Youths throwing rocks!! - Jensen
I don?t post here very often but read all new posts every morning, but I just want to vent my anger somewhere!
My fiancée was driving home the other afternoon on a semi-rural road and she was 2 minutes away from arriving home. She had my one year old son in the back and was going no faster than 30mph. As she passed three youths, who were aged around 13-14, one of them threw a large rock at her car. This rock smashed into the top of the near side wing and bounced across the bonnet. She then slammed her brakes on, but by the time she had opened her window to shout at them they had fled (they were all on pushbikes).
When she arrived home, visibly shaken, I jumped straight in my car and tried to find them. It is probably lucky I didn?t find them as it probably would have been me who would have ended up arrested.
I think that it is a sad reflection of the youth of today that 1) They threw the rock in the first place and 2) They targeted a car with a woman driver and a baby in the back. I just dread to think what might have happened if my fiancée had been driving a lot faster and the rock went through the windscreen!
Youths throwing rocks!! - retgwte
A friend who is a teacher told me this little story, all second hand from the parents who were ranting about it at the school gates the next day

Line of cars driving along, teenage lads throwing bits of brick at cars, one of the cars contains large adult males who get out and grab hold of the lads, citizens arrest if you like, immediately take them down the local police station and hand them over unharmed, police keep em in for processing/talking to/probably letting them off with nothing more than a warning, guess what happened?

All the parents stormed around the police station and demanded that the adult males were arrested for false imprisonment/kidnap! this beggars belief

At the school gates the parents were all for doing the adult males in, and thought no big deal of their rock throwing teenagers

This is the age we live in

My dad would have given me very rough justice if I'd been caught doing something like this, as would the other adult males where I lived, not these days

Youths throwing rocks!! - DP
If I had been caught doing something like this, the Law would have been the least of my worries. I would have been in no doubt that my parents would have sided with the victim and the police and my life would have been hell for the foreseeable future.

I have a two year old daughter who says please and thankyou, and is aware of basic rights and wrongs (don't take without asking, don't hit, treat things carefully). These will be built on as she becomes more able to understand. However, she has more idea at two than some of the 13 year olds I've met.

It's nothing more than bad parenting. The poor kids don't stand a chance.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Youths throwing rocks!! - OldSock
I have a two year old daughter who ...... has more
idea at two than some of the 13 year olds I've met.

Just give it another eleven years and report back..... :-)
Just give it another eleven years and report back..... :-)

Yeah, I fully understand that it will get harder, and that raising kids who never do anything wrong is a pipe dream, but at the same time I firmly believe the groundwork done now is very important. There is a big difference between "being kids", and stoning passing cars.

Cheers
DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Youths throwing rocks!! - Lud
It's nothing more than bad parenting.

Couldn't agree more DP. Second or third generation of it by now in many cases. I'm afraid the rot really started in the sixties when people stopped being able to discriminate between courtesy and cringing deference, and continued in the seventies when schoolteachers stopped teaching people how to read, write, count and spell.

Harrumph! Snort!
Youths throwing rocks!! - OldSock
I'm afraid the rot really started in the sixties.....

Maybe in the 70's, kids found their parents' old "Don't trust anyone over 30" T-shirts - and took the message to heart :-)
Youths throwing rocks!! - FotheringtonThomas
All the parents stormed around the police station

Let them. There's little if anything that they can do, if the people who took the action behaved reasonably.Too much rumour re. these cases helps stop people taking proper action.
Youths throwing rocks!! - gordonbennet
Nasty but glad no one hurt but shaken up i expect.

Some years back there were some youths dropping stones on cars from a bridge on the A45 at Northampton i know the area well and nipped off and found them they were on an industrial estate, i shot to the local nick and told them where to find the idiots, did plod turn up not likely. What can you do if the bill arn't intersted in stopping this sort of thing before someone gets hurt.

I think the rot sets in from the top down and until we have leadership in the country that has spine (it may be some time if ever) things will only get worse.

