it either. It's like the medieval window tax only we can't board our cars up.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - milkyjoe
why doesnt he get his misses to dive on the grenade and do the fine and the points (or the ban) for him, i would if i already had half a dozen points on my licence , oh it would depend on the quality of the photo tho i suppose
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Snakey
I'm sure he'll claim he was 'testing' the abilities of the car and will be let off....
the day any profession employs 'perfect' staff will be the day they employ robots. Humans are fallible, inc Chief Constables.

he was probably doing what a great chunk of the motoring public do, inc people on here... which is see an open road, consider it safe and went faster than he should have done....and if he's a trained police driver, driving a well maintained modern car in circs that have no specific danger involved then big deal.

i'd rather moan about the endless selfish gits with no insurance, who don't maintain their cars and drive dangerously

ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - rogue-trooper
if he's a trained police driver driving a well maintained modern
car in circs that have no specific danger involved then big deal.

so why can't I then drive at whatever speed I want seeing that I have been driving for 30 years (being hypothetical here as I have only been driving for 19). I think after that amount of time, experience counts for just as much as police driver training.

ie I really don''t think that the fact that someone has police driver training counts for anything. Just remember the ho-hah that the police caused when they stopped all those WRC drivers in Wales a couple of years ago. If you think that police drivers should be let off because they are qualified, why weren't these rally drivers (with whatever licence is needed to be part of the WRC)?

Edited by angelman on 31/10/2007 at 16:34

ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Lud
>>
so why can't I then drive at whatever speed I want

You can. It's just that if you are seen or detected you may be fined or even banned from driving. Just like a police chief.

If the police were really regarded as being exempt from the law these cases would never come to our notice.

Of course I'm not saying policemen don't get away with speeding. Of course they do. And so does everyone else, except mimsers and fundamentalist law-abiders.
If you think that police drivers should be let off because they are qualified why weren't these rally drivers (with whatever licence is needed to be part of the WRC)?

you are putting words in my mouth........i don't think for one minute he should be let off because he's a police driver. What i'm saying is he should get what anyone else should get, but keep this in context and look at all the facts. It may well have not been that dangerous and being a police driver may well contribute to it not being that dangerous.

Yes it's wrong, yes it's illegal, yes he should be prosecuted....but he's not the son of satan because of it.
In a way it's a relief to know that Meredydd Hughes is expected to have higher moral standards than mere mortals like me. It must mean that I can get away with having lower moral standards than him. In the future, when I'm committing traffic violations, I'll just feel that it's no more than is expected of me.
--
L\'escargot.
I'd expect him to have high personal standards - his job is to uphold the law.
I don't understand the "he's only human", "he was on holiday", "moral standards" arguments here.

If the reports are correct (and it's a big if at the moment) he was deliberately breaking the law. 90mph is not a momentary lapse of concentration.

That calls into question his professional judgement and whether someone who deliberately breaks the law is fit to hold the post of Chief Constable. The fact that he is also ACPO head of roads policing only makes the alledged conduct worse.

Foreign reports/rumours seem to indicate that a damage limitation exercise is already in progress.

tinyurl.com/37qhc8

'A spokesperson for ACPO said that Mr Hughes will be "handing over his responsibility for road policing", a decision he said had been made before Hughes was faced with the speeding charges.'

Kevin...
I don't understand the "he's only human" "he was on holiday" "moral standards" arguments here.

We are all human, believe it or not. Humans make errors of judgement and do things that they wish they didn't. You show me a human being that claims to be perfect and NEVER does anything wrong at all, ever.......and i'll show you a liar.

There are far, far worse things in the world going on than speeding on an A road in Wales.

That doesn't mean to say it isn't wrong.. and of course he should be punished for it... which he will be.

and of course he should be punished
for it... which he will be.
Has been already one would think. These things matter more to some than to others.

And there's the great weight of what in my opinion is slightly misplaced public opprobrium.

When a ruthless, cruel moralist is caught in a brothel a decent person can only laugh. But this is another matter. People being sanctimonious about more or less harmless stuff they do themselves, or their neighbours and relations do, or anyway people here do, are a bit boring to tell the truth.
"far worse things in the world going on than speeding on an A road in Wales"

Indeed, but probably not according to Brunstrom!

The problem here is that the accused (and Brunstrom) are unusually in a position to influence policy on speed cameras and their 'safety' claims, but instead choose to bang the drum for draconian enforcement and punishment, because a) it's easy, and b) it makes them money, neither of which are exactly laudable reasons.

You can't disconnect his work from his road behaviour on holiday, unless that's a defence for the rest of us (it's all right officer, I'm just taking the family to Llandudno). I wouldn't begrudge George Monbiot his Renault Clio if he hadn't made a career out of saving the planet from motorists, and I could take George Bush's appeals for world peace a lot more calmly if he wasn't a trigger-happy halfwit hell-bent on doing the opposite!

Hughes obviously doesn't believe the safety stuff applies to him, so why not admit that it doesn't actually apply to anyone? I'd respect that.

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 01/11/2007 at 10:07

Hughes obviously doesn't believe the safety stuff applies to him so why not admit that
it doesn't actually apply to anyone? I'd respect that.

Good point, but then of course he'd have to let the genie out of the bottle wouldn't he.
Indeed but probably not according to Brunstrom!

