2.0 tdci the definitive treatment - pembsflyer
Having done a good deal of research we ordered an Smax titanium 2.0 tdci and are expecting delivery in the next few weeks. It was one of the few cars/suvs/mpvs that had three individual second row seats that eventually swung it for us. (Three boys 15,13,10)
With the anticipation of receiving the car we started looking at the forum to get advise as to the running in etc. We were quite concerned to see all the problems with Mondeo III 2.0 tdci we understand it is the same engine. There is advise on running in a diesel in the FAQ section, but we wondered whether somebody could give us the definitive on engine care.
i.e. Should one avoid supermarket diesel, use any additive, frequency of oil/filter change and any other tips anybody might have? We live in the country and so most runs are 12 miles to town to ferry kids.
This is the first new car we have ever had and have bought it for the long haul. we do wonder whether it was such a good idea to go for the diesel option. If we get to the end of the 3 years should we change?
I apologise if this is going over the same subject but we could not find all of this information on the forum or in the archive.

Many thanks in anticipation

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/10/2007 at 13:25

Smax 2.0 tdci the definitive treatment - DP
It's a completely different engine. The engine in your new S-Max is a joint development between Ford and Peugeot/Citroen. It's been used in the C-Max since launch, as well as the mk2 Focus and various medium to large Peugeot and Citroen HDI models. It's a technically advanced, but well proven unit, and as far as I know has a good reliability record.

The Ford Mondeo III uses a Ford in-house developed unit. Some are superb, others are a nightmare. This engine shares nothing with the engine in your S-Max though.

S-Max 2.0 TDCi is a great choice. Enjoy it!

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Smax 2.0 tdci the definitive treatment - boxsterboy
Personally, I avoid supermarket fuels - diesel and petrol. I believe that Shell, Esso, etc. have better additives in them (doubtless someone will pipe up and say that I am talking rubbish, but tests in motoring magazines seem to bear this out).

Except I can't use my local Shell anymore - last time I did they skimmed my card!
Smax 2.0 tdci the definitive treatment - a900ss
Can I also add that if you need specific S-Max info, try www.smaxownersclub.co.uk

PS - 1.8 TDCi S-Max for me!!!
Oh, and I don't use Sainsburys fuel anymore. Their diesel foams like no other brand I know of and the S-Max is a real pain in the bum to fill. It can quite easily click out as full when you can get another 10/12 litres of fuel in the tank. I think they have a poorly designed air vent in the tank as it seems to effect all S-Maxes.

PS - I am fully aware of over filling diesels and spillage (motorcycles, etc) and I do NOT overfill.
Smax 2.0 tdci the definitive treatment - Bill Payer
I mainly use Sainsbury's City Diesel and have never had any foaming issues. I can't tell any difference between it and any other brand of fuel in performance or engine noise, but the car has returned its best MPG figures on Sainsbury's diesel.
Smax 2.0 tdci the definitive treatment - DP
the car has returned its best MPG figures on Sainsbury's diesel.

You're not the only person I've heard say that.

My brother-in-law swears it too.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
>> the car has returned its best MPG figures on Sainsbury's diesel.
You're not the only person I've heard say that.
My brother-in-law swears it too.

I've never worked out the MPG on the sainsburys stuff - just know it foams in my car really bad!!!

I'll try a couple of tanks and work out the MPG.

Thanks
Smax 2.0 tdci the definitive treatment - Martin Wall
Which 2.0 diesel engine is used in the Mazda 3 Volvo S40/V50/C30 - is this a Ford unit or the PSA unit you mentioned? What about the 1.6 diesel in the same models? Thanks!
Smax 2.0 tdci the definitive treatment - pembsflyer
Thanks for that. It's reassuring to know we won't be having all those problems. So just run it in as in the FAQ?
Smax 2.0 tdci the definitive treatment - Graemetdci
Not sure about the Mazda 3 but for the Volvos, the 1.6l and 2.0l are the Ford/PSA units, not the 2.0l found in the Mondeo III.