Hope your loved ones get over this nasty experience soon.
Youths throwing rocks!! - Armitage Shanks {p}
I can only sympathise with OP and his distressed and shocked family. We live in a country where ambulance staff wear body armour, fire engines are stoned when responding to 999 calls and so it goes on. I will add a brief and lighter hearted comment to suggest that it has always been this way! Some years ago I bought two birthdate copies of the Times for relatives and, as a bonus, was given a 3rd copy which was so old that it could be of no interest to a living person, about 1840? In it there was letter from an outraged citizen who had been set upon by varlets while walking across Paddington Green, robbed of sixpence and wanted to know where the police were when you needed them. No change there then!
I should add that the op's family have my deepest sympathies. I didn't want to sound like one of these do-gooding criminal sympathisers. I just acknowledge that the root of the problem is not the kids themselves, but at the same time they should be caught and punished hard.

It's symptomatic of a generation that has no concept of responsibility, or of consequences for their actions. I only wish I knew what the answer was beyond my default "angry" response which involves sterilisation and would doubtless be unacceptable to most people.
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Youths throwing rocks!! - midlifecrisis
It's just not the same without a daily 'bash the plod thread'.
Youths throwing rocks!! - Dipstick
Certainly agree it's been going on forever.

1300s - thieves and vagabonds everywhere. Answer - hands cut off, ears split, branding. Did it fix it? Nope.

1500s - thieves and vagabonds everywhere. Answer - torture, squashing with heavy rocks, imprisonment forever. Did it fix it? Not likely.

1800s - thieves and vagabonds everywhere. Answer - hanging, transportation, flogging. Did it fix it? Did it heck.

2000s - thieves and vagabonds everywhere. Answer - "Understanding", rehab, courses, last resort prison. Did it fix it? Not the slightest.

It's not PC, but there's the sad, the mad, and the bad, and nothing we do will ever fix that.

Youths throwing rocks!! - FotheringtonThomas
You should certainly report this to the police, at your nearest station - draw their attention to any damage caused.
i sympathise with plod having to deal with the parents of these kids

and the lack of options open to plod to sort the kids out

im always amazed at some of the serious life threatening stuff which results in the guilty party, in the unlikely event they are caught, being let straight back on the streets with little action of substance to address the problem

only long term solution is significantly better education in the inner cities and problem public housing estates, unlikely to happen while the decent parents all fight to be in the catchment area of the decent schools, if you were a teacher would you really want to teach a class full of these kids for the same money and less support? much easier to teach in middle class suburbia, and so itll get worse through the generations

Youths throwing rocks!! - boxsterboy
I agree with DP, it's down to the parenting, but when you have had generations of bad parenting, where are the examples/role models? The problems really set in when, despite parents best efforts, their kids get led astray at school.

Similar problem on last nights Police prog on ITV. Police up in Grimsby/Immingham having a hell of a job trying to explain to parents why they were right to take their 11 year old down the station for stealing goods, all captured on CCTV.

Edited by boxsterboy on 23/10/2007 at 11:44

Youths throwing rocks!! - Group B
You have my deepest sympathies Jensen, a similar thing happened to my g.f. several months ago.

She was driving home on her own from a works meal at about 11pm, she passed a group of five or six teenagers on the pavement. One of these youths raised a road cone above his head and threw it at her car, she had no time to react and the cone hit the nsf wing (again, lucky it didnt hit the windscreen).

She braked to a halt and was going to get out and have a go at them, but saw in her mirror that they were running towards her car; whether this was just for the confrontation (likely?) or they had other motives I do not know. Thankfully she had the presence of mind to drive off rather than confront them, despite being shocked and in a rage. I hate to think what could have happened if she had got out and tried to berate them.

I dont want to put into words my thoughts about this phenomenon of teenage delinquents with no concept of discipline and no respect for anyone or anything.