Interviewed on BBC Wales Today, Brunstrom refused to apologise for his hard line on speeding, spouting the infamous line:
"It is against the law and there is no excuse for drifting over the limit any more than there is for drifting a knife into someone."
"..than there is for drifting a knife into someone"

Doesn't look good for Hughes, then!

I have to say that I find it worrying that a chief constable can equate speeding with GBH. He sounds unhinged to me.
"deliberately breaking the law."

An interesting phrase. I regularly break the speed limit, partly because I am driving/riding for the conditions rather than watching the needle all the time, and sometimes because I need to be somewhere. However, I wouldn't say that my infractions were deliberate in the same way that, say, murder is deliberate. I didn't set off with the intention of exceeding any limits, I just didn't actively prevent it happening all the time, i.e. it wasn't premeditated.

I don't suppose that would wash in front of the magistrates, but I'd be interested to hear a lawyer's view (I have a family full of them, but none of them does criminal work!)
No it doesn't wash, I've heard all the excuses over the years !

I exceed the speed limit, whether I'm aware of it or not I'm still braking the law. It's part of the risk management of adopting a driving style that risks exceeding the limit, the limit is a legal entity if i break the limit I break the law, my choice and mine alone. Malice aforethought not required !
It's time people recognised that motoring is a sport, not a tiresome metier or dreary job.

An element of risk, not necessarily with life and limb but that too a bit, is an essential part of the mix.

Of course to some people it's a living or very important to their living.

They are fully entitled to take a cautious failsafe attitude.

Edited by Lud on 01/11/2007 at 22:33

"I exceed the speed limit, whether I'm aware of it or not"

Likewise - it was the legal definition of 'deliberate' I was querying. I know it's really semantics, but I don't see how something you may be unaware of can be deliberate.

How long before 'I was watching my speedometer' becomes a defence, I wonder?
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Ravenger
Speeding is one of the few offences where you have to make a concious and continuous effort not to break the law.

Driving below the limit on roads where limits are artificially low feels wrong. Your driving experience is telling you it's a faster road, so you have to spend more effort concentrating on keeping to the limit.

90mph is not a momentary lapse of concentration.

I'm sure it must depend on what you're driving. I can well imagine that 90 in a powerful, quiet, expensive car feels like 60 in a lesser car.

I'm not suggesting there is any relevance, but I remember that the Renault Dauphine owners manual warned that 50 in a Dauphine felt like 30 in other cars. ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
"the Renault Dauphine owners manual warned that 50 in a Dauphine felt like 30 in other cars"

But only when the other cars were Renaults.. :-)

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 02/11/2007 at 11:21

"90 in a powerful, quiet, expensive car"

I quite agree. When the limits were established, 90 was beyond the reach of most vehicles. Wasn't the 70-limit a temporary economy measure, anyway?
JBJ said:

>it was the legal definition of 'deliberate' I was querying. I know it's really semantics, but I
>don't see how something you may be unaware of can be deliberate.

JBJ, I didn't intend 'deliberate' to have any legal connotation but let me try and explain what I meant by 'deliberate' by first asking you a question.

When was the last time you needed to look at the speedo to know whether you were doing 90mph or 60mph?

Probably never - and I don't think it is reasonable to believe that any other competent driver would have to either. The difference is just too great.

Whoever was driving Mr. Hughes' car must have known that they were exceeding the limit by a significant margin and their actions were therefore conscious and 'deliberate'. They may not have set out with the intention of breaking the law which would make it premeditated but there is no way that they were 'unaware'.

(I say 'whoever' because I haven't seen anything that says he was actually driving. It doesn't really matter though. If he was in the car he could have prevented it).

Monsieur Snail said:
90mph is not a momentary lapse of concentration.

>I'm sure it must depend on what you're driving. I can well imagine that 90 in a powerful, quiet,
>expensive car feels like 60 in a lesser car.

That is true but it's not a valid comparison in this case. You have to compare what 90mph and 60mph feels like in the same car.

My daily driver is an XJ8. It's quiet, comfortable and reasonably powerful but the difference between 60mph and 90mph is still obvious.

Kevin...
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - Bilboman
One more point to be made here - as a serving traffic police officer, the Chief Constable has been trained to a high standard (let's not forget) at public expense. The hundreds of hours of driving and frequent refresher courses should lead to a highly skilled, competent and trustworthy driver. That high standard of driving and professionalism is not something to be left behind with the handcuffs and truncheon when going on holiday (and while still in the UK).
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - midlifecrisis
Have to disagree on that one. I'm a serving advanced driver. I doubt that the Chief hasn't been anywhere other than the back of his official car for many a year. He'll have been office bound for many a year. Dedicated front line officers don't become Chief Constables, that honour goes to the political 'chair jumpers' who are always looking for that new opportunity to get up the ladder. His role as 'Head of Traffic' is an administrative/policy one, it doesn't mean he's ever been trained in the advanced driving role.

There's simply no excuse for 90mph in a 60mph limit.
ACPO Traffic Chief - Receives speeding NIP. - midlifecrisis
I'm seem to have developed a sudden habit of repeating the same phrase once to often in that last post. Perhaps I should wait till my hangover has passed in the future. :)

(And I forgot about the edit button)

Edited by midlifecrisis on 04/11/2007 at 10:39