yr 1997 - revving issue - lydias
I have a Ka 1997 model, if i am driving a long at normal speed and the approch a junction and have to stop as i depress the clutch pedal my car continues to rev very very highly, if i don't touch anything the revs drop back to normal after about 5 seconds this fault is intermitent(it tends to do it when you are in towns im sure it is trying to embarass me!!) although it is now getting worse and is doing it more often than not. I have had a quick look on here and it seems the ka has a few things that can trigger this but i wondered if this had an obvious fault that could be sorted with out costing the earth. I know it is not the cable sticking as i have checked this. Any help would be more than welcome.

Lydia

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 17/10/2007 at 23:52

Ka reving issue - bell boy
Lydia take your car out of gear and start it and physically push the car 4 feet (handbrake off not on a hill obviously)
do the revs increase?
Ka reving issue - lydias
Hi,
I have just tried this and it had no effect at all???????? any ideas ???
Ka reving issue - blue_haddock
possibly the idle contrl valve?
Ka reving issue - bell boy
i fixed a fiesta (same engine) with an idle control valve a few months ago but on reading a thread a few weeks ago screwloose mentioned the road speed senser as being a cause,now its not working on this ka so it is obviously worth the start of the investigations before OP gets in dire straights.
its the thing that comes out of the gearbox with the speedo cable op
an idle control valve looks like this and is worth taking off and cleaning in brake cleaner (ignition off)
tinyurl.com/2x7e7w this is a festa but basically the ka isc is in the same place if you look

hopefully no popups just read my email dont know why pops should pop?
yr 1997 - revving issue - mystery character
I had this problem with my 1999 Ka. I know that there are several different possible causes but, on mine, it turned out to be nothing more than dirty contacts on the plug for the throttle position sensor. It is worth getting hold of some electrical contact cleaner spray (I think that Halfords sell it, or try an electronics supplier such as Maplin or RS) and trying it (remove the plug and spray the contacts on both the plug and the sensor) before moving on to investigate other causes that may be more difficult or expensive to cure.
yr 1997 - revving issue - Rattle
Iam getting sick of this now. My car has been doing this for months and it seems a cure is rather long winded. On Sunday I am spending a few hours trying to get the to bottom of it, I think I have found a partial cure but I need to know the name of the sensor before I can say.

Two common cures that pop up, idle control valve and the wiring loom which can become faulty.

It seems the problem with this engine is as the engine block is ancient and not very efficient ford have compensated for this by using a then state of the art electronic management system but the sensors used don't seem to be good quality.

Funny how the FIAT Punto we had years ago never developed any ECU problems but all the 3 Fords we have had nothing but ECU problems.