:o(
Youths throwing rocks!! - bathtub tom
Why's castration never been used?
Nip the problem in the bud, literally.
Youths throwing rocks!! - movilogo
I faced similar issues quite often!

Last year, when walking on the road, someone threw a rubber ball on my wife's head. Nothing serious but couldn't trace who did.

My car is parked on the road. Few months back, on the morning I discovered that someone had bent my car's rear wiper! Fortunately, a local garage fixed that free of cost.

During the heavy snow in the beginning of this year, a road was blocked by puddles built by some 16-17 yr olds. An elderly woman was in arguments with them as she can't proceed for this!

My manager's car was dented by some youths dancing on his car's roof (in Nottingham)!

What can we say? Today's kids know that even if they don't anything, the government will provide them food as well as all the luxuries of modern life. So, forget books and education, just have fun....

PS: I think I saw on this forum a thread on "footprints on roof of car"....

Youths throwing rocks!! - Derfel
"only long term solution is significantly better education in the inner cities and problem public housing estates"

I agree that education is key especially now that there are so few jobs available for those with poor educational attainment. However, I do feel that today's generation have far better educational opportunities than were afforded to previous generations with good facilities and a wide range of subjects. Certainly some schools are better than others but all are now subject to rigorous inspections and it is possible to work hard and do well from a lower performing school whereas in the past a bad school was really bad, giving pupils little chance of achieving much.

It just seems sad when so much money has been ploughed into education by successive governments of both political persuasions that people do not value it more highly and take the advantages they have.

I stopped on a local quayside recently to make a phone call and there were a group of teenagers in a car eating burgers, etc. When they had finished their "meals" they simply opened the windows and threw all the rubbish out onto the quay. Just unbelievable.
Youths throwing rocks!! - Armitage Shanks {p}
MLC - I don't think anybody is knocking/bashing the police in this thread. All I can see is comments about carp parenting and useless uneducated and uneducatable teens. We are now into a generation of rude boorish children conceived and not brought up up by rude boorish parents. Judging by the size and shape of the females who come into my place of work, asking for the morning-after-pill I'd say were making a start on a 3rd genration of fat dumb pillox! That said, I am not bashing teenagers, there must be a lot of charming well behaved ones - somewhere!
re "However, I do feel that today's generation have far better educational opportunities than were afforded to previous generations with good facilities and a wide range of subjects" no at all. Granted it was bad in my Dads generation. But in my day a genuinely poor famly in a poor area did have a chance of getting their kid into a decent school, if the kid did well they were able to escape and get a grant to go to uni.

These days decent schools are much more reglated by postcode, and unless your parents are rich enough to live in the correct postcode, or lie about it, you are doomed to a rubbish school. Even if you then by some miracle do OK, you are expected to borrow more money than your family has ever seen to go to uni - so it never happens.

There is much less social mobility now under Brown/Blair than there was under Maggie etc.

These days decent schools are much more reglated by postcode and unless your
parents are
rich enough to live in the correct postcode or lie about it you are doomed
to a rubbish school.

That is very true and is happening to some friends of ours who are now looking at schools for their oldest daughter.

There are two schools in their area - one is very good, and the other is among the bottom 20 in the South East.

They fall into the catchment for the poor school literally by one street. Walk out of their front gate, cross the street, and walk less than 30 seconds. It's that close.

The houses in the next street that fall in the catchment area for the good school are identical to the house they live in now. The price of these identical houses is £50,000 higher.

There is much less social mobility now under Brown/Blair than there was under Maggie etc.

That was officially confirmed in a London School of Economics report recently. Social mobility has declined steadily in recent years, and now lags way behind Canada, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. We are also the about the only developed country where the gap between rich and poor is increasing. Even in the US it's fairly static.

Cheers
DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Youths throwing rocks!! - Derfel
"Granted it was bad in my Dads generation. But in my day a genuinely poor family in a poor area did have a chance of getting their kid into a decent school, if the kid did well they were able to escape and get a grant to go to uni."

