Gunged up screen washers - cornelly cat
Hi

Just collected my CRV back from the dealers because of a non-working rear washer. The lovely lady told me it was because whatever screen wash had been used, this was reacting and 'gunging' up the washers and pipes. I've only had the car a few weeks and hadn't put any new in since picking it up from the dealers.

She recommended not using any screen wash whatsoever as Honda now don't put any in when they service cars.

Not wanting to face winter and the crappy roads without some sort of screen wash in the car, and in particular to keep it the runny side of frozen does anyone have any suggestions as to which screen washes to avoid as they are known to gunge or which ones are recommended not to gunge?

many thanks
Gunged up screen washers - Victorbox
I use the Halfords pre-mixed blue stuff. I wait until they are doing 15 litres for the price of 10 litres or some similar deal & go to an out of town Halfords as you don't want to be lugging that amount of liquid about! I don't bother with the winter grade pink stuff as down south the blue stuff seems OK. I assume they may sterilise the water in the mix as no gunge or lime scale problems experienced.
Gunged up screen washers - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I use the Halfords concentrate. It comes in a big blue bottle but the liquid is yellow.
Essential in my VW to keep the fan nozzles free and the smell is bearable.
Gunged up screen washers - Falkirk Bairn
Milton or other baby baby bottle steriliser applied every so often will keep algae etc at bay.

A 17 years ago we had a cold winter in Scotland so the car washers had an extra strong addition of screenwash - the smell was a bit overpoweering but at least the washers worked.
My 17 yr old son, however, was convinced I had a drink problem - the quandary to tell his mother about the smell of alcohol or allow me to Drink & Drive!