MPV's French/Italian or German? - adverse camber
I am gradually coming around to the idea that I am going to have to get an MPV rather than an estate.

Looking around the obvious choice seems to be between the Sharan/Galaxy/Alhambra or the C8/807/Ulassy (sp?)

I'd be going diesel prob 2003/2004 model.

The sharan has the PD engine which I like, although there is the issue of correct oil and low timing belt change interval.

The French cars I know less about but seem to have the issue over emissions stuff and the Filter and fluid.

The C8 etc have sliding doors which would be good.

So, anyone owned both or compared both ? Comments on the French engines would also be welcome.

Will be carrying 2 children +dogs or lots of children and doing runs to France a couple of times a year (cheap french servicing?)

thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/10/2007 at 14:41

MPV's French/Italian or German? - boxsterboy
We had an early Sharan (TDI 90) and without doubt it was the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I was forced to get rid at the end of the warranty.

We replaced it with a Citroen Synergie which was perfectly reliable if a bit less 'sophisticated' than the Sharan.

For the last 4 years we have had a C8 HDI Auto. Mechanically it has been perfectly reliable. The electrics are a little temperamental but have never let us down, and we have been across Europe in it countless times. Sometimes the electric door sensors don't want to fully close the doors, so you simply over-ride them, the rear washer tube became detached once flooding the electric rear hatch release and stopping it from working, but once it had dried out it was fine. The fold-down kiddy mirror sometimes confuses the alarm. The anti-pollution warning light has flashed a couple of times, but again I think this is just an over-active sensor. I have read of worse reports though. There seems to be the occasional 'Friday afternoon' car.

The sliding doors are a real boon and the raised driving seat and large windscreen make it a very relaxing car to drive. It is very practical - stacks of room with all the seats out (though they are heavy). The newest MPVs have seats that fold into the floor which is probably easier but does restrict outright accommodation when the seats are folded. They are great family cars. We average just under 30mpg in all-round use and our dealer is good.
MPV's French/Italian or German? - tyro
Any particular reason why you are not considering a Toyota Previa?
MPV's French/Italian or German? - Paul I
Yes we've had both a VW Sharan and a Fiat Uylese on a 6 month loan car.

Both me and my wife agree the VW Sharan was a much better car in every way I guess I like the fact that it was conventional the both rows of seats cme out completely (on the fiat it had a massive reach bench type affair and wasn't easy to remove.

The electric doors are a known weakness down the line as are the seats known for both poor wear and the height adjuster broke 3 times in as many months.

The 1.9 JTD engine is good - but so is the PD in at least 130 BHP form better still if you can find the Seat Alhambra as they are 140 I think.
MPV's French/Italian or German? - adverse camber
thanks for the comments.

Not looking at the toyota because I understood that the rear seats are not removable? Am I misinformed?
MPV's French/Italian or German? - tr7v8
Pretty sure the Sharalaxy is built in Spain not germany. Car Mechanics recommendations was the petrol 2.0 or 2.3, as too many issues with all the diesels & the v6.
Otherwise the S Max or C max or most of my friends with an excess of rugrats have bought Chrysler Voyagers or Grand Voyagers, either diesels or petrols & all have been fine.
A couple of Kias in Medway as taxis & also several C8s.
Jim

54 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 SE Diesel
87 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5
80 TR7V8
MPV's French/Italian or German? - Manatee
Pretty sure the Sharalaxy is built in Spain not germany.

Until last year the Ford, VW & Seat versions were all built at the same plant in Portugal. The Galaxy 2 however is a different car built elsewhere - Belgium IIRC.
MPV's French/Italian or German? - tyro
> Not looking at the toyota because I understood that the rear seats are not removable?
Am I misinformed?

According to the What Car? website, "You get seven comfortable seats ? some versions even have eight ? but they don?t fold into the floor. However, you can slide the five rearmost chairs backwards and forwards to share out the legroom. There's not much luggage space if you leave all the seats in place, but you can remove them to leave a stadium-like 2929 litres of cargo space."
MPV's French/Italian or German? - Marc
We've got an 05 plate Galaxy (2.3 petrol auto) that we bought in April. As has been pointed out already the old Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra were/are all produced on the same line in Portugal.

Overall we've been very happy with the quality, practicality, comfort and performance of the vehicle.

Although I can't comment on the diesel engines the vast majority of these cars on the road are TDi so I'm guessing they must be generally OK - plus plenty of them are taxis.

All five of the rear individual seats are removable.

When doing my research on the Galxy/Sharan I saw reports on the internet of failed climate control units and bent sills because of incorrect jacking.

We didn't consider the other cars you mention as SWMBO wanted an auto