I was really thinking about the days of the old Secondary Modern back in the 70s where pupils were doomed to take the old CSE instead of O Levels and it would be exceptional for someone to reach Uni from that base.

"There is much less social mobility now" .... "confirmed in a London School of Economics report recently"

I completely agree on the lack of social mobility which really is disturbing and the LSE Report to which you refer is presumably the one below.

tinyurl.com/9hj83

Unfortunately the report does not go on to explore the root causes of this inequality.
Youths throwing rocks!! - tyro
I too believe that bad parenting is the problem.

I do not, however, believe that better education is the solution.

Good teachers are helpless when confronted by classes of children who
a) are totally unmotivated
b) have learned (by the age of 5) a total disrespect for everyone - and a lot of other pretty unhelpful values
c) have parents who will in no way support the teacher
d) face enormous peer-pressure to be stupid and anti-social.
Youths throwing rocks!! - PoloGirl
Back to motoring, if possible, please!
Youths throwing rocks!! - Jensen
Just like to add that this incident has been reported to the police and although they have said it is very unlikely these youths will be caught (I knew this already), the police were extremely helpful and understanding!

Youths throwing rocks!! - expat
About 6 months ago one of the orderlies in the hospital I work came in with his arms covered in cuts and scratches. I asked him what had happened. He had been driving back from the city with his wife when some youths threw rock at his car. He came to a screeching halt reversed back up the road and took off after them. They had seen him coming and run off through the fields. John chased them and they spit up. He followed one over streams through thorn bushes and finally the kid ran into a house and slammed the door. John is a little guy, about 50 and quite scrawny but he was as mad as a meat axe. He kicked and bashed at the door till the kids father came, demanded the kid who was hiding behind his dad. The dad took one look at John who had murder in his eye and slammed the door in his face and called the police. The police arrived almost immediately. They were in the area looking for youths who had been reported throwing stones. Cars on that road are doing 70mph and stones are serious. The cops demanded to see the youth who then broke into tears and confessed everything before he was even asked. Charges were laid and John sent a bill to the father for panel damage to his car.
Youths throwing rocks!! - tyro
Nice to hear a story with a happy ending, Expat.

By the way, what country did you say this happened in?
Youths throwing rocks!! - Mr.Tee43
Mr Mapmaker will be along soon to tell you it's your fault for failing to observe the little darlings at play, while you were trying to avoid the potholes, speedcameras, cyclists, drunks, pedestrians,..............................

Don't you know that as a humble motorist, EVERYTHING is your fault.
Youths throwing rocks!! - bell boy
good one mr tee,made me larf anyway
Youths throwing rocks!! - expat
"By the way, what country did you say this happened in?"

We are in rural West Australia. I have found the police over here to be very good. Responsive and helpful. They have a hard job and I couldn't do it. I expect the British police are the same but they have been hobbled by political correctness and human rights. There needs to be a lot more support given to the police by the politicians and the media and a lot less paperwork dumped onto them.
Youths throwing rocks!! - barney100
Sorry, can't tar all youngsters with the same brush! I work with them all week and most are well mannered and hard working and many very talented. You can go go down the nature and nurture road but given support and encouragement I think the majority will turn out Ok. They are from all backgrounds too.
Youths throwing rocks!! - barney100
Remember my Dad telling me that before the war if you got a slap from a teacher at school and complained to your Dad like as not he'd give you another for misbehaving . You had to respect adults as they were pretty strong on keeping you in line. However we now live in a world of health and safety where wrongdoers are cosseted.
Youths throwing rocks!! - Old Navy
I remember my dad doing exactly that! (in the 1950s, which ever war that was after.)
A bit of firm parenting worked for me, pity the balance has swung so far from common sense.

motoring link - I dont throw rocks at cars! {And a tenuous one at that, so thread locked - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2007 at 13:33