How to replace a pickup? - MrWednesday
Hi all,
Dilema time, and where else to ask for balanced feedback?

I have recently gave up a 120 mile commute, now replaced with a 20, and after the new year a 10, and as I have moved from the hills back into the big smoke, I've decided that the L200 has got to go. It hardly gets a chance to warm up in the morning, and the parking headache in the city multi-stories is driving me insane.

After some consideration, my brief has to consist of the following:

Comfy drive - I want to be cosseted, the jarring drive of the pickup over all these poorly repaired town roads has made me want to spend my next year and a bit in a quiet, smooth riding cocoon.

Practical - must be able to take SWMBOs 3ft square art canvases, as well as the labrador and the weekly shop.

Diesel / Petrol - don't mind, the L200 is no speed demon, and with a drop from 30 odd thousand to less than 8k in a year for all my driving, I doubt any money saved in fuel choice is going to be an attraction, although I do like the power delivery / lazy driving style of the diesel.

AWD / 4WD - would be nice, but please, no big SUVs.

Can it be done?

I thought the Subaru Impreza Sportswagon - 2 ltr non turbo would be my answer after seeing so many favourable comments on the backroom, however Subaru have gone and made the new model year all short hatchbacky, and I'm not struck on the new shape.

So where now?

There seem to be a fair few of these longer wheelbase hatches now, despite the removal of the Impreza. So far I've found options in the shape of the Kia Cee'd SW - Diesel / Petrol choice, but no AWD, the Audi A3 Sportback - and if I go crazy available in a Quattro, the Saab 9-3 Sport Wagon, nice, but the base model starts at a good bit more than a base model A3, and finally, unless there are more suggestions - the Peugot 207SW and 307SW.

I know there are Backroomers with real experience of these, and all comments will be welcome. Budget should be circa £17k, mpg doesn't matter, but practicality, real life reliability, and any info on ownership / dealer woes are welcome. Happy to purchase new, but at the miles I'll be doing, suggestions up to 12 mnths old are fine.

Can I have the best of all worlds in one of these cars?

How to replace a pickup? - Paul I
I would have thought you sort of answered your own question as you can still get a nearly new Subaru Impreza Sportswagon - 2 ltr non turbo and have money in the bag.

To be honest apart from a Volvo V70 AWD (S/H) you won't find a better cae than the Subaru thats dog and shopping friendly !!

How to replace a pickup? - Aprilia
If you want AWD then Impreza wagon would not be a bad choice - although ride is fairly firm. You could get something under a year old and with small mileage for £12k or less - or maybe even brand new if you can find a dealer desperate to get rid of the 'old shape'.

You might also consider Legacy 2.0R wagon - although a bit slower and not quite as agile on the road as the Impreza (but more spacious, obviously). Forester will probably feel too big (its basically an Impreza chassis but does feel quite a bit bigger and heavier when you drive it).
Here you are - 1 year old Impreza wagon with 6k on it for well under £12k at a car supermarket:

Ebay number: 170143656642

I bet you could match this deal at a Subaru dealer.
How to replace a pickup? - MrWednesday
Paul I, Aprilia, thanks for the quick feedback. Have to say, my heart did suggest a trip to my 'local' subaru dealer. There is a certain urge for a Legacy - B Spec, despite the brain wanting to be sensible. Never thought of the Volvo V70.

SWMBO and I would prefer new - not snobbery, just prefer having the warranty and supposed backup of the dealer network over the time of the finance agreement. I know, huge depreciation, etc, etc, but the car really is my only vice, and it is nice to know all the miles on it are done by yourself.

How to replace a pickup? - Gromit {P}
"SWMBO and I would prefer new - just prefer having the warranty"

If you bought an ex-demo Subaru, you'd get the balance of the warranty on it. AFAIK, the 08 models come out in October, so dealers are likely to have 07 model demonstrators that they'd be keen to sell - especially as sales are never at their strongest at the end of the year. No doubt you could use the car supermarket price to haggle down the dealer too.
I would ring around a few Suby dealers then and see what you could get an old-shape Impreza wagon for. The wagon never sold as well as the saloon and if they have one on the site, maybe a pre-reg, then may be desperate to do a deal - especially if you have no trade-in. I'm betting you could get brand new for £14k if you found the right dealer and pushed hard. Depreciation over 3-years may not be too bad - I don't know where you live, but if its a rural/hilly area then they tend to sell quite well as an older motor because there is steady demand from people who want a cheapish compact AWD.

Any other 'car type' AWD will be fairly dear. The Leggy Spec-B is a pricey car and costly to run as an 8k-a-year suburban runaround!
How to replace a pickup? - gordonbennet
I.ve got to throw a spanner in, you comment on the state of the urban roads but youre giving up the vehicle ideally suited to being able to take all thrown at it.

I'm suggesting you stick to something able to handle the appalling roads, i have to say i'm not sure you'll be that impressed when you have to start slowing down and avoiding pot holes speed humps etc, when you.ve no doubt grown used to ignoring them, i know i did but not anymore cos i'm back in a beastie meself.

I understand you want something more comfortable and maybe a little shorter/more manoeuverable have you thought maybe legacy estate or one of the many soft roaders from the likes of honda or hyundai or toyo.

My merc indy (donkeys years knows em backwards) spends an amazing amount of time replacing suspensions these days and he blames it squarely on the roads and traffic calming measures.

One other thing city driving youve been used to sitting high, wont be very pleasant going low again.

Interesting to see where you end up car choice.
How to replace a pickup? - Happy Blue!
You're all wrong for thinking Imprezza or Legacy wagons - but on the button with Subaru. The obvious choice is the Forester. Far better for the art and dog, better ride for the potholes, far more confortable to get into and out of, still AWD with unburstable Subaru mechanicals and just as fast in the real world as an Imprezza and faster than a Legacy because it is smaller.